KK Falcon Tail wheel

I'm currently constructing this classic model for electric power. My temptation is to fit a castoring tail wheel as opposed to following the plan fixed unit. The model is to be flown exclusively from a grass strip.

Any pros and cons from modellers that have built this machine please?

Cheers

SW

I have a Radio Queen (similar vintage large floaty thing) with a fixed tail wheel. It behaves itself quite well on the ground, though with rather a large turning circle by rudder effect only. I do suspect that a tail wheel which was free to castor would lead to very wobbly progress. Either fixed or steerable would likely be the best bet.

Hi Skippers,

I built my Falcon last year, with a fixed tailwheel as per plan.

It tends to roll left on takeoff, but not enough to cause worry. Touch'n'goes are great if the touch is gentle, but very interesting (!) if the touch is really a wallop...

Ground steering is minimal, but you quickly get used to it - it is not a problem.

I recommend that you stick to the plan design - it does work ok.

An interesting and challenging model - I think you will enjoy it!

Steve.

8.jpg.93f00a319b116f3d776cf10dacfca665.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

There always has to be one out there who doesn't taxi,,,?

I can go better Keith, I throw my planes in the air so no tail wheel is needed,,,?

The Swizzle Stick will taxi, and I am sure Keith does as I do. However, wind will cause the model to weather cock completely defeating my attempts to taxi but that is not the end of my world as I can walk the short distance to place the model for take-off and hopefully the short distance for retrieval, then there are many helpful club mates that will retrieve for me if my landings are not close.

The Falcon will probably be the same in that it will weather cock, but I guess that it's not a model for strong winds.

Steve