Model Technics - Techpower 5 v Optimax

MikeQ

5 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Good! The days of bean juice fuel are long past. 

Not sure synthetics will do a 50 yr old Fox35 CL stunt motor any good.

its not all about RC 😀

Edited by MikeQ

Totally respect your knowledge on motors Jon and no doubt you could demolish any argument i come up with.

However, the fact that virtually nothing i’ve read, been told or heard or seen in use over the years would lead me to believe anything other than castor is the go to for lubricating motors in this category.

happy to be convinced otherwise.  Dogma should always be challenged,

Edited by MikeQ

yea im playing devils advocate a bit here. The thing is that this idea that castor oil is the holy grail of lubricants does seem to endure and i do not really know why. If it really was the magic juice why would we not still use it in cars, aircraft and other piston engine? If synthetic oils can withstand the pressures of racing engines, turbines and 10000miles of driving your road car then they can certainly deal with the requirements of a model aircraft engine. 

Ultimately the engine is more or less irrelevant and its the lubrication properties of the oil that really matter. 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines

2 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

I think the argument goes is that the thicker castor oil helps the piston seal in old engines, must admit though I've got a few older engines that used to run on castor many moons ago and are now quite happy on synthetic mixes.

If you need oil to fill the gaps then throw it away, its ruined 😄 

Well this is certainly a fun thread where I have heard so much about castor oil,,,,

Ok in the 50 and 60's I do remember my brothers Greeves scrambler running on Castrol 'R', and in the 70 and 80's

the local French  Hooligans using it as if the smell gave the another imaginary gear in there 6 geared 120dB Italian 49.9cc 2 strokes😅

but I have never seen castol oil in a go-kart of which I did burn up around 10 litres of petrol an hour in mine, from the middle

90's onwards, "but" modelling is certainly different, I did a bit of Q 500 pylon racing over here and the French model federation

supply the fuel which is 20% castor Methanol, and I stick by my guns, I have used Labema model fuels with  all their so called super additives

and also their 'after run' at the end of the day, but it still didn't protect the bearings on my engines so I will keep on putting at least 2% in my shop bought fuels.

I will add that when I had my model shop from the 90's till 2009 I made and sold my own mix of fuel with the dreaded 2% of caster and never had a customer whining ( ok a bit easy ) about noisy bearings, but nowadays I seem to be forever changing club members bearings,,,