FrSky STK unable to find receiver

Allan Bennett

Weather's looking good for tomorrow, so I took out one of my favourite models that I haven't flown for a long while, to check it over.  Turns out it's so long since I flew it that it's not bound to my transmitter and, worse still, it's still got v1 firmware on it!

So, (1) out with my STK, plug it into my laptop's USB port, (2) start up frsky_update_sport_rev20 program which I've used many times in the past, (3) find the appropriate v2 firmware (already stored on my laptop), (4) connect the X6R receiver's SBUS port to #2 port on the STK, with its DIP switch set to 'Upgrade'.  The left indicator on the updater screen flashes red/green and the right one is solid red, and the LED on the receiver flashes red.  But the message on the updater screen says 'finding receiver ...' and stays like that for ever -- the selected firmware name doesn't appear in the screen and 'Download' button never becomes active.  I've checked this process with another spare receiver, with the same result.

Any ideas please?

Don't plug the Rx in until the updater screen is showing "finding receiver". The Rx only looks for an update for a very short time after it is powered on.

Another way is to only connect ground and signal from the Rx to the STK, then power the Rx from a battery, get to the "finding receiver" stage, then connect the battery to the Rx.

Mike

Thanks MIke.  My normal process has been to only plug the receiver in after 'finding receiver' is displayed.  In the past (maybe 2 years ago) it seemed to find the receiver quite quickly (2 or 3 seconds), and then display the firmware file name and make the 'Download' button active.

For the moment I've put a spare receiver that is already v2 into the model for tomorrow's flying, but after the weekend I'll try powering the receiver separately and connecting only signal and ground to the STK.

Problem solved!

Powering the receiver separately didn't work.  I then tried another receiver, to make sure it's not the receiver that's the problem -- same result.

I then went to the FrSky Download page intending to re-install the frsky_update_sport program, and noticed at the bottom of the STK page a 'Driver - Windows' section.  I downloaded and installed the driver, and the STK is now working as it should.

There's been umpteen Windows 10 updates since I last used the STK, so I guess one of them has invalidated, or is incompatible with, the previous driver.