Things Aren't What They Used to Be - Fortunately!

EvilC57

My late father kept diaries dating from when he was young in the 1940s, right through until shortly before he died in 2009.

I inherited these, and have just got around to reading through a number of them (the ethicality of this is for another discussion!).

In early January 1963 he bought a new Morris 1100 ( I just about remember this, as I was about 6 at the time). It seems that in the week he bought it he wrote a snag list, as follows:

• Driver's inner door handle sticks in open position.
  • Blister in paint on boot lid.
  • Chips in paint on delivery.
  • Loud buzz behind dashboard.
  • High petrol consumption (26mpg).
  • Offside rear door difficult to shut.
  • Headlamps need setting.
  • Engine runs on after switching off ignition.
  • Steering stiff and sqeaks (won't castor).
  • Boot lid rubs body.
  • Windscreen washers u/s.
  • Engine lumpy and hunts on hills.
  • Offside windscreen wiper misses window.
  • Courtesy light u/s.

2 weeks later, there is a note which says "Finished underseal".  Remember those days of doing your own?!

In the middle of February he wrote a 2nd snag list, as follows:

• Near side rear door leaks.
  • Driver's door handle still sticks up.
  • Rubber boot on gear lever split.
  • Loss of coolant.
  • Front passenger seat adjustment jammed.
  • Clutch judders in 2nd gear.
  • Indicator won't cancel when turning right.

In June he lists a number of things he needs to do himself to service the car, including: Clean and check points & plugs, check tappets, weaken mixture, set timing advance.

In July he wrote a 3rd list:

• Boot on gear lever split again.
  • Near side front window winder faulty.
  • Clunk from wiper motor.
  • Clunk from suspension on pulling away (rear drag link?).
  • Offside front corner of car hangs low.

There are various other references to car suspension hanging low throughout the year. Seems BMC's hydrolastic suspension wasn't up to much - like most of the rest of the car!.

We don't know how lucky we are today!!!

Me with the offending car in about 1963 or 64 (I no longer have the rubber duck).

img396 (2).jpg

Edited by EvilC57
Correct typo
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I had an Austin 1100 in British Racing Green 🤣1967 F Reg Mechanically it wasn't too bad, obviously the previous owner(s) had sorted those out but it didn't like rain , had to carry a can of WD40 in the boot to dry out the distributor so you could start it after you had driven in a downpour. The biggest problem was rust, tried to jack it up one day to change a wheel and the jack went up but the car didn't! If only we could have modern car bodies with their improved rust resistance without all the electronic stuff that goes wrong although I must admit that my Toyota has done 120,000 miles with hardly any problems.

1 minute ago, Shaun Walsh said:

I had an Austin 1100 in British Racing Green 🤣1967 F Reg Mechanically it wasn't too bad, obviously the previous owner(s) had sorted those out but it didn't like rain , had to carry a can of WD40 in the boot to dry out the distributor so you could start it after you had driven in a downpour. The biggest problem was rust, tried to jack it up one day to change a wheel and the jack went up but the car didn't! If only we could have modern car bodies with their improved rust resistance without all the electronic stuff that goes wrong although I must admit that my Toyota has done 120,000 miles with hardly any problems.

The wife's car is pretty reliable too . it's the white one on the left.

35000981214_97818356e2_c.jpg

I had a 1968 Austin 1100, and a 1972 Austin 1275GT myself (although why my father went along with them given his experience with the 1100, I don't know!).

Both rusted for a pastime. And I remember pulling the handbrake up in the 1100 one day, and it came off in my hand. All 4 spot welds had broken away; soon drilled out and replaced with nut & bolts.

I seem to remember that in the 1275GT, the exhaust manifold kept cracking and needing welding up to stop it blowing. And in cold weather the twin SU carburettor dash pots used to freeze up on long motroway runs, meaning I had to put my right foot down harder and harder to get any power out of it.

Edited by EvilC57

Most of those faults should have been spotted and fixed by the dealer before delivery or at least at the 500 mile service surely?    Seems a very poor dealer!    But the 1100 was very new in 1963 and that sort of thing happened then to new designs.   By the time my father bought an Austin 1100 in 1966 the car was excellent and gave 5 years trouble free motoring.    Back in 1963 I bought a new Austin Minivan for 397 pounds and that was excellent too -  moral don't buy the latest model wait for the improvements.  A new Mini car version was 440 pounds in 1963 as that included Purchase Tax.   A hydrolastic Mini bought in 1966 was also a good car.

My boss got a new Ford Anglia Super 1200 in 1965 and complained that on delivery brand new there were footprints on the headlining!   A week or two later when the gearlever came away in his hand and the dealer came to repair it he noticed the mechanic had to stand on his head inside the car to refix the gearlever and put a second set of footprints on the headlining.   Mystery solved!

Whatever you thought of your 1960's car I bet you wish you had them now instead of the little bit of cash you sold them for!

8 minutes ago, kc said:

Most of those faults should have been spotted and fixed by the dealer before delivery or at least at the 500 mile service surely?    Seems a very poor dealer!    But the 1100 was very new in 1963 and that sort of thing happened then to new designs.   By the time my father bought an Austin 1100 in 1966 the car was excellent and gave 5 years trouble free motoring.    Back in 1963 I bought a new Austin Minivan for 397 pounds and that was excellent too -  moral don't buy the latest model wait for the improvements.  A new Mini car version was 440 pounds in 1963 as that included Purchase Tax.   A hydrolastic Mini bought in 1966 was also a good car.

My boss got a new Ford Anglia Super 1200 in 1965 and complained that on delivery brand new there were footprints on the headlining!   A week or two later when the gearlever came away in his hand and the dealer came to repair it he noticed the mechanic had to stand on his head inside the car to refix the gearlever and put a second set of footprints on the headlining.   Mystery solved!

Whatever you thought of your 1960's car I bet you wish you had them now instead of the little bit of cash you sold them for!

Yes I believe my father’s was one of the very earliest models, and as you say, a lot of the problems should have been picked up on the PDI. However I guess standards were lower 60 years ago.

1 hour ago, kc said:

A week or two later when the gearlever came away in his hand and the dealer came to repair it he noticed the mechanic had to stand on his head inside the car to refix the gearlever and put a second set of footprints on the headlining.  

Sounds like My old Rover 2000TC, but I didn't notice any footprints in my head lining,,,😆

I was a copper from 1975. Leyland cars, on trial, from about 1980, were subject to sabotage, just to make sure the were not purchased by bosses wanting cheap.

Firm also had a rule, if a station had Marinas, no Fords. Too many, tail end breakaways. (One such, C1, attend xxxxx, alarm activated. Reply, C1, noted, ((parked in shop, having gone through the shop window)).
During one ill considered decision to buy their traffic cars, (all returned for a full refund, or face the publicity), they chucked in 8 or 10 Mini’s, FOC. None survived past 40000 miles. That is less than 12 months running for a proper car. 
Mind, the proper opposition was not good. Just a lot better. Don’t even get me going on their J4 van. The hearing loss I suffer today results. Not even my gripe, unreliable and lethal.

My current car is boring. It starts. It goes all day. It doos not go wrong, despite being a lot more complicated. It is totally predictable to drive. For the last 14 years.

And I will still thrash it, if I feel like it.

Don’t know we are born.

Oooooo, I’ve  just noticed Paul’s note on the Rover 2000 TC. Now the Triumph 2500 PI, was a fine idea, didn’t work, it’s TC replacement equally didn’t work, and was also gutless to boot. On both, break from speed, and the brakes were fading before they stopped. Terrifying. 

Hmm, not only cars.  Here's a letter I sent to BSA about my 1965 BSA Lightning.  At 80mph (legal then) on the motorway the vibration was so bad I couldn't easily read the signposts! 

Dear Sir

A65L frame number A50B -9085
Engine number A650-5309

The above motor cycle was bought from HE Buttlers, Long Eaton in July 1965.  It has since suffered three major engine failures and many other comparatively minor faults during the moderate mileage of approx 25,000

1      Electrical faults

1    Headlamp reflector (corroded)   (18,000)
       2    Ammeter (replacement is now useless) under guarantee (3,000)
       3    A/C generator stator       (18,000)
       4    Rectifier  (replacement proved to have unsoldered joints)  (12,000)
       5    Battery   (12,000)
       6    Contact breaker sets  (weak spring limited rpm to 5,000)   (13,000)

I realise that all the above items are not made by BSA.   However you should bear some responsibility for your choice of suppliers.

2     Cycle part failures

1   Front mudguard stays - 3  (7 - 9,000) 2 replaced under guarantee.  However the stay attachment at the fork leg has come away completely                                   from the 'guard
     2   Front wheel spokes - 2   (6,000 and 20,000)
     3   Rear wheel bearings (7,000)  These had never been properly greased at the factory and two other people with A65L have suffered similar trouble.
     4   Severe and premature corrosion of chrome parts
     5   Silencer (7,500 and 17,000)   These both failed similarly due to parts falling off inside and excessive 'blueing' around the attachment point.
     6   Tacho cable - 2  (10,000 and 18,500) Also the present one failed at 24,000.

3     Engine failures

1   Piston collapsed (9,300) This failure caused the barrel to be broken.  The engine was returned to the works where a very prompt repair was done under guarantee  (I was lucky there, as it happened a week outside the 6 month guarantee -  I did a lot of miles in those days)
     2   Cylinder head broke (17,000)  One of the support brackets for the exhaust rocker spindle broke across an oilway drilling.  A replacement was provided by the works at a cost to me of £4, a deal with which I was very satisfied.  (I was easily satisfied in those days Smiley)
    3    Piston collapsed (25,000)

I have now, at last, lost faith completely in your product.  This third engine catastrophe has necessitated the replacement of both pistons cylinder barrel (again) and a connecting rod.

This machine replaced a six year old car which I had bought only 9 months previously, and which, since it was of only moderate power, was driven very hard indeed.  The difference in reliability is very marked.   Indeed I have recently 'married' a 1965 BMC Mini which my wife bought new, and which is also driven very hard with virtually no trouble.

I would like to take this opportunity of stressing the help and consideration I have received from Buttlers.  Your firm would certainly benefit from more dealers of their calibre.

I am bitterly disappointed that even an outlay of over £340 (!!!!) will not provide me with reliable two-wheeled transport.

I hope you will let me have your comments on these points.

yours faithfully

The Lightning replaced a 1959 Austin A40 Farina that had already had a new engine fitted  and the sills were rotten.  Of course the Mini wasn't perfect either - I replaced the exhaust several times amongst other things. We sold it in 1969 and replaced it with an Austin Healey Sprite Mk 4 in which we did over 100k miles - but with a fair bit of personal spanner work.  It was huge fun to own, though and got us on some great trips in Europe and the UK.

I'd just met my future wife in 1965 and her Mini was brand new.  She still hadn't passed her test and after knowing me for about a month lent me her car 🙂

Ah yes the good old days , now let us take off the rose tinted specs . British motorcycles were great weren't they ? Had to take a bag of tools on any long journey . If you were lucky parts just came loose due to vibration. If you were unlucky they came loose and fell off! Had to check oil regularly/ often  due to oil leaks . I always had a hole in the side of my jeans as the battery was just in the right place ! BSA A10 plunger. Triumph Thunderbird bath tub too many problems to list ! Excelsior Talisman twin rubbish  bike good engine , took it out and fitted it in a Triumph tiger cub frame . Great bike. Then the  reliqble Japanese bike were introduced and the end was in sight for the British bike industry although the chrome would come off in a heavy shower 😉

1 hour ago, Don Fry said:

Arrrr, but Geoff, I trust not your memory. It was a brain in lust for your new beloved. Difficult to think of mere machinery..

It was a truly beautiful bike to look at but ...   A motorcycle club member bought a new Honda 450 twin (I think the first 'big' bike Honda imported) about the same time and I wish I'd had one of them rather than the BSA. 

In the late 60s I went for an interview for a job at BSA development dept in Umberslade Hall. (I rode there on my MSS Velocette) I got the job but very shortly afterwards they wrote and said they'd decided not to appoint anyone and the whole thing collapsed.  One of the things I noticed was that no-one who interviewed me actually rode any of the bikes they were involved in so it was hardly surprising they didn't appreciate the shortcomings. Thus the whole British motorcycle industry collapsed. 

A friend of mine had a 500cc Cheney Triumph which had been ridden by Malcolm Rathmel in the International 6 days trial.  You could replace many components without tools (riders were required to maintain their own machines for the 6 days, within the time limits) - there were duplicate cables in place and a single built in tommy bar released the wheels for puncture repair etc.  He lent it to me to ride the Exeter Trial  (200 miles over night in January!).  It was incredibly smooth and coped well with the icy roads and I got a First Class award.  I think it's in the National Motorcycle Museum now (WGC 103H if anyone sees it 🙂 )  No oil leaks and well silenced, so it was possible to put a brilliant Triumph together.  I can think what it's worth now - IIRC Roger gave £200 for it!

21 minutes ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

What happened to the Duck ? 🦆

I have absolutely no idea! I don’t even remember having it in the first place.

The picture by the way, was I believe, taken on a touring holiday in Southern Ireland. I remember my parents had made up a bed on the rear parcel shelf for my baby brother to sleep on as we drove around. You couldn’t IMAGINE doing that now, but I guess it was before child car seats were invented!

Edited by EvilC57

Neither my wife nor my son know how to check oils, brake fluid or washer levels...... they both say there'll be a warning light to tell them, then they'll get me to do it/take it to the local garage.....

I don't think any of my first 3 or 4 cars visited a garage apart from for new tyres or new exhausts; everything else was done by me or a friend. I remember the worst job ever was changing the clutch in a mini (the proper one not the over-large one you can get now)

We bought a 2016 Mini Cooper for my wife a couple of years ago. When I came to do a routine check on the oil level, I found it had no dipstick. Looking into this, the only way to check the oil, is to go into an ‘oil level check’ function in the car’s multimedia system menu, and with the engine running, wait for 1 minute while the computer takes control of the throttle and does a check with an inbuilt sensor.

Dipsticks worked OK for the first 100 years of motoring, and I can’t see what’s wrong with them myself!

Edited by EvilC57
  • Like 5

I remember taking out the engine , then splitting gearbox because 8168PK , Mini Traveller , jumped out of first gear with a lot of force. Repaired , re installed no problems. Drove it up the road and it wouldn’t stay in top. Luckily , I could trap the lever behind my knee. Drove it for 2 years like that. 😂😂Sold it for a tenner. Colin 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a mother who used to strip down her Austin 7 engines to decoke them in the 1930s. In the 1950s we had an Austin A30, used ever day by my father to go to work. It seemed to survive. Oil change ever fortnight. Rust was the ultimate problem not helped by salt on a bit of road by the sea in bad weather, this despite underseal.

This meant I always serviced what ever I had. In the 1960s, a 1954 Morris Minor, 850 cc which I fitted a 1000 cc short block into. Things tended to fall off, wiring short out due to insulation failing etc. The LandRover Series II wasn't much better as far as engineering went. Badly designed gearbox. Axles always breaking. A Toyota LandCruiser of the same age would never breakdown.

• Like 1

Ford Anglia for me, changed engines, gearboxes, exhausts, regular use of Rust Cure and Isopon(?) for the bodywork when it came to new Cills and tyres a visit to a back street mechanic was needed. Those were the days when one double ended ring spanner was all that was needed for most jobs. My Dad had one bought in 1962 for £605, it was the deluxe version and came with a heater but paid extra for a glovebox, and kept it going for 250,000 miles, we used to regularly visit the scrap yard for parts but as time went on the bits that failed became harder to find and eventually, he had to accept the inevitable and buy a new car.

Now I never touch it, I have lifted the bonnet but all I could see was a large flat piece of plastic. Modern cars come with a ten-year rust warranty, even my company Vectra and was good for fifteen years, a pity that other parts did not have the same life span then I would not have had to keep stopping to retrieve bits that fell off.

Steve

I have a 1974 2200SC P6 Rover. It's generally been pretty reliable but it's not my daily driver*. I've owned it since 1997 and drove it from England to the South of France in 1998 and to Grenada in Spain in 1999. Since then it's participated in several classic car events including three times in the Troyes 48 Heures rallies. Agree it starts and runs better on electronic ignition!

* My daily driver is a 1998 VW LT28 van but with the price of fuel these days I think I'll get my bike out!

True Grit by the floods (Small).JPG