Plane Restraint

Zflyer

Tailplane for me - 'cos I'm used to it, and don't have any low wingers.  I think there's only one regular member, and one visitor who restrains by the wings.

Have to say I've never seen a 'failure' of either type...... but never seen anything larger than 35cc.

In my 2 clubs I can’t think of anyone who restrains by the wing, models (of all sizes) are restrained via the tail

Never seen a tail separate/damaged using this method 

i made this 22 year ago and it still serves me well, the uprights have copper pipe foam lagging and wrapped off with electricians tape 

3C2A3F9A-4738-4361-96AE-87C44817AF19.jpeg

Edited by Craig Carr

13 hours ago, J D 8 said:

Wing for me, model box on one side and a plastic electric fence post on the other spacing adjusted for size of aircraft.

Nearly the same for me, model box on the left wing and my body or my parasol on the left wing, I have all my fingers to prove that it's safe,,😇

Occasionally a decent strap around the tail when running it in my garden pointing it against a wall.

24 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Nearly the same for me, model box on the left wing and my body or my parasol on the left wing, I have all my fingers to prove that it's safe,,😇

Occasionally a decent strap around the tail when running it in my garden pointing it against a wall.

What stops it pivoting around one of the left wing restraints ?🤔

15 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Left MODEL BOX right ME,,, you can see it here in the background, do you want me to weigh it ?.

Are you in two places at the same time ?

3 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Nearly the same for me, model box on the left wing and my body or my parasol on the left wing, I have all my fingers to prove that it's safe,,😇.

😉

Oh dear has the heat got into you in Blighty ?.😆

Zoom in to the right at the end where you can see my Fokker Eindekker,

the left of the wing is blocked by my model box, starter on the ground in front of it, and my radio and myself are when I start it ,blocking the right wing with my leg, the same applies when tethered by the tail, when on our model tables ( I have a picture with an Autogyro if you can imagine it with a wing🙃)  it's my body, now can I get back to the pool ?.

aix Fokker terrain.JPG

Autogyre N° 1.JPG

19 hours ago, Zflyer said:

Jus a quick question, do you prefer restraining a model using the leading edge of the wing or the leading edge of the tailplane.

Whole thing sits in a cradle on a stand. Pipe lagging makes it soft and gentle etc etc.

Stand has flight box weighing it down.

Ultimately, restrained by the wing, I suppose.

Some models don't fit. In which case, wing it with flight box and leg as per Paul's post. I try and make sure the wiping rag stops the hard bits of the box from contacting the LE of the wing.

I use the club bench stand (that restrains the wings) or the Y type in front of the tail if its a ground start.

Couple of issues with the bench, firstly I have a couple of models where the wheels sit against the uprights which can allow the model to pitch forwards so needs a tail restraint and secondly nacelles on twins don't fit the uprights pitch.

PS if a tail comes off a model with a Y peg, I would be surprised it would last in flight TBH

• Like 1

Model set up table has built in vertical posts to restrain the LE, then a bungee cord over the rear fuselage in fron of the fin to hold the tail down. Usually sufficient for smaller models. 

Very large/powerful models I would probably want to use a helper if I could, but my models are usually sub 60" and no more than 40 size or electric equivalent. 

I discovered the 'Airopult' while searching for restraint devices for my Xtra Wot.

The frame pegs into the ground securely, the rear padded restraints fold up/down and are released by the foot pedal from behind when ready to taxi.

There is a second set of restraints that fold upright behind the undercarriage legs, these allow pressure to be applied to the spinner by an electric starter without holding the model by hand.

Not the cheapest option but it was the safest method I could find for lone operation of a large model (with a large engine and propeller!).

20200525_112538923_iOS.thumb.jpg.a6d0899f2f413bd03aec6588b179afb6.jpg

20200525_134620031_iOS.thumb.jpg.4a3a1a284db0eb7b68a03d570dfe1e2c.jpg