Building board advice please

Kim Bailes

Having recently moved halfway round the world to Australia and now wishing to get back into model flying, I find you cannot get the Sundeala board that I used for making a building board. (I used to laminate it on to a sheet of 19mm MDF and it would take model pins really well).

Can I ask what other materials people have used successfully for a building board please?  I am old school so would rather not go down the magnetic type board if I can avoid it.

Grateful for any advice, especially from any modellers here in Queensland!

Many thanks

Kim

One thing that is not obvious is that plasterboard can be cut easily by just scoring with a Stanley knife and snapping it apart over a batten, then cut the remaining paper.  Easy!  so forget saws and take a knife and batten when you buy an 8 x 4 sheet and reduce it to a size to fit your car.

Several smaller pieces come in handy for building tailplanes etc.

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Kim Bailes said:

Thanks guys, i just happen to have some plasterboard left over from some work i have been doing on the house.  i will definitely give it a try!

I used two pieces of plasterboard to build the Big Guff. I'm still using it for smaller projects and if it wears out I'll turn it over and start again. Cheap as chips!

Lenthening Plasterboard.JPG

Maiden Flight.jpg

• Like 1

On 13/07/2022 at 12:52, Keith Billinge said:

I rescued a bit of plasterboard from a skip to build a wing on.

These days I have a flat bit of plywood with some cork tiles stuck to it.

When I dropped my grandaughter off at her gymnastic club (which meets in a local school gymnasium) there was a skip outside as building work was going on. In the skip were some very large sheets of sundela - obviously from old notice boards. I put some of it in the back of the car and removed the old paper staples when I got back. Job's a good 'un!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, David Ovenden said:

When I dropped my grandaughter off at her gymnastic club (which meets in a local school gymnasium) there was a skip outside as building work was going on. In the skip were some very large sheets of sundela - obviously from old notice boards. I put some of it in the back of the car and removed the old paper staples when I got back. Job's a good 'un!

You're a lucky man - that is high quality skip-diving. 😎

• Like 1

• 2 months later...