FMS Fox v2

I am relatively new to gliding having been flying a Radian motor glider for a few years. It virtually flies itself. I have now "upgraded" to an FMS FOX V2. It is taking a bit of sorting but slowly getting there. I have a query with the COG as per the instruction sheet.

Each wing panel is 1235 mm long, 235mm at the root and 95mm at the tip. The leading edge is straight so the taper is all on the trailing edge. The suggested balance point is 40 mm behind the leading edge at the root which to me looks too far forward.

Anty suggestions please  as to whether the cog is correct.

John

John do not fly this model with the original white folding propellor blades, even the revised ones can snap across the root pivot point.

Pal of mine had it happen and the out of balance forces ripped the motor out of the firewall actually shearing the aluminium mounting and the ply bulkhead.  Twisted up all the 3 wires up to the ESC and pulled that forward out of its velcro mounting in the time it took him to close the throttle.  Luckily the bec wire was still attached to the Rx and he could land as a glider.  The canopy was popped off 1/2 a mile away when it happened due to the twisting of the fuselage.  Took us half the day to find it in the next field.  Also it took FMS 5 months to replace his damaged fuselage and I advised him on some quality prop blades which are carbon and will not shear across the pivot holes.

HTH John M

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A quick Google indicates somewhere between 43-50mm back is what others are using...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2360052-FMS-Fox-Glider-V2

TBH on a dead straight wing like this I would jsut use one of the many good calculators online, they won't give you the perfect position (only flight testing does that) but they will always get you close enough to validate if a manufacturer has made a mistake or not...

https://www.ecalc.ch/cgcalc.php