Alex Whittaker

Kevin Fairgrieve

So sad! I've met him once when I was over in the UK for a meeting, and he seemed like a really fun guy, very popular with all the other pilots present. RIP.

Someone has got to fill all these blank pages in RCM&E...............and match the quality of Alex' excellent photo's.

A friend called me early this morning with the sad news.  I'm lost for words, I really liked Alex.

Enthusiastic & bubbly, always had time to chat. Never saw him lose it even when he forgot his batteries  🙂

We shared an interest in electronics, R/C and shed-life in general.  Gobsmacked, I dont know what to say other than RIP Alex.

Cheers

Phil

I'm finding it hard to believe that we have lost Alex. I never met him but, like so many others, felt I knew him. 

I looked forward to all his articles in RCM&E. It always felt as if he was chatting to you as a mate.

Condolences to his family.

RIP Alex.

I had a good chat with him at Old Warden ModelAir event a few weeks ago so was shocked to hear this news late yesterday. He always had an infectious enthusiasm for RC flight photography and a unique character and energy on RC show and event flightlines as he glided around taking fantastic images through his big lenses. Rest in peace Alex.

Alex was a good mate of mine. He always called me, “old man” but we found out he was born the day after me! He said, “ I told you you were an old man”. We had parallel experiences in Lancaster in our student days in the early 70’s. We often met up at various meetings, he reporting for RCM&E and me Model Flyer. His drinking sessions in the command centre (caravan) were legendary! He was immense fun and absolutely useless at remembering stuff! Without Mike Parry to take his meticulous notes he was hopeless so he made it up! RCM&E will not be the same without his enthusiasm, contribution and dedication to get the camera footage and story every month. We were very similar in outlook and our shed habits but I simply couldn’t compete with his output of column inches! To say he’ll be missed is an understatement of the first order. He is irreplaceable. 

• Like 3

Alex was such a lively friendly fellow, he was interested in Model aero engine building and skilled in that and so many other aspects of the hobby.

I last saw him in usual good form at Buckminster.

It seems impossible that he is no longer with us, and will be greatly missed by the areomodelling and boat fraternity.