Alex Whittaker

Kevin Fairgrieve

Only just come across this very sad news of Alex passing.

I used to see Alex  regular at Rochdale indoor flying meetings.

Found him to be a very nice man to chat too and get along with.

This is so sad. :classic_sad:

I have many videos of him Pointing his camera at to many models buzzing around him. He was so enthusiastic.

Here is just one of those times he would get amongst the models.

So sad, my condolences go to his family and all those that knew him closy.

Steve :classic_sad:

• Like 1

I was deeply saddened to hear that we have lost one of the stalwarts of aeromodelling and an all round great bloke. I will never forget Alex and crash Parry dragging me into the command module (caravan) and forcing me to eat soup, god I was cold, but it was the Nationals after all. Alex probably saved me from pneumonia that day. 
Alex showed me the ropes as I shared the hallowed cross at Barkston Heath, clicking my Nikon next to your machine gun of a Cannon. I am eternally grateful for Alex's help and friendship over the years.
An amazing engineer, great photographer, and the only guy I know that could write 500 words on masking tape, and still leave you entertained. 
Hats off sir, plain sailing and blue skies. Thoughts to Freda and the family RIP Alex

• Like 4

A man who was the epitome of the 'Traditional British Modeller', a truly 'Shedly man'. I conversed with him via email over his Firefly 46 and always got a reply. One of the worlds true gentlemen. RIP, yours are big boots to fill.

I am in shock.  So, so sad.  An immense loss to all.  We never met, but were in contact on the various www applications.  Always ready for a bit of banter and sound advice.  Missing you already.

My heartfelt condolences to the blond person and all the family, may you have a long, healthy life, with fond memories.

It's hard to know what to say, he  was only posting videos last week testing power boats out in the Med and relaxing on his boat.

I was lucky enough to meet Alex on numerous occasions through the years and he was always full of enthusiasm, his un biased interest in all forms of aeromodelling/engineering stood him out from the rest.

I will miss him, RIP Alex

The news of Alex's passing filtered through to BMFA Buckminster on Saturday morning during our centenary weekend and the WarBirds  Fly In. We had anticipated Alex would be with us on Friday so the news was received with shock and universal sadness. Later in the morning Ian Pallister, Chair of the BMFA, gave a warm tribute and we held a minutes silence to remember Alex, his family and close friends.

Alex has made an enormous contribution to model flying through his photography,  journalistic skills and warmth of character. His great report in RCM&E, which arrived this morning, on the Indoor Free Flight Scale Nationals reminded me of the last time we spoke and laughed together.

He will be greatly missed for so many reasons. Very sad.

Paul Hoey

Chair of the BMFA Centenary Planning Group

• Like 7

I knew Alex very well, well he certainly knew me! Strange to think when I spoke to him last, know what we talked about, the day (at Shuttleworth), what he was doing(Having tea in his command module) before going away to another venue the next day. Also his voice, what he sounded like, but that is no more, all the past events and meetings that Alex and I had, are now living in my memory, with me until I depart this world.

Makes you think about mortality - do this whilst you can, you never know when i might end. Alex did, always busy, till the last...

• Like 10

I was spectating at Buckminster on Saturday when the news filtered through.  I was totally shocked because if anyone epitomised 'being alive' it was Alex.  He always seemed to be enjoying himself.  He was a regular visitor to our scale day at Ashbourne.  He will be greatly missed both personally and for his articles and photographs. 

Condolences to his friends and family,

• Like 2

Lovely chap, we met for the first time at the Nats a few years ago when he insisted on taking this pic and chatting up my wife….helluva character always wanted to chat and soooo enthusiastic, he had an infectious grin, always made me laugh as you can see

20D65D01-2043-47EA-9456-E9C306E073DF.jpeg

Edited by Bustergrunt

Despite the perfect flying weather on Saturday morning there was an air of quiet disbelief at the very sad and shocking news of the passing of one of our own (Delyn MFC) members. He was a larger than life guy and had an opinion on most things.

I had a good laugh with him at a club meeting earlier this year discussing we Welsh folk and our jumbled up expressions such as “who’s coat is this jacket” etc. When I told him about a South Wales saying “Sh1t myself ‘av you?” he was mopping his tears for five minutes or more. A Cardiff accolade is to describe someone or something as “half tidy” which is pretty high praise indeed. Alex, certainly was that.

• Like 4

I logged into the thread not realising what its content was. Initially I thought it was a bad joke, before realising what it is about.

I only met him breifly at the Manchester Model Fair (Trafford Park) then subsequently at a LMA exhibit at Haydock Park (horse racing track). Never really spoke, as I realised this was a job of work as well as his passion.

Those who say there is now a big hole in Mag and modeling in general are obviously correct.

Yet my deepest  sympathies are with his close family. That is where the biggest loss will be felt.

• Like 2

From Alex's Facebook page:

While we feel deep sorrow at Alex Whittaker’s passing on Friday 15th July, we would like to thank everybody for their love and support during this time through their calls, texts, posts, cards and flowers.

We want to celebrate all of our happy, joyous memories of him and would like any friends and family to attend to share this moment.
A funeral service will be held at St James Church, Holywell, CH87PN on Wednesday 27th July at 3:00PM followed by a service at Denbighshire Memorial Park and Crematorium, St Asaph LL170LG.

Alex lived life to the fullest and took every opportunity to celebrate. He would want us all to celebrate together on this occasion.
We ask that anybody planning to attend kindly wear bright floral colours as will the family in memorial of Alex’s trademark bright coloured shirt selection! This is of course optional, you are welcome to wear whatever you feel most comfortable in.

Please note no flowers.
Thank you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David Ashby - Moderator said:

From Alex's Facebook page:

While we feel deep sorrow at Alex Whittaker’s passing on Friday 15th July, we would like to thank everybody for their love and support during this time through their calls, texts, posts, cards and flowers.

We want to celebrate all of our happy, joyous memories of him and would like any friends and family to attend to share this moment.
A funeral service will be held at St James Church, Holywell, CH87PN on Wednesday 27th July at 3:00PM followed by a service at Denbighshire Memorial Park and Crematorium, St Asaph LL170LG.

Alex lived life to the fullest and took every opportunity to celebrate. He would want us all to celebrate together on this occasion.
We ask that anybody planning to attend kindly wear bright floral colours as will the family in memorial of Alex’s trademark bright coloured shirt selection! This is of course optional, you are welcome to wear whatever you feel most comfortable in.

Please note no flowers.
Thank you.

Anybody know why/ how poor Alex passed ?. Hope to God there was no pain or anything horrible.

21 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

He will be missed . Condolences to his family.

Who will replace Alex ? It's a sad time but the continuance of the mag must be a priority .

There are more than a handful of literate lads on this site who contribute common sense daily, and could fill the Magazine monthly, with useful, informed articles.

At least 5 or 6 of you stand out, and should consider contributing to the magazine.

Your skills shared daily include builds, materials, printing, scale builds, scale flying, gliders, glider set ups,  Tx and Rx set up, charging packs, purchasing, motors, ESCs, I/C motors, purchasing, tuning, cleaning, servicing and On and on and on.

• Like 4