covering film

r6dan

4 hours ago, Don Fry said:

I’ve always reckoned Profilm and HobbyKing is the same plastic. It tacks at the same temperature, shrinks at the same temperature, melts at the salme temperature, and shrinks by the same amounts. 

Maybe. Does Profilm leave a visible white glue line on overlaps?

Personally I like the HK/4 Max/Rapid RC film which are Polyester so almost burn proof like Oracover. However they only have one layer with colour and glue so can leave some colour behind if not careful if removed without heat. Oracover traps the colour between two layers then the glue so removes cleanly - I believe that is the difference for a price.

• 8 months later...

Does anyone share my enthusiasm for Ripmax AeroFilm? I have covered my last three builds with it and am currently covering a DB Tiger Moth in silver (the immediate post-war RAF trainer silver/yellow scheme). It is relatively cheap, very opaque, sticks like you know what to a blanket, no backing film to wrestle with, goes round compound curves really well and shrinks like a good 'un.  I would have preferred Solartex but...........

David

The Easycote 2nds in red that I tried to use is very thin and translucent. It doesn't cover the black lines of a laser cut structure and I found it stays sticky after cooling.

I am, by contrast, refurbishing a model with 4Max covering which goes on extremely well at low temperature and shrinks very nicely. Because of the low temperature characteristic, it doesn't go mat when rubbed over with the iron. It's also much cheaper than Profilm and at least as good. So goodbye Profilm with your arm and a leg pricing, it was good whilst it lasted.