A close shave

Hi All,

I went up to the attic this morning before it got too hot up there with the intention of removing all of the RX batteries from my models ahead of these high temperatures they are forecasting, they are forecasting for me around the 36 degree mark and thinking if is going to be 36 degrees outside  then inside the attic it going to a lot lot more and I got a bit of a surprise in doing so and soooo glad I did.

I found two LiFe batteries puffed up with one looking as if it would burst

The Nimh batteries all appear fine.

IMG_20220716_104333.thumb.jpg.0afb1ff57cda0b873edc1e6f29e7a3b7.jpg

The one on the left came out of my Top Flite P40, the middle one is new just for size comparison and the one on the right came out of my Balsa USA Taube.

Both batteries are now cooling off in a bucket of salt water

If it had bust into flames I could have lost my house and worse.

From now on I think all batteries will remain in the workshop in sight

Regards

Robert

• Like 2

I have been trying to work out how to store lipos without freezing or boiling. Also all being well without using technology and outside the house. I have monitored the temperature since January on a shelf in my shed and also in the back corner, against the concrete floor and a retaining wall, covered in just a cloth. It was not a cold winter, shelf temperature only went down to zero, but the floor remained at 5, this week the shelf was up at 32, the floor at 19. It seems to be a good place to build a battery storage, with not much insulation required.

I store mine on the floor in the back toilet, above the box is the alkathene pipe that carries water to said toilet.

Should they ignite I recon the water from melted pipe would cool them.

Also not much else that can burn in there other than the toilet roll.:classic_smile:

• Like 1

My LiPos are stored in pukka LiPoSacks and Sentry Fire Safes inside a locked steel cabinet, with ventilation out the back. The workshop is temperature controlled and at a steady 16 degrees C - the most comfortable place to be this week, for bods as well as batteries.

Personally I wouldn't be at all comfortable with leaving LiPos in a model in storage,  though LiFes supposedly provide a lower combustion risk, but despite using lots of lithium batteries, I'm still sticking with those Nimhs where the receiver pack is semi-permanently mounted in the model.

My Lipos are stored in metal ammo boxes in the garage. They lay on the concrete floor away from other flamable materials.

I remove a tiny bit of the rubber seal round the lid in case of a lipo fire, just to releive a bit of pressure to stop the ammo box going bang.

Hopefully this won't allow enough air into the box to support combustion.

I bring 1 box at a time into the house for charging porposes. where I keep a beady eye on the procedures.

I feel this is a pretty safe bet.

Good quality ammo boxes are cheap and easy to find. They are strong and made of decent metal. I think they are a great solution.

If I get really paranoid I thought I could easily line the ammo boxes with plasterboard.

I currently have 3 of the .50Cal variety.

1 For charged batteries going to the field. 1 for storage charge. 1 for discharged at the field but not yet storage charged.

KB

Edited by Keith Billinge
Bums