Completely Flummoxed ........

Adrian Smith 1

Something I haven't encountered before, but I may have been lucky. I installed a new motor in My SkyWing Edge 540 74"er 

IMG_0801.jpg.5ef606551c96adc2e2a829a07f523c2b.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg.c7074718cc0bcae4582949560e3107c7.jpg

However, I am have problems getting it to run. I have tried two different ESCs (110A HV FlyFun Opto  & 120A HV  Dualsky Opto both sutable for 12s setups) and what happens is the motor starts and after a few seconds dies in both instances. With and without prop.  In neither case can I get the motor to start again. I am using a 12s setup with the lipos installed using my usual series plug adapter. I have used identical rated lipos in testing (2x 5000mAh). The separate RX battery performs as it should with all working surfaces operating with the Futaba TX.  I do wonder if the ESC is shutting off due to overload, but I have no way of establishing this. I have checked that the throttle channel is reversed as is always the case with Futaba. The fact the motor runs for a few seconds suggests it not that anyway. I am going to rewire/solder the set up this afternoon, but I am wondering if I have written off 2 ESCS in the process 😬. I am beginning to wonder if its the motor (new or not) , but I have no simple way of testing it in isolation. I am looking for ideas as what to do next ....? 🤨

My first thought would be to check the ESCs with a known good motor - if for some reason they have been damaged, you don't want to kill another one!  Then, if they are OK the motor must be suspect - perhaps a dry joint on one of the connectors?

If the ESCs fail the known good motor test then it's back to the supplier...and a discussion over the two ESCs that the motor has toasted.  Good luck!

• Thanks 1

A good starting point, Martin. Testing the ESCs on a good motor on one of my flying planes is the nuclear option as it involves taking good models apart (cowls etc) , but I may have to do it. I don't hold out any success with suppliers what ever I find purely because connectors have been soldered on and as such all the equipment is not pristine any more. It will be a personal write off  if any of it proves faulty. 

Martin beat me to it,

But you are right to ? ESCs and connections

Basically, a correctly connected/ soldered motor, does not decide itself to run or not.

You know the ESC provides power via the position of rotation to each magnet, becoming the order to advance to the next and so on.

You are both spot on.

Establish the 3 leads have continuity, and the ESCs in my case, play a tune.

You are right too about overvoltage. If the ESC detects " too much " anything, it shuts down.

I usually test this with a pack below 100% charge, just not fresh off the charger.

The worrying factor is that both ESCs seem to have worked once and then showed no inclination to power the motor?

Surely it’s a given that a purchaser would solder connectors or ESC wires to the motor so I see no reason why this would invalidate a claim for defective goods. Consequent damage would be more problematical to prove but if the supplier cares about their reputation, you might be in with a chance without resorting to more drastic measures. 

I have checked and renewed all solder joints although they seemed ok. The cells voltages were all around 3.85v per cell which it has been the case when installing a similar power train and has not caused an issue. I am going to swap out another motor\ESC I know is fine and test this week. Chris, I normally have had no problem with Dualsky motors and swear by them too so I am a bit surprised at this issue. I will try it on 6S as you suggest.

As you say, Martin it's a bit worrying re: the ESCs. If it comes to it the motor came from Kings Lynn Models so we will see should that be the case.  If the ESC no longer work I think that will be my loss I guess.

Dad Flyer - it's only on this particular 12s set up.

• Like 1

Might be worth checking the lipo packs separately under load first to make sure you don’t have a duff cell in one of them. You’ll need a multimeter, wattmeter, or battery checker for this.

I’d also check the esc settings as well for low voltage cut off and number of cells. It can be all too easy to enter program mode when you’re setting things up as I’ve found to my cost! What have you used to configure the esc’s?

If you have a multimeter you can also use it to measure the resistance of the cell windings and that there are no shorts to the motor case. 

Doesn’t sound as if you fried the esc because you’ve not said anything about smoke and smells, and on a 12s system if something went that wrong I think you’d let the magic smoke out!

HTH

idd

Well today was a successful day if a time consuming testing one. I started off by making/soldering a new wiring loom despite my not being convinced this was the problem. I then tested my lipos, TX & RX, then onto the motor. I decided to fit a different motor, namely a Dualsky GA3500 (Racing Version) that I was saving for a different project, to my Skywing Edge 540 74" plane. Well I tested both ESCs and low and behold both worked absolutely fine after extensive testing. Therefore I must have a duff motor as illustrated at the start of this thread, although I don't know why. It was bought new for around £110 and I really think the supplier needs to test it to confirm an issue with it. However, I am not very optimistic of getting that agreed to. Anyway, I am relieved to have cracked the problem. Thanks to all of the suggestions received.  😀 😃

• Like 1