Is Model Flying on the way out?

I have been in this Hobby for some 70 years since the age of 6 years old and up until recently have enjoyed most of my time in it, designing and building from scratch most of the Models that I have flown, from Rubber powered to large Glow 4 strokes from freeflight to RC. I have flown in demonstrations at Sandown (Racecourse) in the early 70's and Sloap soared from various sites over the years, It is with great regret that I have come to the conclusion of my endeavours due to Illness and also the fact that the Hobby has become more and more restrictive in just the era when Kits and accessories are affordable for most of us. I wish all of you sucess in your endevours within this Hobby and hope you all cope well with the current restrictions and future ones.

Thank you, Bob N.

• Like 1

On the way out? no, but changing very much. 

My experience is that the life long modeller is a thing of the past. Since i was 10 years old i have been the youngest regular flyer at every club i have ever flown at. All the others that have come in younger than me fade away within a few years at most. 

Its not just youngsters, adults join, fly for a few years, and then move on to something else. Society as a whole is more throwaway and transient than it was and so people seem to dabble in this and that for a while and then move on to something else. Some may disagree, and thats fine, but this has been my experience. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, robert Noble 2 said:

It is with great regret that I have come to the conclusion of my endeavours due to Illness

Sorry to hear that Robert it's always sad news when a modeler has to give up. Myself I am determined to keep going as long as I can but fear that I am not far behind you as for the Model Flying, I have no doubt that it will keep going.

Steve

is it/isnt it(on its way out)? who knows ...its definitely changing with the times...i'm not convinced we have the numbers of young people coming into the hobby as nower days there is so much more other stuff to entertain themselves with ...and the cost of the whole package at the minute...model gear,club membership,insurance and fuel cost to the club field is a canny wallop before other things..........the BMFA must know the average profile of a member? at our club and others around the area......the memberships have more years behind them than in front of them......

ken anderson....ne...1...is it/isn't it dept.