Notam Notification?????

Hi All

Recently a club member of the Marston Green Model Flying Club (located close to BHX airport) notified the committee of a recent Notam that would come into force 22 July, on inspection not only did the restriction to fly cover our flying field but several other clubs in the central midlands area, the reason for the Notam ? Commonwealth Games.

I have tried without success to get a response from the BMFA and Andy Symons.

We have spent many hours trying to establish if our club can register with the Police and the CAA to receive Notam's  and unfortunately we have come up with a blank. So unless you have an avid plane spotter or a pilot in your club it would seem you have to check the CAA website regularly.

If the CAA are charging flyers to fly in a responsible way then I would suggest they make the effort to contact the BMFA in a timely manner with Notam notifications.

Birmingham-Commonwealth-Games-Airspace-Restrictions.pdf BRIEFING_SHEET_RESTRICTION_OF_FLYING_REGULATIONS_XXII_COMMONWEALTH_GAMES_22_JULY-V1.pdf

1 hour ago, Pete Knight said:

Hi All

Recently a club member of the Marston Green Model Flying Club (located close to BHX airport) notified the committee of a recent Notam that would come into force 22 July, on inspection not only did the restriction to fly cover our flying field but several other clubs in the central midlands area, the reason for the Notam ? Commonwealth Games.

I have tried without success to get a response from the BMFA and Andy Symons.

We have spent many hours trying to establish if our club can register with the Police and the CAA to receive Notam's  and unfortunately we have come up with a blank. So unless you have an avid plane spotter or a pilot in your club it would seem you have to check the CAA website regularly.

If the CAA are charging flyers to fly in a responsible way then I would suggest they make the effort to contact the BMFA in a timely manner with Notam notifications.

Birmingham-Commonwealth-Games-Airspace-Restrictions.pdf 415.66 kB · 4 downloads BRIEFING_SHEET_RESTRICTION_OF_FLYING_REGULATIONS_XXII_COMMONWEALTH_GAMES_22_JULY-V1.pdf 3.53 MB · 5 downloads

Further to my earlier post, I have received from Andy.

Hi Peter

Struggling to keep cool at the moment, I hope you are managing though.

At the moment no flying of any unmanned aircraft, as stated on the briefing sheet, can take place between the stated dates and times without permission from West Midlands Police. I am awaiting for a response from the Police, there is precedent from CoP26 last year in Glasgow to permit as much activity as reasonably possible. However I am aware of a refusal of permission for one club so far.

If it is possible to get permission for club activities to take place there is still a problem as there is signal jamming in place that may affect UAS control.

Once I have a  definitive response from West Midlands Police I will be contacting all affected clubs.

Best Regards

Andy Symons

Club Support Officer

Andy also pointed me to Skywise.caa.co.uk where you can register for latest updates

Ironic isn't it.

One sporting and hobby activity is stopped so that others can undertake theirs.

Sadly, we seem to be the poor relation be it planning permission, noise, cessation of activities for one reason or another. Yet the likes of football, cricket, cycling and athletics, even on an amateur basis, get vast sums of public money and acceptance from local authorities and the public at large.

If only we could change that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

A few elderly gents in a field playing with toy planes is always going to lose out to hundreds of athletes and tens of thousands of spectators as a terrorist target, which I suppose this NOTAM is based on.......

It could be argued that a few young gents playing with javelins is no different. Most participants are amateur and whilst the numbers are higher, the principle is the same.

The issue must be us, we must be so minor and insignificant that nobody outside our group gives us a second look.

Even showing dogs (which I've had some involvement in) gets a week long slot on primetime TV.

The perception of "a few elderly gents playing with toy planes" is perhaps the issue. 

Local authorities produce playing pitch and sports strategies. They pay consultants to assess the usage and quantity of sports facilities and sites are leased to sports clubs, often for minimal fees, which are usually passed on to the end users. No doubt our hobby doesn't feature much. I guess it comes down to demand, perception and popularity. 

Hopefully somehow it can change for the better!

I’d like to see the justification for stopping model flying at an established site and the reasons why this impedes the policing of the games, maybe many miles away rather than a simple statement from the police telling us that it was for the greater good and not to bother asking for permission as they won’t even consider the circumstances.  

If the technology is as advanced as suggested in the communication then you would think it fairly simple to discount activity limited to a reasonable radius of an approved site. 

It seems to be the thin end of a wedge which could lead to bans in the future for lesser events so perhaps the BMFA would consider challenging this decision?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Chris Berry said:

It could be argued that a few young gents playing with javelins is no different. Most participants are amateur and whilst the numbers are higher, the principle is the same.

The issue must be us, we must be so minor and insignificant that nobody outside our group gives us a second look.

Even showing dogs (which I've had some involvement in) gets a week long slot on primetime TV.

The perception of "a few elderly gents playing with toy planes" is perhaps the issue. 

It's hundreds if athletes and tens of thousands of spectators..... but I take your points. 

It's outrageous to have such swingeing restrictions on model flying and a good reason why this hobby should have taken the sensible position of distancing itself from the drone hobby when that began to emerge. Model aeroplanes are not drones, have been around for decades and the notion that legitimate model aeroplane operation is any sort of tangible terrorist threat is not well founded. In courting the supposed huge influx of drone flyers into the BMFA we have effectively ensured that we are all tarred with the same brush, even in the eyes of an uninformed public.

Edited by leccyflyer
  • Like 1

Remember Christmas 2018

Britain sent troops to its second-biggest airport after an unprecedented attempt to cripple Christmas travel with large drones forced all flights to be cancelled on Thursday.

These devices then started to appear from 2019 in significant places, jammers.

IMG_20220124_143655.jpg

IMG_20220124_143308.jpg

Edited by Denis Watkins

As it happens the club I fly with falls just outside the no fly zone. The restrictions would apply regardless of the drone implication. The part that should be found 'annoying' is the late notification, though I doubt any appeals would have been considered in any event. How many sites does it affect, I suspect not many given the conurbation it covers.

Another consideration is how many days during the restrictive period would the weather be good enough to fly ?

It isn't great, I understand and I don't like it much like everyone else but the broader picture needs to be taken into consideration.

AS for the Super Highway I look forward to a drone delivering in my street with its criss crossed telephone lines, large bushes and shrubs.

As an aside anyone subject to the restriction looking to fly elsewhere, if you want to PM me I will do my best to see if we can accommodate you.

• Like 2

The following excerpt from West Midlands Police’s reply to the BMFA when it applied for an exemption from the restrictions for local clubs pretty much sums up the situation that model fliers find themselves in today…

We then have to consider the necessity of the application, and implications should the proposed activity not take place. As such, whilst applications are welcome, I can state that any recreational or hobbyist activity will be declined, and this applies to both manned and unmanned aerial activities.

Model fliers have been pushed into a corner into which we can only be squeezed more tightly. Allowing local police forces such as WMP to make these decisions on a subject about which that they have little experience or knowledge, and to make a blanket ‘no’ decision with regard to recreational and hobbyist activities cannot be fair or right. For them to give a negative answer such as that which they gave to the BMFA was just the easy option.

Perhaps all of those affected in the West Midlands should contact their Police and Crime Commissioner.

I wonder what the BMFA’s thoughts would have been if the NOTAM had extended to cover Buckminster… a National Flying Centre where flying is banned! Not yet perhaps but…

Brian.

7 minutes ago, RottenRow said:

The following excerpt from West Midlands Police’s reply to the BMFA when it applied for an exemption from the restrictions for local clubs pretty much sums up the situation that model fliers find themselves in today…

We then have to consider the necessity of the application, and implications should the proposed activity not take place. As such, whilst applications are welcome, I can state that any recreational or hobbyist activity will be declined, and this applies to both manned and unmanned aerial activities.

Model fliers have been pushed into a corner into which we can only be squeezed more tightly. Allowing local police forces such as WMP to make these decisions on a subject about which that they have little experience or knowledge, and to make a blanket ‘no’ decision with regard to recreational and hobbyist activities cannot be fair or right. For them to give a negative answer such as that which they gave to the BMFA was just the easy option.

Perhaps all of those affected in the West Midlands should contact their Police and Crime Commissioner.

I wonder what the BMFA’s thoughts would have been if the NOTAM had extended to cover Buckminster… a National Flying Centre where flying is banned! Not yet perhaps but…

Brian.

The various events in different locations are phased. For example the Ricoh in coventry is from 29th-6th. So a rolling NOTAM would have been better than a blanket for 3 weeks.

Presumably too much like hard work for the Police.

Let’s imagine for a moment that drones had never been invented. The CAA and police would not have even thought about model aircraft flying being a security issue for the games, which it isn’t.

We have now been ‘lumped together’ with drone fliers (many of whom I am sure also fly within all of the relevant guidelines) and now we are regarded as a possible security issue in the same vein as a minority of drone fliers might me.

With regard to the jamming equipment that has apparently been installed in certain locations, as perfectly legitimate users of the 2.4GHz band, should we not, via the BMFA, be informed of the locations and effective range of these? Wouldn’t a model aircraft, or drone, being flown safely, possibly fall uncontrolled from the sky if a signal from one of these jammers was received, quite possibly causing more of a hazard than the perceived problem in the first place?

The control line ban is madness, as pointed out by Marty. Perhaps the heat of this week has got to some people’s heads…

Brian. 

13 hours ago, Chris Berry said:

Ironic isn't it.

One sporting and hobby activity is stopped so that others can undertake theirs.

Sadly, we seem to be the poor relation be it planning permission, noise, cessation of activities for one reason or another. Yet the likes of football, cricket, cycling and athletics, even on an amateur basis, get vast sums of public money and acceptance from local authorities and the public at large.

If only we could change that.

It’s not just us. How many times have we seen TV news (particularly on the BBC) postponed because they’re covering a sporting event such as tennis or football. We’re not all sport mad, but it seems the rest of us have to make way for those who are.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RottenRow said:

Let’s imagine for a moment that drones had never been invented. The CAA and police would not have even thought about model aircraft flying being a security issue for the games, which it isn’t.

We have now been ‘lumped together’ with drone fliers (many of whom I am sure also fly within all of the relevant guidelines) and now we are regarded as a possible security issue in the same vein as a minority of drone fliers might me.

With regard to the jamming equipment that has apparently been installed in certain locations, as perfectly legitimate users of the 2.4GHz band, should we not, via the BMFA, be informed of the locations and effective range of these? Wouldn’t a model aircraft, or drone, being flown safely, possibly fall uncontrolled from the sky if a signal from one of these jammers was received, quite possibly causing more of a hazard than the perceived problem in the first place?

The control line ban is madness, as pointed out by Marty. Perhaps the heat of this week has got to some people’s heads…

Brian. 

The location of these devices will never be disclosed but safe to say they are directional and able to be rapidly deployed across the FRZ area.

They are not large structures like phone masts but much smaller devices indeed!