Epoxy resin needs cooling!

Having sometimes struggled to get a good cure when glassing a model with epoxy resin, today I had the opposite problem!  I was doing a small job to repair the front end of my Kyosho Learjet, and mixed 15ml of West Systems epoxy with 3ml of their 'slow' hardener.  I was stippling the resin on, and after about 20 minutes the job was practically finished, but when I dipped my brush into the pot for a last dab, the pot had gone completely hard, and was too hot to hold.  No warning.  The previous dip into the pot, probably 20 seconds earlier, had seemed normal, and spread easily.

I must remember to keep the pot of mixed resin in a bath of cold water in the future.

7 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

I have the same problem here how can you cool down 50 cubic metres of 33°c water in a swimming pool down to 28°c,,,,

Ok just being silly ' again'  ( it's the heat ).

What you need is a long shallow pool, more evaporation area. I use the River Charente.

9 minutes ago, Don Fry said:

What you need is a long shallow pool, more evaporation area. I use the River Charente.

I do have the bay in the Mediterranean not far away,,, nanananana.

Going back to resin, I still remember my first polyester 'hot mix', just throw in some Mekp my son and stir, within 10 minutes it was orange, crackling with a bit of smoke and I had made the plastic bucked bottom less,,,😆

well this is to be expected, pot life of west 206 slow hardener is 15 min at 25 c so not surprised that it went off in that time. It is actually hotter the ambient at the moment! We are so used to working at lower that optimal temperatures we do not realise the short time it can take, so get court out . and as said before spred it out thin on job to get extra work time

Edited by flight1