RCM&E

Erfolg

along with others I am shocked and saddened by Alex Whittaker.

Alex has recently been a massive contributor to the magazine, under various headings. There will now be a hole.

I also cannot but reflect on the passing of the Wizard of Oz (engines), Dave Burton (technical issues) and Peter Lowe. As far as I am aware there has never been ny comprehensive replacements. Times do move on, I appreciate this.

I know very little about 3d printing, and I am aware when ever a article is presented in the magazine. I am also aware that many people are producing pilots, bits and peices for models (which is something I do), in addition to parts and whole models. It could be an area where the mag could do a lot, from files, how to, rather than just generalisations.

A very large number of models are now electric, yet very little is apparently written on specific and general motor issues, in addition to the bits like ESCs . Perhaps another area?

With the at present high cost of Balsa, perhaps somethings on alternative materials, that are currently available. Even if it is 3d printing and the tech stuff on wall thickness, complementing the structure with wood, CF.

We all know that ther are dinosaurs wedded to IC, to date they are not extinct. There appears to be another hole that could be filled.

We have entered a period of economic challenges, that does not appear to be going away any time soon,. Perhaps less emphasis on the top end aspirational stuff, although we all like some stuff about it. Perhaps more focus on the bottom and particularly mid range stuff.

I have now fallen of my soap box, what do others think?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Erfolg said:

....I know very little about 3d printing, and I am aware when ever a article is presented in the magazine. I am also aware that many people are producing pilots, bits and pieces for models (which is something I do), in addition to parts and whole models. It could be an area where the mag could do a lot, from files, how to, rather than just generalisations.

I think the problem there is that the demographic that buy RCM&E and are interested in 3D printing are pretty net savvy and already able to get huge amounts of information online already from free or ow cost resources. The chances of RCM&E being able to teach them much is not huge, but . 

...A very large number of models are now electric, yet very little is apparently written on specific and general motor issues, in addition to the bits like ESCs . Perhaps another area?

That is probably because of the very high levels of reliability you get with a modern brushless setup, even the cheap ones! Other than one magent coming loose I've never had a motor issue in >10 years of electric flight; the modern kit is essentially fit and forget, as long as you do your powertrain maths right at the start or stick to a known good setup.

With the at present high cost of Balsa, perhaps somethings on alternative materials, that are currently available. Even if it is 3d printing and the tech stuff on wall thickness, complementing the structure with wood, CF.

Maybe, but I still suspect it wouldn't seel the mag to those not already into 3D printing, and those who alraeady are are unlikely to learn much froim a beginner article when the subject is so technical in nature. Using materials like foamboard are also exdtremely well covered online. 

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a grump but I have always thought the long term future of the print mags looks precarious; this steady but unavoidable loss of contributors over time is a factor that will be difficult to counter.

Edited by MattyB

MattyB, i hold similar views to yourself with respect to the last paragraph. On the other hand, I am totally amazed at some of the odd ball titles found in WH Smith, from Ancient Lawnmowers, Vintage Tractors, Land Rovers. There must be a place for RC Aeromodelling.

In the case of 3d printing, I do believe there is a place. There would be a challenge with respect to content, level and actually writing creatively.

The new owners certainly are facing a challenge, in finding writers, level of content, and variety that is attractive to the buying public.

I do not think that there is presently enough advertising and variety of product in the mag. I am assuming that is a reflection of the retail trade in the UK. 

I once was a USA Radio Modeller subscriber, this carried more advertisers than you could shake a stick at. Yet it folded, as far as I can tell no one filled the void left. MAN seems to be no longer a title. RCM&E hopefully rise to the challenge and exceed comfortably my hopes, rather than my fears

I think that the RCME may well go online only, the cost reduction cannot be overlooked. I would agree with the introduction of 3D printing articles and maybe some depron plans. Being an i.c. dinosaur I will carry on until the meteor strikes. It seems a strange thing to say but I think there will always be i.c. users and obviously electric fliers. I have muted before that there will be the odd one or two that enjoy the building and flying and this niche group will keep the embers burning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zflyer said:

I think that the RCME may well go online only, the cost reduction cannot be overlooked. I would agree with the introduction of 3D printing articles and maybe some depron plans. Being an i.c. dinosaur I will carry on until the meteor strikes. It seems a strange thing to say but I think there will always be i.c. users and obviously electric fliers. I have muted before that there will be the odd one or two that enjoy the building and flying and this niche group will keep the embers burning.

Totally agree. It may also result in articles being more 'timely'... Only issue would be the free plans... I know they could be downloaded but few people have the capability to print larger plans. Lots of possibilities....

Staggersaurus here (large glass of wine with my meal tonight.

Magazines (printed) are communication vehicles. Both for the producers and for the advertisers. Both ways it is an income stream. As much as all things digital are "it" these days, the printed word still has a lot to offer to both parties. Not least of which is longevity. This does not just apply to our hobby. Also don't forget, that although you might be getting tousles of jigglebytes of download a (very) large percentage of the world doesn't even have a telephone connection (and I don't mean mobile). For instance I live in the UK, less than 20 miles from 2 major cities and all I can be guaranteed is 3.5megs download and 750 kilobytes (that is correct) of upload. Streaming internet content is a definite no-chance.

Plus most people who buy a magazine look at practically every page. Who looks at adverts on the internet ? Certainly not me. There again I did have a comprehensive / grammar school education, rather than a " turn up and hang around until you are old enough for us to get rid of you" one.

🙃

Edited by kevin b
  • Like 1

Kevin you make a valid point but advertising only works if you have a large market. A dwindling market gives rise to the " cost to benefit " query being frequently applied. In fact I venture that there is already a cut off point in place for most advertisers regardless of the media used. I have no desire to no longer be able to flick through a magazine, in the garden, on the beach or wherever, beside which magazine's do not have batteries to go flat and are not as bulky to carry.

Long live the printed word.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Brian Cooper said:

Woo-hoo,  I am a dinosaur. 😍 😇 

I wonder if there is a badge or a T-shirt available for other dinosaurs to wear to show our pride.  🤣 

I am proud to be amongst these dinosaurs. Just remember: birds are reptiles too and are unsurpassed at flight.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

If you have bought the content, you should be allowed to download it as well as stream it. In effect, building your personal digital archive to view at your leisure, with no additional data usage after the download.

Yes, you can do that.

image.png.410575ea5675327eea6547dbb744a22c.png

The whole mag or selected pages, not sure about streaming though.

Steve

Lol.

Streaming is sort of downloading and using at the same time, without permanently storing it.

So, you can stream, for example, iPlayer content, and need to be on-line for the duration, and have good download speed.  Or, you can download at your leisure, save it and watch later, without an internet connection.

An online only version of the magazine would not need a fast internet connection as you'd download it (possibly whilst eating breakfast, or sleeping) then read it later, off line.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, kevin b said:

Staggersaurus here (large glass of wine with my meal tonight.

Magazines (printed) are communication vehicles. Both for the producers and for the advertisers. Both ways it is an income stream. As much as all things digital are "it" these days, the printed word still has a lot to offer to both parties. Not least of which is longevity. This does not just apply to our hobby. Also don't forget, that although you might be getting tousles of jigglebytes of download a (very) large percentage of the world doesn't even have a telephone connection (and I don't mean mobile). For instance I live in the UK, less than 20 miles from 2 major cities and all I can be guaranteed is 3.5megs download and 750 kilobytes (that is correct) of upload. Streaming internet content is a definite no-chance.

Sorry, but your personal view of why print magazines are superior is ultimately irrelevant to publishers and advertisers - they are looking at the costs and circulation figures, and if the economics doesn't stack up the print version will go, particularly if digital sales are buoyant

The data (in this case for 2021) is pretty irrefutable - overall print media (particularly news) is diminishing, but with the odd niche spot in print magazines holding its own. I wasn't able to find any circulation figures for RCM&E, but that page indicates that (assuming RCM&E would be classified under Leisure with railway magazines etc) it can't have either a digital or print media circulation of greater than ~5.8k/edition. Make of that what you will, but it doesn't sound great to me. In contrast Airfix Model World averaged >16k/edition, and was up 7% on the year.

image.png.137c0bbd557558f8c95a801b49b348ce.png

image.png.44bf2d94ff7054af6fad08de468f29fc.png

image.png.5ed06cf86624b02238a28df31d590c72.png

image.png.addccf1f47c736f4a74d60fcdbecca4c.png

PS - A 3.5MB/s broadband connection is more than enough to download a digital magazine like RCM&E, it would probably come down in 10-30s max. Regarding your point about large amount of the world not have wired connectivity, that is becoming far less of an issue; many developing contries are essentially bypassing copper with people going straight to 3G and 4G smartphone connectivity which solid connectivity at lower cost.

Edited by MattyB

1 hour ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Lol.

Streaming is sort of downloading and using at the same time, without permanently storing it.

So, you can stream, for example, iPlayer content, and need to be on-line for the duration, and have good download speed.  Or, you can download at your leisure, save it and watch later, without an internet connection.

Indeed. The key differentiatior of streaming is it only applies to rich media content (i.e. audio and/or video) - text and still images (including this website) are always a point in time download, there is no steady stream of information between the source and consumer.

PS - I did try to explain this to an elderly (now sadly departed) relative who watched a lot of TV a few years ago. He asked what streaming was, I told him it was like the BBC iPlayer where you could start and pause shows of your choice any time you like. His response - "The iPlayer, what's that then?"!

It will be interesting to know how the percentage streaming changes year on year. Also the percentage of hard copies magazines compared to streamed.

From the data provided it is not clear to me how streaming is received, as there are some decreases in addition to increases. I guess the condition of sales and access needs to be known, to understand as to what are the trends and also matters.

The recent survey may also indicate the issue of the free plan relative to streaming, is it viable as print out (tiled ?).

I image that the issue of contributors and topic areas, is an immediate issue. Then revenues from not only mag sales, but advertising. I do accept the argument as to why advertise, and the issue of the size of the markets.

It's straight forward for me. I subscribe for the printed magazine, it suits how I prefer to use/ read it. The free plan is important to me, even if I only build a few of them, they give me inspiration. If the plan is dropped or it goes digital only I will not bother subscribing. I hope that Kevin can find the required contributors, but not more glider stuff please....

Alex's huge contribution will be a hard act to follow. One thing I appreciated was that on scale subjects he always managed to dig out some little known facts about the full size aircraft that I'd not heard of before.

• Like 2

Thanks for the facts and figures Matty, But as a correction, I don't recollect stating that print was superior.

It was a personal view of how I currently see the situation. I find the digital world just as interesting (I also fly electric and ic).

The fact is that it is nothing to do with the content of any minority magazine. It is all about one thing. Money.

The only thing that interests business is how to extract the greatest revenue for the least expenditure (It's called capitalism).

Our hobby (and many others) rely on what we call "cottage industries", where the owners interest is split between the enjoyment of the hobby and the remuneration they can get from dealing within it. They are not (generally) long term businesses. Take for example the closure of several product manufacturers over the last couple of years. The founders of which have reached retirement age and nobody wants their companies because the profit margins are too small to justify the additional investment now required.

Unfortunately we are now in a period where a lot of people, who's hearts have been in the hobby, are in the latter stages of life and as with many other things life the next generation either are not interested, or have not been educated in the skills required to prolong the interest.

With regards to model making and the magazines, I still am of the opinion that there will be a merger of the boating and aeromodelling periodicals, as this would seem to be the best option (read profitable) for the publishers and advertisers. The readers opinions won't matter.

Over to you.  :classic_smile:

Looking through an RCME from 1977 it had articles on R/C cars and boats so a merger would be a step back as most modellers prefer their own subject and only have a passing interest in other modelling. 

I would not be happy paying for a magazine which covered subjects which I had very little interest in.

Another sign of the times is the current RCME has 5 model shops in the shop guide whereas the 1977 has 4 1/2 full pages.

Kevin B, I strongly agree with all the points you have highlighted.

At the same time, much is not the ideal. Under the present circumstances, things are what they are, the room for alternatives, that I would like are unfavorable.

I am less than sold on the idea that some have suggested as IT based mag, as having a long term solution. The first is the club mag is file, coming pretty much monthly, which I more skim through, than read as a paper mag. The cycle club mag was paper (still could be), many cherished the copies that members frequently saved (at least a few copies. The second is that many of us oldens, use technology, but as a tool, not with the enthusiasm of the young early adopters, it is great because it is new, it reflects the brilliance of this generation, not the staid, dull, lacking intelligence of us young uns.

Not knowing any answers, I do recognise the challenges of the new owners. OMG how the Ashbies really tried to keep the mag fresh. By and large they did really well, I do applauded their efforts and their achievements. 

• Like 1

Despite having been involved on and off with computers since 1961 and with electronics in general even longer (since birth as we lived at the family radio/electrical/jewellers/clock repair/ photographic shop  - my dad and grandfather had lots of interests 🙂 ) I still like paper publications.  We still have a daily newspaper (though I do read a lot on-line, too) and I subscribe to the paper RCME and I'd miss them both.  I'm also a great fan of paper maps.  Even when we use a GPS Satnav in the car, my wife always has the map book open and I'm a huge fan of OS maps because they tell you so much more than a tiny screen ever can.  I think it would diminish life if they ever disappeared and those who've never used them would really miss out without realising it.  A well-balanced combination of both digital and paper media is the key.

I used to write a fair bit of software when I worked and I always did a print out of the code for debugging because it was so much easier to scribble corrections in pencil whilst flicking from page to page.  In fact I think I have the listing for a floating point maths routine I wrote in assembler somewhere - sad isn't it?

As my interests have changed over my relatively long life so have the magazines I've bought.  At one time I've subscribed to Motor Cycling and Motor Cycle Sport (I have over 3 decades worth stashed in the loft), Wireless World, Yachts and Yachting, various cycling magazines and now RCME amongst others.  I've enjoyed them all.  I even edited a 2000 issue bi-monthly national cycle club magazine for a few years.   Does anyone remember all the Practical XXXX magazines mostly edited by FJ Camm  - I noticed one title in Morrisons yesterday with a Practical XXX heading and I don't think it was from the same stable.

• Like 1

I still subscribe to Practical Wireless Geoff, having had access to it every month since I was a boy, when my elder brother used to buy it.  To me, its not the magazine it was and amateur "radio" seems to include using an app on a mobile phone to talk to others via the Internet - not my idea of radio I'm afraid!  I suppose we all have time off our lives which we look back on fondly and to me the 1970s were the "golden age" of amateur radio.  Now, it seems a novelty for one human being to talk to another,  most communications apparently being one computer talking to another, all automatic, no human intervention needed.  Again, not my cup of tea!  All signs that I'm now officially an "old git"!

• Like 1

I like the paper copy, but regularly 'cull' my collections as it's heavy, and takes up precious space.  I save any plans and associated articles, plus anything of particular interest.

If the choice was an electronic copy, or nothing at all, I'd take the electronic mag........