Glow Plug Washers

Andy J

Acquired a selection of glow plugs in an old flight box some months ago but none have any washers.  Having just purchased a couple of engines which came without plugs fitted I could now do with finding appropriate washers to allow use of the plugs.

Did a quick search on eBay for small copper washers but to no avail, so can anyone recommend a suitable supply source of glow plug washers.

Just put a micrometre on one of my washers and it measures 9mm OD, 6mm ID and 0.6mm thick so working in imperial the ID was measured as 31/128" so rounding that up by 1/128th puts it at a 1/4 inch which confirms your measurement Ace.

17 minutes ago, Nick Cripps said:

Standard glow plugs have a 1/4-32 thread, ie, 1/4" outside diameter, 32 threads per inch.

So assume a 1/4 inch washer will work although the ones I found on ebay are 20gauge which is twice as thick as the sample I have.

Well after several searches closest I can get is an M6x10x1mm unless anyone can find a better match to 6x9x0.6.

Did wonder if I could cut some washers on my lathe as machining copper should be very easy but my metal turning skills are very limited.

54 minutes ago, Andy Joyce said:

Well after several searches closest I can get is an M6x10x1mm unless anyone can find a better match to 6x9x0.6.

Did wonder if I could cut some washers on my lathe as machining copper should be very easy but my metal turning skills are very limited.

The 6 should fit. The 0.6 will increase the compression of the engine, but very marginally, but make sure the plug does not foul the piston at TDC. If it does, use two washers.

But JohnatanW’s suggestion gets a 1/4 inch washer.