Unsettled newbie

Majikthyse

Having been retired for several years, last year I decided to resurrect my misspent youth. In those days I could not afford RC, but it is now very much cheaper and I have a little more money. So I have started converting some old free flight models to RC. OK, I am on a steep learning curve, but I didn't expect it to be so steep. Various things don't help.

I prefer park flyers, mainly because that's the type of model I have in stock. It seems impossible to buy all the parts for one aircraft from one supplier. I ask them what they would recommend, and they come back with a list of Rx, servos, ESC, motor, lipo, prop, but no they don't have them all and I have to search around. For my first effort, once I had all the parts they suggested installed, the thing was far too heavy and glided like a brick. So I am looking for lighter components.

Then I find that things fail very easily. Wires fall off motors (they are usually very thin), batteries won't charge etc. OK these things are cheap, but then they go out of stock and can't be bought from anywhere in the world. So I have a set of components carefully selected as compatible and then the whole lot is disabled because something fails and I can't buy a replacement.

The search facilities on most suppliers' websites are awful. Say I want a 2s 5A brushed ESC. I can't search for those specific parameters, I'm presented with 100s of items that I have to go through manually. When searching on Google I usually get ads from AliExpress or Banggood, which are useless as they usually don't deliver to the UK, or take months to arrive.

I rejoined the BMFA last year (I was a member in my teens), and last week decided that enough was enough, I needed peer support. So I applied to join the local BMFA-affiliated club. Their reply was "Unfortunately, we have no available instructors at this time to assist you". I was expecting something a bit more welcoming. One of my other interests is singing. When someone applies to join our choir, we don't say "Sorry you can't join until you have passed an audition", we let them in pending successful audition later. I am all for good standards but being told "It is not possible to join and fly without experience and/or an A certificate" comes across as rather condescending.

All this is supposed to be fun, but so far it has been slightly stressful. End of rant.

Firstly why not post on here what you are trying to do with your model conversions, there are lots of guys on here who can offer suggestions for components and where to get them from, George at 4-Max is a good place to discuss your requirements and can be a ‘one stop shop’.

Regarding your local club, it would be well worthwhile going to the club site and having a chat with the members as I’m sure there will be quite a few willing to help you. If not then go to another club!

For conversion of smaller models, have a look at those which cater for indoor models such as micronrc or Robotbirds.

I've had good service from both of these suppliers but I'm sure there are others who could provide suitable components. All subject to stock availability of course!

PS -welcome to the forum, you'll find it a great place to find information.

Edited by Nick Cripps

@Majikthyseis there another club in the near vicinity? It's a sad fact that some are more welcoming than others.............

Until you get used to the 'leccy lingo' you're best off using Robotbirds, Micron RC, Electric Wingman or 4Max - they are all very helpful.  Once you have the knowledge, Banggood and AliExpress can be useful if you're not in a huge hurry - but I've never had an item undelivered, and generally stuff arrives in a week or 2.

Re website searches, you can probably put in whatever parameters you want but not all the info people want is likely to be held in the database as a searchable field - e.g. for an indoor plane, weight is of prime importance, but less so on larger outdoor planes (not completely unimportant ...).  Going to the suppliers above lets you have free access to the best search engine and database available to man - experience!

Stick at it, the rewards are worth it.  And feel free to ask any or all questions on here - you'll get the experience of many many centuries in the sport. 

When you do find a club with instructors you may well find they recommend a model with larger wingspan for learning to fly RC - 52 to 60 inch span or more  is much easier to see especially as one gets older.  Park flyers are too small and too fast for most beginners.  Big slow flying models will be better.   Perhaps build a Super 60 or some vintage model of 55 to 65 inch span.  

Edited by kc

Majikthyse

It certainly would be helpful if you could post some pictures of one or more of your models you intend to convert and the details of the RC equipment you have.

When you say 'convert' is it to provide RC control to what was an IC powered free flight or is the conversion including electric power?

The size and weight of the plane you are starting with makes a huge difference to the type & weight of the RC equipment you use.

Be aware that you do have to register and pass a simple air rules knowledge test with the CAA to fly any plane weighing over 250g. If you join a club they will advise on the process and the club joining fee is likely to include appropriate model plane third party insurance. 

If you are having trouble finding a club one alternative is to buy a simple ready to fly (RTF) electric RC plane. It likely it will be made of foam. Tough and light It will fly so you can concentrate of learning how to control it and get to see what a current RC installation actually consists of.

Although an avid model builder all my life (planes, trains, boats and cars) this is exactly what I did when I took up RC flying 19 years ago when I was close to retirement.    

Furthermore after you have crashed the "foamie" a few times it may even be possible to utilise its RC gear in one of your free flight conversions.

All just an opinion.     

Thanks folks for your welcoming comments. I have indeed dealt with Robotbirds and Micron RC, but the other recommendations are helpful. I agree that a park flyer is not the best for training, but it's what I have that's ready built. I am trying to use my existing fleet rather than build anew. Maybe I should look for a second hand trainer model?

Here is one of my park flyers. I am rather proud of the ailerons, operated with a single servo without external linkages. 20" span, originally CO2 powered but now with Microaces brushed motor. The ESC has packed up and I forgot to keep the lipo charged so it has dropped below the minimum. We live and learn! But both are out of stock everywhere. The ESC is GWS ICS100 and the lipo is Overlander 280mAh 2s 25C.

IMG_20220726_175104201.jpg

Simon, I have probably answered your question by posting the picture. Your idea of the foamie is a good one. My Tx is a Turnigy i4X, which is AFHDS 2A FlySky compatible. Very basic but upgradeable. I'm not totally new to RC, I raced 8th scale cars 40 years ago, back in the 27mHz days, but it has all become vastly more complex now.

I have seen a few threads similar, - people looking for help etc, also many posts of people offering equipment free.

The major problem seems to be, no one seems to know where they are relative to each other.

Why isn't there an easy way, (or is there one already ?), a way of putting a location with a post or , a simple area location, city/county etc. not a full address, we all like our  privacy), so that people can get in contact offering help.

I would thing there are many modelers with redundant radio gear, models, etc, that they don't want to post, but would give away if it was collected.

I'm giving up soon, probably this year, everything is to go, (I like the idea of a clean break). There are 20+ models all in basically flyable condition, plus all the bits-and -bobs, spares etc. accumulated over many many years. it would be nice to know they went to help others.

BUT, I don't want to go to the trouble of listing/advertising everything etc. If someone want them, they have to go to the trouble of collecting them.

I'm in South Wales not far from Swansea.

Why can't posters, or the the forum software add some simple location for the uses profile.

Ray

• Like 1

14 hours ago, eflightray said:

I have seen a few threads similar, - people looking for help etc, also many posts of people offering equipment free.

The major problem seems to be, no one seems to know where they are relative to each other.

Why isn't there an easy way, (or is there one already ?), a way of putting a location with a post or , a simple area location, city/county etc. not a full address, we all like our  privacy), so that people can get in contact offering help.

I would thing there are many modelers with redundant radio gear, models, etc, that they don't want to post, but would give away if it was collected.

I'm giving up soon, probably this year, everything is to go, (I like the idea of a clean break). There are 20+ models all in basically flyable condition, plus all the bits-and -bobs, spares etc. accumulated over many many years. it would be nice to know they went to help others.

BUT, I don't want to go to the trouble of listing/advertising everything etc. If someone want them, they have to go to the trouble of collecting them.

I'm in South Wales not far from Swansea.

Why can't posters, or the the forum software add some simple location for the uses profile.

Ray

I have often thought the same Ray.

People looking for help, or disposing / wanting things, but not putting their approximate location in the post.

Maybe they are embarrassed because they don't live in Yorkshire.   😁

Brian, that's what I was expecting from the local club (Salisbury). There was a piece in the BMFA magazine a while ago about local clubs offering trial lessons, but I have not found one that does so. I just got a rather snooty brush-off. How hard is it for an experienced member to say "Welcome, come along sometime and see if you like it"?

I am looking for a cheap second hand foamie. There must be loads of them around, but nothing leaps out of eBay. I see magazine ads from people wanting to buy kit, but not to sell.

Ray - how annoying, I passed Swansea on the way to St David's last month. I will have to engineer another reason for a trip that way.

18 hours ago, Majikthyse said:

Brian, that's what I was expecting from the local club (Salisbury). There was a piece in the BMFA magazine a while ago about local clubs offering trial lessons, but I have not found one that does so. I just got a rather snooty brush-off. How hard is it for an experienced member to say "Welcome, come along sometime and see if you like it"?...

Some clubs have a limit to the number of members they can accept and once the limit has been reached, they cannot accept any more applications. Maybe that was the reason for the brush-off.

Almost all club years start 1st Jan,  so it's usually possible to accept a few new members in Jan or February at most clubs.   Obviously try early January and keep trying.   Not much help this time of year but bear it in mind.

1 hour ago, Brian Cooper said:

Yes indeed, some clubs have a limit on membership numbers, but the Club should at least have the good manners to impart this piece of information. 

I wonder how many other Clubs have a disgraceful, "snotty" attitude towards new people enquiring about joining. . . ?

This happened to me. I was walking past a club and noticed people setting up, so I asked who I needed to talk to about joining. I was directed to a committee member whose response was that 'it's a member only meeting, and I could not fly' at which he turned away and started talking to someone else. Not a very good start and not very welcoming. I went back to the first person who seemed very proud of the fact the club had a four-year waiting list. 

And they wonder why people walk away and take up fishing, golf, sailing,,,,,

Steve

• Sad 1

In defence of clubs that have been labelled as 'unwelcoming'...........as members get older and finding flyers of the right caliber to provide a proper level of regular instruction within a club environment gets harder, what you don't want is to pay your subs and then find that training is not what one might expect. Better for a club to be honest and not just grab your money and let you get on with it IMHO.

On the other hand I do agree that some clubs are just plain miserable and bask in being so.

• Like 1

I went flying yesterday and asked about waiting lists. 

On 28/07/2022 at 09:48, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Some clubs say that because they don't want a certain type of member,,,

This is not the case at my club they do have a very long wait list which could be years. The normal process is to send out application forms and club rules but now the list is so long this is not being done. Just to give you some idea, the Secretary gets two or three enquiries a week.

I do consider myself lucky in that I live within three miles of the field and there was no waiting list four years ago.

Steve

A 'local' club withered it's list to a so called 25 members one was refused and came to us while a couple more ( no names ) of good

pilots were admitted, limited numbers does exist  in 'jet' clubs as a lot of clubs refuse jets because of the noise  and so many jets

and fewer clubs so if you live in France contact your  local club before you buy a jet,,,

But you can always only fly eleccy Barons,,,🥳(say no more ) No members of the forum are aimed at 🤣

In the UK some clubs are restricted to electric because of noise. With turbines as the models get larger the noise increases and the distance they travel from the field also increases put together there is more potential to annoy the neighbours which has resulted in clubs banning turbines. Therefore, in the UK it's also a good idea to find a club where turbines are accepted before purchase and hope the club does not follow the trend of going all electric just to keep the field. I would think any committee faced with noise complaints would most likely ban turbines as a first step to try to placate the neighbours. Unfortunate for the jet set but understandable when the field is at risk of being lost.

Steve