RCME forum - The shape of things to come ?

kevin b

2 hours ago, RottenRow said:

Indeed.

Ultimately, as the users of the forum, anyone who doesn't like the advertising between posts has three options open to them:

1. Ignore the adverts.

2. Use an adblocker that basically lets our computers ignore the adverts on our behalves.

3. If it is sufficiently onerous, stop using the forum.

If taking route 3, we would have to be prepared for the possible consequence that the forum membership reduces to below the level that makes it worthwhile. That would have to be a risk that should be considered. Of course there is no guarantee of its longevity anyway.

My PC has had an adblocker installed for a couple of years now, certainly not something I have regretted doing.

Brian.

You missed option 4.

4. Let the site owners know that we don't like them within the actual threads as it interferes with the flow of the thread.

@Steveio1875i don’t think any of us have problems with advertising on this forum it’s the way in which the latest one has been done. By all means place it in the header or footers but not mid thread which is, to blunt, too much in our faces. I’m an existing subscriber but the way this is being done (the thin end of the wedge) may well give you a result you didn’t want!

• Like 1

As a moderator, I've refrained from commenting so far an case anyone thought I had some bias [I'm unpaid and have no connection with the publishers or editorial staff] but my personal opinion for what it's worth is that these ads don't detract from the flow of threads and take virtually no effort to flick past.  Yes, there may be some subliminal input but no more so than from any other exposure to advertising.

It seems a minor thing to get upset about to me but I appreciate that others may have different perceptions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Stevio.

I assume you were "testing the waters", so to speak.

Could you not use the sides of the posts for advertising content ?

A forum thread is more like a conversation than editorial content.

Ever been in a conversation when a small child buts in and its parent chastises it for being rude ?

I appreciate that you need the advertisers, but don't forget that the advertisers also need you.

There doesn't seem to be as many print outlets for them these days and they like print advertising as it lasts a lot longer than on the internet / TV.

As the new publisher I welcome you to the forum and look forward to hopefully more input from yourself.

Maybe we can get you involved in our wonderful hobby ? 

You're never too old to learn.     :classic_smile:

Personally I'd rather have an ad in between the posts that I can easily scroll past, versus a pair of sidebars that massively narrow the area reading the posts and pictures that I enjoy. That was one of the things which detracted from the old forum, the real estate occupied by ads in sidebars. I don't use Adblockers as I fully recognise that a free to use forum needs to generate revenue to support it and I have no issue with that.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Erfolg said:

Another vote for adverts as now being displayed. I like adverts as some others, I get an idea of what is available.

So what about a different ad in between each post, not just one after the first post in a thread, a bit like this?

image.thumb.png.362797ae900695edfe7c6d7808175941.png

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 1

Personally I don't like mid averts, I accept top and bottom as a necessity as revenue is required - however those who have a print or digital subscription are subjected to the intrusion/irritation with no possible gain for Morton. I believe someone earlier mentioned that as a subscriber has to enter there membership number on sign up, surly it can't be that difficult to filter out the mid membership ad?

Should the ad change to a commercial ad placement I can see the use of ad blockers becoming more widely used  which would then also filter out the top and bottom banners as well which just about all are happy to accept - own goal springs to mind.

• Like 1

The argument about it reducing costs doesn't work.

Many, if not most other forums that rely solely on advertising, as opposed to sponsorship (as in this case by the magazine) don't put adverts between posts.

The reason for placing them there is because of the "blipvert" effect and as has been said, ad blockers take out all the adverts including those that might attract our attention as we scroll through. I have no problems with the publishers promoting their products (within reason), but I am intelligent enough to see the commercial possibilities of such tactics.

Maybe I should just stick to RCGroups and RCScaleBuilder (both of which are free to join, though you can upgrade RCSB for a small fee).

• Like 1

Cambridge University Dictionary.

Forum - A situation or meeting in which people can talk about a problem or matter especially of public interest.

Doesn't say anything about selling anything.  🙃

I do appreciate one thing though.

For the foreseeable future most magazine publishers are going to face increasingly difficult times as we are all going to be cutting back on our leisure activity spending. 

I was admonished on RCGroups for mentioning adblockers, in fact I was threatened  with a permaban by the then owner Jim Bourke. I only use them on that site for two reasons, ads for USA only products or if they are animated/flashing and irritating. The current site where ads are down a sidebar on the main index page but not in the actual sub-forum or threads seems a good compromise. Adblockers are also useful for clearing out things that aren't ads like repeated title banners which just take up page space.

Very recently I took one of grand daughters to an interview with respect to taking a degree in "Philosophy". As a one time engineer, my view was  what a waste of time. Seeing the curriculum and speaking with a lecturer, I changed my mind. I thought if a little younger feels like interesting fun.

The discussion to date illustrates the range of opinion, from fundamentalists, believing in what they see as purity and those who believe in pragmatically. The spectrum is wide with complex views, which incorporate "not for profit", "amateur  type context", then there is the "costs have to be at least covered whilst contributing to a business", "competition is furthered by professionalism". The range of philosophical issues are massive.

I will be making my grand daughter aware of this discussion. It could have at some time provide a topic area for her immediate or longer term studies.

In the meantime those who find the blend of unpaid aspects of keeping the site operating, and the financial aspects of how the continued operation of the site, have decisions to make. Others will go with the flow, either whole heartedly or with reservations.

Keep at, it is very interesting, there also seems to be a political belief aspect

1 hour ago, dhendley said:

Hi everyone, heard and understood! The ad is gone now whilst we have some internal discussions on positioning.

Thank you for listening to our concerns.

May I provide a little feedback for your discussions?

I do have Adblock installed, mainly for the unfavourable gaming / torrent sites I occasionally use, which pop up all sorts of images I would rather not view before breakfast. I normally have it disabled for modelflying.co.uk because I find the ads of potential interest. When I saw the mid-thread ads appearing though, I immediately right clicked on one of the ads and disabled them all across the entire site. It was as easy as that. Obviously not the effect you were looking for by adding the Ads.

I have now restored the Ads across the site, but will disable them again if Ads start reappearing with the threads.

• Like 2

I regularly visit a car forum that recently change its ad format. They now appear between postings on threads and are not really a problem ; however it does make you realise how the cookies leave a trail to you browsing   !  I haven't noticed it nearly as bad on this forum  but look for a particular item and majority of adds will be for that or very similar items . Very clever but sometimes gets on your nerves . 

It's all money led so it's not going away anytime soon.