RCME forum - The shape of things to come ?

kevin b

3 hours ago, dhendley said:

It's proving to be a bit tricky!

It works on the main page where you are using CSS.

image.png.8d426da07e122ff8fdf5cfae198eed71.png

but on the forum a fixed style is used.

image.png.8bd289a24832e0533a703f4feebbb5eb.png

what I remember from many years ago is that CSS is used for different devices and their required image attributes.

Also, IIRC CSS overrides the page styles. Now I am going back ten years and I was using MSVS. Curious why one uses CSS and the other doesn't.

Just interested.

Steve

52 minutes ago, EarlyBird said:

It works on the main page where you are using CSS.

image.png.8d426da07e122ff8fdf5cfae198eed71.png

but on the forum a fixed style is used.

image.png.8bd289a24832e0533a703f4feebbb5eb.png

what I remember from many years ago is that CSS is used for different devices and their required image attributes.

Also, IIRC CSS overrides the page styles. Now I am going back ten years and I was using MSVS. Curious why one uses CSS and the other doesn't.

Just interested.

Steve

Thanks! @ahill does this help?

I would love to know the correlation between people moaning about how pages of adverts have disappeared from the magazine (y'know, like the mag was in the good old days of rose tinted remembrance when you could spend hours gazing at the goodies) and those same people moaning about adverts appearing on a free to use website that they can very quickly scroll past. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

I regularly visit a car forum that recently change its ad format. They now appear between postings on threads and are not really a problem ; however it does make you realise how the cookies leave a trail to you browsing   !  I haven't noticed it nearly as bad on this forum  but look for a particular item and majority of adds will be for that or very similar items .

You must be using a search engine that tracks you & stores your information (Google?). It's easily solved by switching to DuckDuckGo for your searches. https://duckduckgo.com

image.thumb.png.ef9cb7b9ee1bb4b23ca86d40b299f23d.png

• Thanks 1

I switched to DDG search engine after being nagged to either sign into Google or agree to their terms every time I went to use it. DDG finds things Google doesn't want to.

The Brave browser is good for youtube as it strips all those annoying ads from videos, especially the ones in the middle when you are trying to concentrate on something highly technical and you don't want your thought process interrupted. Brave also does something with cookies that stops them from being useful by the website serving them. Its not perfect and it has it's drawbacks so not useful as a general browser.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

I would love to know the correlation between people moaning about how pages of adverts have disappeared from the magazine (y'know, like the mag was in the good old days of rose tinted remembrance when you could spend hours gazing at the goodies) and those same people moaning about adverts appearing on a free to use website that they can very quickly scroll past. 

You’ve missed the point! I think that everyone accepts the need for advertising it’s just where those ads are placed, mid thread. If you look at the latest RCM&E mag not one article is ‘broken’ by an advert, they all appear at the front and back of the mag plus in between articles. If the same ads were placed mid article they would break the natural flow of reading, much the same as ads placed mid threads on this forum.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

Completely missed the point.

Something which the owners of the Forum have probably never contemplated is this: 🤔

Most people don't want to be tracked.  🤯

Also, if/when people become disenchanted and annoyed with an overflow of adverts interfering with the flow and enjoyment of the various threads, they can (and will) leave.  😲 

• Like 3

I am in a small minority, in that I appreciate adverts, without them I would never have heard of many of the brands of yesteryear, never mind what is currently available. I like adverts with prices quoted, P&P charges when mail order.

Society has pretty much had surveillance, from before the Tudors, MI 19 (where most were unaware of its existence), what are few cookies, or a mobile which always makes your location known to some. Because I am so incredibly boring (do not all agree so enthusiastically) I pity anyone monitoring me. Oh, perhaps not being a signed Woke leaves me in jeopardy.

Put the adverts where you want them, on this site, in the mag, if it helps keeps everything going.

• Like 4

Be careful what you wish for............My opinion of course but the way I see it is that the hard copy RCM&E either bought by subscription or from a shop etc is done for. Maybe not immediately, but given the ageing demographic and that younger people tend not to do physical magazines these days, it must be getting harder to make anything worthwhile out of some niche publications. Think of the titles that couldn't survive even when the hobby was thriving years ago.

We'll wind up with just the super, soaraway BMFA News (yawn!)  being forced upon us as a captive audience.

• Thanks 1

Now talk about "Soap Boxes", the BMFA News has one of the biggest. Not all is poor, though not a commercially viable format.

To keep the RCM&E going, for however long, and the Forum. They have become to a degree complimentary, almost symbiotic (what doe it mean?). Without the 3d thread, my printer could already be in the bin, I would not have known about Autosketch tutorial book, the videos and most importantly feed back from forum members.

The world keeps on turning, the mag and us really, really old uns, have to change and adapt to how "it is" and not what we think the environment should be that we live in.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

That might just be acceptable on a laptop but would be disastrous on a smartphone. 

I really struggle to see - other than as a matter of principle to some - how these occasional adverts, which can be skimmed past in an instant, are causing such angst. 

I struggle to see how anyone doesn't find adverts between forum posts rude, annoying and intrusive. Perhaps it is a matter of principle - nothing wrong with having principles in this money-driven, anything-goes society.

The concern was not about one advert between a couple of posts, but the possibility of (or more) adverts appearing between every post. Eventually people could get so fed up with them that they would leave the forum.

I have had an off forum conversation with Darren and can see where his concerns are.

The following is my considered opinion and not that of the publishers.

The RCME forum is provided (at no cost to us) as a place where like minded modellers can exchange views and information on a myriad of subjects.

This is good and I whole heartedly approve of it.

However, how many of us know that less than 5% of forum members are subscribers to the magazine ? I didn't.

That means that the rest of the members either buy the magazine regularly from their local supplier, buy the magazine when they see something that interests them in it, or don't purchase the magazine at all. I think I know where a large proportion of them come from.

If this was a completely free website / forum then I would have no complaints, but as a subscriber to the magazine part of my subscription is paying for the website / forum.

I get the impression that the main reason for these adverts was to try and persuade people to subscribe and that there was no intention to increase third party advertising within the forum.

Unless we, as hobbyists support the magazine by purchasing it then ultimately our hobby will suffer.

I buy the magazine by subscription, not just because it is cheaper that way, but as a way of letting the publishers know that I am willing to support our hobby long term.

I also let them know if I am not happy, or concerned with any aspect of the magazine. It is called "positive feedback". "Negative feedback" is something we seem to see a lot of on the forum and I now wonder how much of that is coming from outside of the subscribers.

We may not own the company, but at the end of the day it is our magazine and is just about the last one that caters for our interests in this country.

This was not a rant, but a carefully considered reply to my original posting and the response it produced.

:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ken anderson. said:

cant the layout of the forum pages change to put the threads at the left side and have the adverts on the right...in a smaller format than the thread column.....simliar as the old forum pages were like?

ken anderson...ne..1......adverts dept. 

Please no, that was an awful format IMO, with the space to present the actual forum content completely squeezed and restricted. Adverts at top and bottom, or even between posts can easily be scrolled past and the screen is maximised to be used for what people come here for.

• Like 2

Hmm I see that today we have an advert for Indian cancer medicines inserted as a topic, no doubt to avoid adblockers???

I really do object to this whole business of adverts - this is a model flying forum not a forum for adverts.

After years of generally a trouble free forum within weeks of a new owner we have all this stuff in the way.

I thought that there were moderators that were supposed to decide on the appropriateness of posts?

What can we expect next??? With the loss of so many writers for RCM&E and the Forum now invaded by uncontrolled advertisers I really begin to think about whether to renew my subscription for the magazine

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RedBaron said:

Hmm I see that today we have an advert for Indian cancer medicines inserted as a topic, no doubt to avoid adblockers???

I really do object to this whole business of adverts - this is a model flying forum not a forum for adverts.

After years of generally a trouble free forum within weeks of a new owner we have all this stuff in the way.

I thought that there were moderators that were supposed to decide on the appropriateness of posts?

What can we expect next??? With the loss of so many writers for RCM&E and the Forum now invaded by uncontrolled advertisers I really begin to think about whether to renew my subscription for the magazine

Don’t conflate two entirely different issues - the cancer meds ad is just a single spam post from a new user, it’s nothing to do with the new owners and their strategy for the forum. I’ve reported it to the Mods and I’m sure they will remove the thread and squish the account later today, but this sort of thing happens in most forums from time to time.

The mods cannot be expected to take action 24x7 within minutes every time - they are only volunteers after all. If you don’t think they are acting quickly enough I am sure you would be welcomed as a volunteer to improve turnaround times! 😉

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Don’t conflate two entirely different issues - the cancer meds ad is just a single spam post from a new user, it’s nothing to do with the new owners and their strategy for the forum. I’ve reported it to the Mods and I’m sure they will remove the thread and squish the account later today, but this sort of thing happens in most forums from time to time.

The mods cannot be expected to take action 24x7 within minutes every time - they are only volunteers after all. If you don’t think they are acting quickly enough I am sure you would be welcomed as a volunteer to improve turnaround times! 😉

It didn't last long but was quickly replaced by worktops add.

Steve