Foam board ME 109, first foam build, anyone else want to join in?

martin collins 1

Ok i admit it i love ME/BF 109`s, the simple lines and colouful schemes make it great to build and to paint, i have built a Cambrian Fun fighter and have both Royal 1/2A and Aerotech International kits in my to build stash. I am getting very interested in this latest wave of foam board models as it enables you to produce aircraft that aren`t available as kits or even plans, many just go with a 3 view as a starting point. I am partial to a number of the WW2 Japanese aircraft and would like to build a couple of their twins but don`t want to run before i walk so have chosen the 109 as a simple type scale shape to dip my toe in! Looking around at plans to use as a basis i came across Boddo`s old 109 plan on the Outerzone website and thought that would provide a good starting point, probably blown up half as big again. I am fishing around for basic advice on building with foam board as there are seemingly some great scale models being turned out by the forum members, what thickness board, Maker or Hobbycraft, hotmelt or POR? Richard Wills has done a couple of detail tutorials, anyone got anything like that they could share. Once the foam is ordered and cutting commences i will post the build up here, anyone else fancy using these plans to have a bash? Mine will be simple hand launch as per the plan to save weight and for ease of construction.

Ā  Ā  Ā Ā https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=11752

Messerschmitt_Me109E_Combat_oz11752 (1).pdf

Edited by martin collins 1
  • Like 3

About 45" span measuring the wings on the plan, the full size plansĀ can be downloaded on thisĀ page,Ā https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?members/whit-armstrong.49164/#resourcesĀ  Ā  ME 110 plans on there as well.

these ones give a smaller version on this post

109 plans.pdf

Edited by martin collins 1
  • Like 2

Hi Martin,

Ā 

Great you're having a go. There's a few of us on here enjoying some FB fun, so feel free to drop us a line. it would be great to share the love, so ask questions on here and we'll share what we've learned so far, what worked, what didn't, what we're planning and what we'd do differently next time.

Ā 

I share your love for jap twins; I went straight in and the Ki45 was my first foamboard model. It flies so well amd other club memebrs still can't believe how easy it is for me to solo hand launch a 60" twin!

Ā 

Graham597724792_Ki451804225.thumb.JPG.624778db6fa886d7c328b9d742c74cb4.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Exciting stuff Martin .Ā 

I use approx 5mm of both types . Once you remove both sides on either type the remaining foam is a bit over 3mm .

The Hobby craft stuff doesnt bend as easily but I prefer it , so use it where I can . Its more readily available too .

Like you , I am a big fan of 109s . They look so cool and always seem to fly nicely .Ā 

• Like 1

Gentle start on the 109 FoamFighter this evening one plan sheet of six has had all the shapes cut out and the first of those transferred onto the Hobbycraft 5mm foam board forĀ cutting out, some advice i received recommended Gorilla white expanding glue for these large parts that are doubled up, it is lighter than the hot glue. Not the most available of glues, most placesĀ in the UK only stock the similar brown stuff, got some white ordered and on it`s way though, plenty of drawing round shapes and cutting out to keep me busy till that arrives.Ā 

IMG_20220809_223732_resized_20220809_103754569.jpg

• Like 2

Martin , you can remove the card from the Hobby Craft foam board by ironing the back and peeling at the same time . Dont force it too much and it will come off clean . try it on a small piece first . The same foam board can be curved with a little patience . I dont think much of the 109 is sharply curved so you may get away with that board throughout .Ā 

A lot of this foam board modelling is about learning the techniques of what you can do with it . I've just brown papered the cigar shaped Mosquito fuselage and I have to say , I'm very impressed . It is lighter and still resilient and yet way less time than consuming thanĀ Ā the Heinkel which was wood skinned . The shape and finish is as easily as good.Ā 

• Like 2

Just had a wander round B&Q and came across this, at Ā£25 for 19 sheets i thought it was worth a try, may be a useful cheap material for forming the curved surfaces, at 5mm it is the same thickness as the Hobbycraft board and once covered with brown paper it should be quite strong. I will give it a go and see how it works out, anyone else using this in their planes?Ā 

IMG_20220810_144622_resized_20220810_024739040.jpg

Main fuselage frame is now made, quite strong but a bit heavier than i had imagined, i chose to leave the paper on the main foam structure to help with the strength of the spine but having removed it on some of the formers i now realise how much weight the paper adds, it is surprising! I am learning as i go on this build so although not as tidy as i would have liked i know how to improve the next model by using what i am learning on this one. I am using Clear expanding Gorilla glue which i was told is quite a bit lighter than hot glue but the spin off is it can be messy as it expands, don`t put too much on! I am only using this on the main structure, the main skins will go on with UHU POR. I will be trying the B&Q depron for the skins to keep the weight down, that will be the next step.

IMG_20220816_222336_resized_20220816_102416207.jpg

IMG_20220816_222346_resized_20220816_102416898.jpg

• Like 2