Foam board ME 109, first foam build, anyone else want to join in?

martin collins 1

First time I used emulsion to paint a wall I thought the splashes  would clean of easily with water, wrong once dry it is almost water proof. I built a Hawker Seafury from depron and painted it with emulsion, I  flew it when the grass was wet and on snow, no other protection on the model.itwas still good after 6 years till it was destroyed in a mid air.

9 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

This is the Seafury, part balsa frame sheeted with 3mm white depron  painted with white emulsion tinted with acrylic colours the invasion stripes were bare white depron and black acrylic, the roundels were felt tip Sharpies, they needed re doing  occasionally.

20150220_105650[917]MK 1 Seafury.jpg

A Sea Fury - fantastic. That looks superb!  Here’s one I did a couple of years ago - it was my first own design scratch build, and it’s had an active and occasionally incident prone flying career, but it’s still airworthy after lots of repairs (as I was learning to fly, self taught, and there were many crashes…). 

A05E46D5-1BD6-4773-8078-7F7964D22E34.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi LM, after the crash I decided to build another and scaled my original drawing up from 48" span to 57" using a balsa frame and foamboard for the formers and depron sheeting, the wings were made with ply ribs in the centre section as I fitted retracts. It is covered in brown paper and painted with acrylic paints, flies great on 4s. The canopy is a cut down Tempest one from Sarik.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Martin.

SEAFURY.jpg

Edited by Eric Robson
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I get foamboard from Hobbycraft but if there is not one nearby B and Q do a form of depron in 3 thicknesses.  What many are using now is foam underlay but I think it only is available in large packs. 

I have seen foamboard advertised in smaller sizes but it was relatively expensive compared to the Hobbycraft sheets which are about 30" square. Hobbycraft may deliver.

Good luck with the project. 

Edited by Eric Robson

On 12/04/2024 at 19:52, RICHARD WILLS said:

Thats a shame Graham. I love the way it looks , especially having seen the Planes films . 

It will be fixed! I've already doubled the chord of the ailerons and got some control back. I've increased the dihedral which has also helped a bit. I think it's CG sensitive and at the moment is at a 'safe' forward position. I think this is making the elevator insensitive so it's hard to fly 'bank and yank'. There may be some masking of the tail too due to the huge cockpit, so I may give him a scalping!

Graham