Swastika decals

Rocker

2 hours ago, David Davis said:

Quite so.

I once knew a man, the neighbour of my uncle, who was an aeromodeller and an ardent trade unionist. He bought a model of a Bf 109 from a clubmate but could not bring himself to fly it in the Nazi markings. So he stripped off all of the covering and re-covered it. The fuselage was finished in pale blue and wing and tailplane in yellow. It was very hard to recognise as a 109 in that colour scheme! 

If I ever build a WW2 German aircraft, and model FW190s are said to fly well, I will finish mine as a captured aircraft in British markings.

A bit silly, he could have done a Spanish decoration there are loads of them.

spanish.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Can't you leave politics out of it it's about a swastika, or haven't you ever bought something from chine ?.

I think that the point David was making was that if the uncle's neighbour objected to Nazi markings on the model he would also have objected to Spanish markings on the model as General Franco was a supporter of fascist Germany and Italy at the time.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Can't you leave politics out of it it's about a swastika, or haven't you ever bought something from chine ?.

My uncle's neighbour chose to change the appearence of a model aircraft. That was his choice. If I ever build a WW2 German aircraft I will finish it in British colours. That will be my choice.

Edited by David Davis

43 minutes ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

I also wonder about Finnish aircraft flying in scale ww2 markings being allowed to have a swastika. Are some swastikas more agreeable than others?

It would appear so.

I took the pictures below while on holiday in Tibet a few years ago, where it is a sacred symbol in the Bön religion (a minority branch of Tibetan Buddhism), and predates its use by Germany by hundreds of years.

DSC02486.thumb.JPG.ee7aae94692b080328e2d9aa1a98f4ad.JPG

DSC02487.thumb.JPG.d9d2d310340e1ff37da5fb49c5110a24.JPG

It's a discussion forum. Nobody is asking the OP to comment on, or take part in any discussion on the topic and the question which the OP asked has been answered.

This is a fundamental aspect of a discussion forum as that relates to thread ownership. IMO, the instant a second person replies to a thread then that becomes a community resource and the fact that an individual started the thread isn't all that relevant. It's a bit different if it's a build thread, but for a general, run-of-the-mill thread [ such as this one - then that should be a community-based discussion.

I am sorry if I have upset the apple cart, but I found it interesting just looking up the symbols and the historic's of the 109,

at least it got me away from the tv and the 10+ ( more like 20 ) year old sky repeats so my wife could actually adorn our lounge, it

is 36°+ over here and locked in at 10.30am with 30°+ outside the forum has given me a new lease of life.😍

• 1 month later...