Advice Wanted From Electrician

PatMc

I'm thinking of replacing a few fluorescent 120cm tubes with LED tubes but would prefer not to have to change the complete fittings.

The type of fittings I have all have the little round starters similar to this :

Starter.jpg.a5497018c33efb0491b7c0f138373e3c.jpg

Am I correct to assume that replacing each fluorescent tube & starter with one of these & the new type starter is all that's required ?

Thanks in anticipation.

I would agree with Brian and leccyflyer, LED tubes are superb. My first LED tube was a complete unit which replaced a failed flourescent tube and fitting. Immediately impressed  I bought two more tubes and simply replaced the flourescent tubes. The 'starter' unit is simply a wire link. One observation, I have two tubes which are 'warm' a slightly yellow old tungsten bulb type hue the other is a daylight type which is really bright. It is noticeably brighter than the other two I would go for those if I replaced the original ones.

22 hours ago, PatMc said:

Thanks all for the reassurances 👍 I should be receiving a pack of 5 LED tubes tomorrow.

Hi,

Keep us posted please, looking for 4 fittings worth of 58W tubes to be replaced with LED versions.

So are the daylight 6500K better or worse that the 4000K versions?

I like the daylight 4000°K jobbys. They are good if you are doing colour matching for stuff you will be using outside.

The 6500°K ones are perfect for a machine shop, drawing office, as they make everything seem just a bit brighter. But ladies will complain about making their beuty creases more visible.

Don't make my mistake, I installed 2* 6500 tubes in the bathroom mirror. After a tongue wagging, and the folded arms, and foot tapping, they were replaced.

• Like 1

On 05/08/2022 at 20:57, Chris Walby said:

Hi,

Keep us posted please, looking for 4 fittings worth of 58W tubes to be replaced with LED versions.

So are the daylight 6500K better or worse that the 4000K versions?

The LED tubes arrived Friday pm, I fitted 4 of them today without any problems. IMO they don't seem any brighter than the fluorescent tubes they replaced but they are instant "on" & there's no buzzing that was present with one of the old tubes.
I can't answer on the difference between the 6500K & 4000K versions.

I ordered them from "Budget Light", as per link in my opening post, they sent me tracking info which turned up an unexpected but interesting aspect - they passed through a customs check in the Netherlands. I had assumed BL was a UK based company.

The invoice shows 20% VAT, a small "disposal fee" £1.05 & shipping cost £5.79 plus cost of tubes. I placed the order around 11:00 Wednesday DPD delivered around 11:00 Friday.

Patmac, Wish I could say I have had a happy experience with the Budgetlight company.

Ordering easy, not fussed where they come from, but the numpties shipped them without the tube protective end caps + because they just wrapped them in bubble wrap but nothing in the end of the box 6 of the 8 tubes are severely damaged. The inside of the box has numerous punch holes as the pins have repeatedly hit the end and there are even pin holes on the outside of the box.

I have written to them and we will see what their response is, but its just wasted time and aggravation when things like this happen and could have been totally avoided.

image.png.219b834d48edcd3cb6fa861399ddfb6f.png

Lets just say they are off my Christmas list and any more aggravation I shall be escalating it to the credit card company.    

Edited by Chris Walby