Vintage 1:4.5 Scale Tiger Moth identification

gowen

I recently aquired a cheap 1:4.5 scale Tiger Moth on eBay as a project for a large sport flyer.  I'm calling it vintage as the wings and tail surfaces are silk covered.

What was not immediately obvious in the eBay photos was that it doesn't have any Ailerons, so I'm trying to identify it to see if it is designed as a big rudder elevator model. 

The lower wing is hinged in the middle and is held on with rubber bands. The dihedral with the wing bolted doesn't big enough for a RE model, but looks about scale.  The rudder is often stated as the primary roll control on a Tiger Moth, so could be ok.

There is also a weird mechanism on the lower cente section which runs from a servo to a pin.  I've traced the path of the mechanism in the photos with yellow arrows.  Any ideas what this is for?

IMG_20220804_175646.jpg

IMG_20220804_175647.jpg

IMG_20220804_175703.jpg

IMG_20220804_175724.jpg

IMG_20220804_175747.jpg

IMG_20220804_175805.jpg

IMG_20220804_180102.jpg

IMG_20220804_180111.jpg

I have never seen anything quite like that!    But my guess is it's to hold a load like a parachute or toffees or similar to the underside of the wing and then release the load.  Or even a towline for a glider.   Possibly rubber bands on the rod might have tensioned the 'string' before it was released.

Toffee bombers were once a popular event at RC shows and hordes of children chased after the dropped toffees.

Edited by kc

The top two pushrods, linked to the linear servo, connect to the rudder and tail wheel.  The bottom pushrod is the elevator.  I did wonder if the two floating pushrods at the back of the cockpit were used to animate a pilot figure.