Spektrum throttle cut via 3 position switch

Chris Walby

Hi, I can think of a number of ways of doing this, but am sure there will be a far more elegant options out there by grater minds than mine!

image.thumb.png.7b3ec5b45e634387ffdc1c78cf9a2ed4.png

Ok so what I have is my GTC (electric) with separate channels for each motor (THRO mixed to GEAR  channel) and ailerons on split channels, the rest is standard.

What I want to do is practice dead motor on either side via a 3 position switch. Mid switch position throttle stick to both motors and switch up/down cuts one or other motor so I can select in flight. In the unlikely event things get ugly I can flick the switch to the mid position and both are working ok.

The questions are, can I do it with the existing mix or do I need to do that another way and then what's the best approach? Easiest way of explaining what I need is a throttle cut on one or other motor via a 3 position switch. 

Thanks and lastly I have a DX8 gen 2 if that helps.

PS could we keep answers specific to questions, cheers

18 minutes ago, Chris Walby said:

Thanks guys and I like Nigel's suggestion, but will need to Y lead the ailerons (only did that as I thought I might play with drooping ailerons for landing). Once I sort it I'll report back.

Sorry, but I think you are a little confused on this one... If you want to configure flaperons, you must have both servos on separate channels and utilise mixes; you can't use a y-lead. This is universal truth, irrelevant of the radio brand used.

14 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Sorry, but I think you are a little confused on this one... If you want to configure flaperons, you must have both servos on separate channels and utilise mixes; you can't use a y-lead. This is universal truth, irrelevant of the radio brand used.

MattyB...What I meant to say is that the ailerons are currently on separate channels ready for that bit of playing, but because as Nigel suggests  for the independent throttle cuts to work on a 3 position switch I'll need to assign one throttle servo to the AUX channel (which is currently used for an aileron servo). and the other is already assigned to the gear channel.

I might be able to reassign the Throttle channel, gut come to that bridge if I need to.

Simples 😉, but I feel a sketch coming on...

Edited by Chris Walby
  • Like 1

Chris

I did use a switch 'throttle cut' on my Cessna Skymaster using a Spektrum DX6i. With its tandem inline motors I was happy to cut the power to one, actually the front, although if at full throttle the switching the power back on again was pretty violent on the motor mountings and the resulting instant amps was not that kind to its ESC. 😉   

I did something similar to this many years ago using a JR X347 when I wanted to have two separate pairs of engine throttles on a Chris Golds Lancaster I built.

I found the easiest way at the time with the X347 was to use a helicopter setup and have the inner pair of engines on the throttle function and the outer pair as the pitch function.  The standard heli set up then used two servos, one for pitch and one for throttle.

I then had available throttle and pitch hold switches and curves for everything.  It worked really well at the time and you could do the same here by using a left and right split.

6 hours ago, Chris Walby said:

MattyB...What I meant to say is that the ailerons are currently on separate channels ready for that bit of playing, but because as Nigel suggests  for the independent throttle cuts to work on a 3 position switch I'll need to assign one throttle servo to the AUX channel (which is currently used for an aileron servo). and the other is already assigned to the gear channel.

I might be able to reassign the Throttle channel, gut come to that bridge if I need to.

Simples 😉, but I feel a sketch coming on...

OK, gotcha. It is threads like these that make me glad I don't use one of the proprietary OS radios - doing what you want to do here would be so much easier on OpenTX, EdgeTX or erSkyTX (or the proprietary Jeti or ETHOS for that matter, but then they have both taken considerable inspiration from the Open source firmwares). 

• Like 1