Stocking balsa for newbies

Thought I would start a thread so that those more experienced (don't get out enough) builders can give advice to new builders on how and what to keep in stock for the "next build".

I suppose it doesn't just apply to balsa, but any other materials we use in our hobby.

I know I keep a lot in stock, but what about those limited by space (or cash).

For instance, postage is expensive, so if possible purchase more than you need if mail ordering.

I keep a fair bit of sheet wood in various thicknesses at 100mm wide. If you buy a decent wood stripper (or make one from a downloaded design), then you will quickly find that stripping wood to size works out a lot cheaper than buying it ready cut. Your wood stripper quickly pays for itself !

I also generally buy 120cm long sheets. Unless you are building mostly small models the off-cuts are a lot more useful, particularly if your models are over 91cm span.

So come on you "experts" and give a few tips to our new friends on how to buy, keep and use the materials needed to keep our hobby alive.

If any newbies have questions about materials please ask on here and we will try and help.

I keep my balsa, basswood and spruce in three old kit boxes.

A Baron kit box holds all of my strip wood of one metre or less, so the strip off-cuts go in there.

An old ARTF Citabria box holds all of the one metre sheet and any sheet off-cuts.

A WOT 4 Foam-E box holds all of the four foot lengths of sheet and strip.

I am currently building two models at the same time, (not recommended,) a DB Sport and Scale Skyrider and a vintage Guidato. Yesterday I found out that the off-cuts from the leading edge of the Skyrider's wing are the ideal size for the tail-plane tips of the Guidato! 

How's that for economising!