ED Bee

Richard Acland

I need a bit of help regarding my ED bee engine. Although I fly mainly RC scale models I still muck about with free flight models. I have a vic Smeed Mamselle with an ED bee. It hasn't been running that well so I decided to give it a strip and clean. My question is the positioning of the backplate which carries the  rotating inlet aperture. The positioning of the backplate when screwed in and tightened would appear to be critical and determined by the thickness of the backplate gasket. If it is not positioned correctly the  fuel inlet would be in the wrong place. I can't find any definitive info, hardly surprising as this is a 1950s engine. Any help appreciated

👍 plus 1 for top right looking from rear between 1 and 2 O'clock. Any deviation will affect the inlet timing and performance / srarting.

I thought the ED Bee was too heavy for the Mamselle but if it flys OK then fine. The last Mamselle I built was very lively on a Mills 75 flying on rudder elevator rc.

Great flying model.