Latest requirements for flying in France

Wookman

12 hours ago, Wookman said:

Thanks for the info MattyB. I now have a French flyers ID and several models registered. Just got to stick the ID numbers on the planes.

Remember you also need a remote ID module if you are flying outside of a recognised site with a model over 800g.

I think one will do and swap. But I’m mostly interested in a thermal soarer I want to fly on a 1000 acre field a couple of minutes from the house, and that will be pushing the hight limits.
The field has a forest perimeter.
I also fly a Tundra off a duck lake on this site, I’m less bothered about that, as any aircraft will have to skim the trees and descend, as I’m never above 20 meters.

I’m glad someone else is struggling. I suspect because no one is bothered. 
I was up the field one weekday, and some gardarme dog handlers were there. They expected an empty area, and a mutt did a beam attack on me. I’m at home with dogs, used to police dogs, and their funny ways,  and just allowed it to have a chew on an offered arm, and played dead. No harm done. 
Gardarmes first response was to question my right to be there. Useless coppers that they are. Club Membership card, and a membership card of my police pensioners booze up club were produced.

Got on better, did them a flight each on the buddy box.

End of devolved story, these senders (I think) transmit to a receiver commonly used by gardarmes. Blank faces. As any knowledge of registration et al.

No idea if aircraft of any type have this capability, or listen.
I am aware that we get a lot of activity by turbo prop military trainers, and they fly at 150 meters, in formation, and they are fast. 

Not just FFAM fields Paul.  Registered sites. We are registered. Not FFAM affiliated.

We would need insurance, BMFA would be fine, and a check flight. Otherwise help yourself for visitors.

For information of visitors,  Continental flying sites look the same, are laid out the same, and have the same flying rules as BFMA standard site layout.

Picture of ours, St John D’Angely, Charente Maritime, Western France. 
Another gastronome club. One members job is producing Foie Gras. Not for supermarkets, but high end restaurants. So we have to eat it, with brioche, onion confit,  and whiskey. Hard work, but if you have the mental stamina a keep doing this hobby, you will manage.

CF4B84C6-52C9-4CB6-8FE3-D4D647E4CB09.jpeg

Edited by Don Fry
Add picture
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

I have just dug around the FFAM, typically french I can't find the information, so go with a single one swapped from model to model.

I found this - 

How many electronic reporting beacons?

As we have said, it is possible to use a single electronic signaling beacon for several aircraft, here are the conditions:

The aircraft belong to the same owner

Only one of these aircraft in flight

Aircraft that share an electronic reporting device must be within the same weight range:

0.8 Kg < mass < 2 Kg 

2 Kg < mass < 4 Kg

4 Kg < mass < 25 Kg

25 Kg < mass < 150 Kg

150 Kg < mass

They must be part of the same electronic reporting group: –

Group 1: tethered aerostat / circular flight model aircraft / free flight model aircraft / hot-air balloon –

Group 2: glider, wing (non-motorized) / airship / parachute, paraglider / flapping wing aircraft –

Group 3: helicopter / multirotors / convertible / combined / paramotor / gyroplane –

Group 4: airplane, wing, glider (motorized)

- here -https://skyinnov.fr/2020/11/20/un-meme-dispositif-de-signalement-electronique-pour-plusieurs-aeronefs/

I also notice that the FFAM have decided to recommend the device made by NAVEOL so if you prefer to keep with the national body then they are available here

Edited by FlyinFlynn

6 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Yes you are right Registered fields like our hill soaring site which is registered but are there many in france outside the FFAM ?.

I did live 'around' you part of the world and loved Foie Gras till I worked on a farm repairing a tractor and saw them being forced fed,,😱

I would say the majority of clubs round here are non FFAM.

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

They all are affiliated here and worth it, with the money that they dish out to our clubs, they put 51% of the cash up to pay for our model field, money for the mower, runway, container for storage etc,,,,

How are they financed, apart from member subscriptions?  Do they apply for/get government grants?

My club, St John D’Angely, Charente Maritime, has a subscription of about €60. Non AFMA (BFMA equivalent), our insurance does not cover bigger aircraft. I don’t know what the upper power limit is, but all Lasers are covered. a group of clubs in the area sort it out. We are regarded as an organization providing a sport, technical training, with a coaching program. IE, a community resource. We are on a large site with the other noisy activities, the motocross and dog racing. The local council own it and maintain the grass to a rugby pitch standard. Rent is €0.

Our patch is 6 to 8 benches (ours), to a runway which is an 80 by 30 meter hard core surface, think boules court.  We maintain that, ie we bribe a vibrator roller man to bring the bosses machine home for the weekend, for a bottle. Here bottles can be expensive, unless you know the man making them or other bartering techniques.

We have have about 500 acres of dead ground in front of the flight line. 

Approaches from the right, we cut the tops off the trees so you get the turning point. The trees are 150 meters out, with smooth grass if you land short. Approaches to the left is a small hedge 70 meters out from the landing area. Again smooth grass if short. You learn cross wind landings, it’s easier.
We lose the odd weekend, big race meetings and we are the camping, car park. If we put on a meeting we could get even, but we don’t. I’ve done the odd day marshaling their meetings. You get a first class lunch, and booze. Again, the quality is the thing, we make the Cognac. It comes in a lemonade bottle. I couldn’t afford the contents, and I’m not poor. We make good wines, scrounge boxes with wonky labels. 
A Frenchman will say I work to live, not live to work. Now I realize that it raises hackles, but they are productive workers. And will fight for their rights.
But I like it. My role in the club is respect for a good knowledge of Marmalades, Jams, and in particular chutney and pickles, I might criticize  here, there is a blind spot in the cuisine for the last two condiments. My recipe for onion confit with coriander and saville orange, is served in at least 2 multi starred restaurants.

The regard for sport in France is different to the UK, it’s a community facility. And not experienced, difficult to explain how it weaves through society. The concept of a gym membership that you pay big money for would be greeted with amazement, and contempt.

PS, I comment on rural France. Big city France, I don’t know. 

Our club fees are 100€ around 60€ to the FFAM the rest for the club, I am responsable for the security, one of the 4 'teachers' which the FFAM has granted me a licence as a capable teacher, I also have the Public demonstration Licenses for three différent disciplines these are obtained with 3 juges they check out the plane and you do a proper demo flight i have the Jet Turbine, Helicopters and planes these are only valid 3 years and have to be renewed by flying in public with each of them and the organisers have to signe you off at the end of the meeting to the FFAM as being capable after your demonstrations, ( a crash and you loose them ) I got the Plane and Helicopter both in 1990, so not a newbie. I also look after the two mowers, and do all the work on the model engines, Ie; bearing changes, valve clearances, general repairs and pressure setting the Walbro carburettors, also regulating the engines, I also do most of first flights of planes in both Mode 1 and Mode 2 ! Helicopters mode 2 only all programming what ever the make of radio.

We have 3 'beginners' planes all with two radios for each with battery's and mode 1 and mode 2 capability's.

Our club will present a project to the FFAM and generally they agree and pay half, we own everything !, nearest neighbours around 800 metres away, and we fly all disciplines, even drone racers ( I have 2 )

Our runway is in gravel  around 16 metres x 165 metres, oriented North / South we have  2 tables for running and regulating planes up to 3 metres span protected by fences, a row of concrete tennis tables  for setting up and starting models 60cm off of the ground 4 reserved for electrics so that they stay clean, a Concret helipad, fencing is everywhere, not in my photo as it was taken around 5 years ago, it's surface is just over 2 hectares.

Ok 45 years over here my English maybe a bit funny.😉

GOPR2562-2048.jpg

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
oriented

OK, maybe I wasn't sufficiently explicit.  What I meant was - how is the FFAM (BMFA equivalent) funded?  I assume they collect member subscriptions, but to they get, sy, block grants from Central/Regional/Local government.

I've always had the impression that in France, if you wanted to form a club (of any sort) you just made an appointment at the Mairie, made your pitch and the Maire/sse got out the chequebook...

2 hours ago, Mike T said:

OK, maybe I wasn't sufficiently explicit.  What I meant was - how is the FFAM (BMFA equivalent) funded?  I assume they collect member subscriptions, but to they get, sy, block grants from Central/Regional/Local government.

I've always had the impression that in France, if you wanted to form a club (of any sort) you just made an appointment at the Mairie, made your pitch and the Maire/sse got out the chequebook...

Not that easy,  yes all done at the Marie, it has to come under the 1901 association law with a president,  vice president, accountant, secretary etc,,,,then a rule book, what the association wants to do, etc,,,,,then you joint the FFAM, that's where the cheque book comes out, I am not sure about the grants but it does come under a National sport so probably yes, you also need a doctors certificat.

Bottom line is Mike, sport and leisure activities are subsidized. 
I know that the 3rd party risk for my insurance is covered by the state. I think, note think, that the FFAM get grants to fund sports teams at National level. But your question is degree level. 
I get a nice field, no noise restrictions ( once, flying, the engine manifold cracked, and presented a horrendous noise. I came into a landing circuit. My president, alongside said, “why land, no one to worry”. I’m deaf, and I found it offensive.). Nice food, free booze, a meeting room in town, for about €60 a year, inc insurance. 
Taxes get paid to pay for this. Different way of life.

• Like 3