Latest requirements for flying in France

Wookman

2 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Yes the easiest thing is just join a club and fly there, no ID needed under 800 grams, so if over you do need to past a test and register it if you are French.

I assume you mean, "If you are French or have French residency status," and yes, flying in France is pretty civilised!

B2M Inter Clubs 2022 (10).JPG

B2M Barbeque again..JPG

New Year's Eve 2016 (Small).jpg

• Like 2

Yes, all the local clubs eat a lot on the field, In our container on the model field other than the mowers and 2 generators also has a fridge freezer, full of soft and not so soft drinks, a coffee machine with all the necessary to make it, all the appetisers that are freely 'drunk' the evenings that members decide to spend a lunch or dinner  or just pizzas, and September we cook a Paella,,,

2 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Yes the easiest thing is just join a club and fly there, no ID needed under 800 grams, so if over you do need to past a test and register it if you are French.

I assume you mean, if you are IN France you need to pass a test, and register.

The test and training videos are available in English. You need to pass every question. It’s not difficult, but you have to know them all. Fail, you do it again, after reference to the failed video. Which you have to watch again. 
The test is the same multi choice test, but in a different order. IE, the techi who wrote it efficiently delivered a brief, candidate can answer 20 questions accurately 

which is very annoying, given there is a boot full of questions about camera carrying machines, (France has very strict privacy laws). And my stuff has no cameras on board.  Merely noting, camera carrying machine, more regulations, find out is not good enough.

Wandering over a swimming pool, where young ladies gather is a NO NO, surprise, surprise.

Waste of time, earlier this year I was mooring my boat. Tide coming in, fast current, on my own. So I put it on the bank, jumped off with a rope, and held the boat against the current.
The bollards are further back than necessary. The boat is heavy. I have been burnt by ropes so often that you do not slide them over skin. And there is a drone hovering over the mooring bollard. I want to throw the rope over the bollard. It’s about 3 meters away. 

The drone crew, press written on their jackets, ignore the move away calls. Eventually, the boat is getting heavy, I throw the rope, to get it over the bollard. It catches the drone. 15mm ropes do no care about the touch, but the drone ceased to fly.

I moor the boat. The crew are demanding I pay. 
I point out they can’t fly in a built up area. Within 50 meters of me or the boat. And they gave up only when I keyed the Gardarmerie number on the phone, and offered it, with an invitation to call them.

But I would agree, French clubs are social groups, a by God, noisy groups when they get going.

Yes Don, awkward the stupid test, and you have to get 100% right to pass the test, I only wish that the French driving lessons and the way to use a roundabout was as strict.🤢

Boat owner 1 drone 0 did they give you the video ?.😆

We have a couple of British pilots every summer, no paperwork is done and nothing  said as they fly as British do 'properly' and of a high standard.🇬🇧 on the proper mode 2.

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon

• 5 weeks later...

I have now jumped through all the hoops required to enable me to fly legally in France.

1.  Do the course and pass the test on the AlphaTango website.

2. Obtain your flyer/operator id and register your certificate from the test above on the AlphaTango website.

3. Register your panes on the AlphaTango website and obtain their certificates and id numbers.

4. Apply the numbers to your plane so they are easily visible.

5. Obtain "Le passeport résident à l'étranger occasionnel" from FFAM via a FAMM affiliated club.

Having done all this I can now fly at any "blue" sites listed on the FFAM website without an electronic id tag.

Simples!

And to think back a few years, all you had to do was rock up and check that none of the Belgians or Germans were using your 35Mhz channel and fly.

Ah the price of "progress".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I actually stumbled across this whilst researching flying model aeroplanes in France! I have been living here (in France) 4 months now, and I am just getting back in to the hobby after one of my all too regular extended breaks! I live out in the countryside and have been given permission by the farmer to fly on the field immediately behind my house. I have enjoyed a few flights with a foamie whilst being completely oblivious to French law! 😮  I have just started researching it and realise that being given permission to fly over farm land doesn't make it legal! I am going to see if I can find the English version of the pilots test to complete, and also register my models. This remote ID module thingy is all new news to me though! I'm out here on my own, and would love to get to know a local club if anyone can help with any info? My area is Sourdeval 50150 Manche.

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer,

Walts.

An email to this bloke may be helpful.

https://www.ffam.asso.fr/fr/pratiquer-l-aeromodelisme/trouver-un-club-pres-de-chez-vous/resultats.html

Digging a bit deeper has identified several clubs in your department.

https://www.ffam.asso.fr/fr/pratiquer-l-aeromodelisme/trouver-un-club-pres-de-chez-vous/resultats.html

Edited by David Davis
  • Like 1

As far as flying in your field is concerned, you can use this site to discover if your field is outside the restricted zones. Assuming that is ok you can go to https://alphatango.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/login.jsp and make an account and from there you can switch to English to complete your 'training'. As your field is outside a registered club you will need to fit a 'balises' transponder if you want to stay within the law. From what I can see most do not. I built one, it is not hard if you have a modicum of electronic knowledge, if not, such things are available commercially 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlyinFlynn said:

As far as flying in your field is concerned, you can use this site to discover if your field is outside the restricted zones. Assuming that is ok you can go to https://alphatango.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/login.jsp and make an account and from there you can switch to English to complete your 'training'. As your field is outside a registered club you will need to fit a 'balises' transponder if you want to stay within the law. From what I can see most do not. I built one, it is not hard if you have a modicum of electronic knowledge, if not, such things are available commercially 

Thanks.  I did create an account on alphatango yesterday, but every time I try and click the link for the training modules it says the link is not secure, and won't progress to the page.  Very frustrating as I am trying my best here to stay within the law.

• Like 1

@David Davis, @FlyinFlynn and @Paul De Tourtoulon, I'm intrigued to understand what the average French modeller's attitude is to all these new regs, particularly the RID requirement... What are compliance levels like, and have their been any high profile enforcement actions by the authorities? Based on historic precedents I can't imagine French modellers have leapt to fit transponders left right and centre; have they dug out their gilets jaune instead, or perhaps just ignored it altogether?

Edited by MattyB

Also FlyinFlynn, thanks for the link to check local restrictions.  This pic shows my house and the nice big field immediately behind it which I have been given permission to fly on.  However the restrictions appear to be down to 50 meters! I'll have to practice my low level flying! 🙄😄

Screenshot_20230626-125603_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Walts

1 hour ago, MattyB said:

@David Davis, @FlyinFlynn and @Paul De Tourtoulon, I'm intrigued to understand what the average French modeller's attitude is to all these new regs, particularly the RID requirement... What are compliance levels like, and have their been any high profile enforcement actions by the authorities? Based on historic precedents I can't imagine French modellers have leapt to fit transponders left right and centre; have they dug out their gilets jaune instead, or perhaps just ignored it altogether?

I can only speak for our club, the President is a Gendarme and 'area' FFAM ( French Federation ) 'boss', so we are all compliant !.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MattyB said:

I don't understand RID requirement Matty.

At my club we have all taken a test promising that we will not drop bombs on a barracks nor take pictures of young ladies sunbathing without their permission. We've all registered with Alpha Tango and every model we make or buy has to have a unique number displayed upon it, mind you, this requirement doesn't cost us anything. I only fly from club fields registered with the FFAM so don't need to fit a transponder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Davis said:

I don't understand RID requirement Matty.

At my club we have all taken a test promising that we will not drop bombs on a barracks nor take pictures of young ladies sunbathing without their permission. We've all registered with Alpha Tango and every model we make or buy has to have a unique number displayed upon it, mind you, this requirement doesn't cost us anything. I only fly from club fields registered with the FFAM so don't need to fit a transponder.

By RID, I mean remote ID - the requirement to fit the transponder. That is the piece that is proving pretty devisive in the US and I suspect wouyld here in the UK. I guess if your site is FFAM registered it won't make much difference, but I can't help owondering how much off grid slope soaring is going on - I suspect adherence there is significantly lower given the likelihood of any enforcement...

Edited by MattyB

On 26/06/2023 at 11:44, Walts said:

Thanks.  I did create an account on alphatango yesterday, but every time I try and click the link for the training modules it says the link is not secure, and won't progress to the page.  Very frustrating as I am trying my best here to stay within the law.

I have sorted this now. It must have been a dodgy link I was trying to use initially. I've registered myself, initially registered a single model, and taken the test. My french isn't good enough at the moment to be able to wade my way through the 60 odd pages of the training manual, so I decided to take the test relying on my infinite knowledge of all things model flying 🙄 I passed the test with an 80% score, so it's not correct to say you need 100% to pass. I've printed off all the associated bits of paper, and now just need to purchase a transponder to be totally legal to fly out the back of my house. I may look in to a club soon too, although the nearest one seems to be an hours drive away. 

Edited by Walts

Most French model shops will have a balise on offer, it is a shame they seem to charge €40 to €50 for a shrinkwrapped device that is LITERALLY a gps module stuck on top of an esp32 with 4 interconnecting wires at a 200% markup. In case you have an inkling to build your own and you missed this in a different thread -  

• Like 2

Thanks, I did go back and have a read of that post. I don't have the slightest inkling what any of that electrical gaggle means, and I don't have any idea really when it comes to making electronic gadgetry , no matter how simple, so I guess I'll just have to pay the mark up 🙂