Latest requirements for flying in France

Wookman

Sorry to keep coming back to this thread with all my questions about France, but my questions don't seem to really warrant a thread of their own, so I was hoping to glean all my required answers through this thread if possible?

I'm getting confused between the Alphatango, and the FFAM sites. I have registered on the Alphatango site, completed the training module, and registered a model on there. I have also registered on the FFAM site, although it says I am unlicensed. So I am currently trying to complete their online pilot training to obtain this license, which is the one that requires you to have all 20 answers correct. I have watched all the videos, and answered all the questions several times. At the end of every attempt when I click the submit button I get this message come up on my screen, 'licencies.ffam.asso.fr says un erreur s'est produite lors de l'enregistrement de vos reponses: Vous n'etes pas licencie. Now is this saying there has been a problem with my internet link during submission, or is it saying I have got something wrong in my answers? I have attempted this several times now, which is very time consuming, but it always ends with this message. Help please!   

Google Translate to the rescue…

”licencies.ffam.asso.fr says an error occurred while saving your answers: You are not licensed.”

Sounds like you are going to have to try another device or connect via a different method; if that doesn’t work, send them an email asking for help.

PS - If you follow this link, everything should get translated automagically…

Edited by MattyB

Thanks for the replies guys. 

I have already done and passed the test on the Alphatango page, but I believe this is a completely different thing to the FFAM test? If I'm understanding this properly,  the Alphatango site is the government site that you legally have to comply with to be able to fly a model in France,  in or outside of a club. I am guessing the FFAM is the equivalent of the BMFA, and as such is not a legal requirement as a 'country' flyer? 

However, I would still like to complete any tests they do offer. 

Edited by Walts

I like being a member of a club. I like the cameraderie, the banter and the mutual support, so when I moved to France I sought out and joined the nearest club.

I took my Brevet A and my QPDD on the same day in 2016. The Brevet A is similar to the BMFA's A Certificate but it requires the pilot to put his model through more manouevres. You have to take off, perform a left hand then a right hand circuit at a more or less constant altitude, then a horizontal eight, a loop, a roll and a reversal. In the latter manouevre you have to climb, put the model on it's back then pull up elevator so that the model ends up flying the correct way up on the opposite track. Then you have to land safely. The QPDD at the time entitled you to fly at events which admit the paying public but as of next year the FFAM will make the qualification much more challenging and will change the title of the qualification. I've forgotten what the new qualification will be called, SAPA I believe. As I have no wish to fly at a public event, the change will not affect me.

When I took my tests, the event was organised by three clubs at my club's flying field. My flying was judged by at least two experienced pilots who were members of the two other clubs. We made quite a day of it. People took their Brevet As with helicoptors and gliders as well as fixed wing aircraft, then, this being France, we all retired for a four-course lunch! 

• Like 1