Any ideas ?

fluffyninja

Hi I am new to this forum , just wondered if anyone had any ideas on my problem ?

After building and connecting up everything as I thought I should I can get proper throttle and aileron control but the only movement I can get on the elevators is down from the central position not up so the A/C wouldn't be able to climb.

A/C is a BAE Arrows 50mm Hawk with spektrum DXS transmitter , thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

You need to state more details or a photo of the servos to enable us to help you.   My first thought is that you may have the wrong Mode  -   so please state if you are using Mode 2  ( elevator on right stick ) or Mode 1 ( elevator on left stick and throttle right )   Many modern Tx can be swapped from Mode 2 to Mode 1 in the memory and the throttle rachet can be swapped physically inside the case.  When it's swapped the elevator stick is then springloaded centrally.

If it's not a Mode problem then show a photo of the servo arms.

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, kc said:

Welcome to the forum.

You need to state more details or a photo of the servos to enable us to help you.   My first thought is that you may have the wrong Mode  -   so please state if you are using Mode 2  ( elevator on right stick ) or Mode 1 ( elevator on left stick and throttle right )   Many modern Tx can be swapped from Mode 2 to Mode 1 in the memory and the throttle rachet can be swapped physically inside the case.  When it's swapped the elevator stick is then springloaded centrally.

If it's not a Mode problem then show a photo of the servo arms.

Mode 2

Well spotted Gary!     So it's OK the elevator is actually on the correct stick  ( right stick) for Mode 2

Normally a Tx comes as Mode 2 but someone might have altered it.   ( worth checking what lights come on though )

Next question is what channels are the servos plugged into and then is the elevator servo arm central when stick is centred.

Edited by kc

If I've got my head around the inverted video, you are setup for mode 2 (throttle on the left) and everything looks to be working the right way round.

Ailerons look OK but the length of your elevator pushrods need mechanically adjusting so that the ailerons are level with the transmitter stick in the centre position. The servo arms should be 90 degrees to the pushrods when in this position.

Edited by Gary Manuel

I think your ailerons are inverted, but the reverse video is playing tricks with my mind.

Can you post another video not inverted and clearly show which way you are moving the sticks and which way the controls move. It would also help if we could see the elevator servo arm movement too.

Agree it is a Mode2 Tx. 

I would disconnect the elevator rod clevises and check that the servo will drive in both directions. If it does then check that the servo arm is centred on the servo.  (Right angle with the control rod.)

If it is then the clevises need unscrewing to move the elevators to their central level position. If there is an adjuster at the servo end that also could be adjusted.

IMPORTANT - does this model have a "Giro" stabiliser ?

In the video, is that the elevator servo that can be seen ?

There is an allen key clamp on the servo arm. Check that the arm is central at the stick neutral and undo the clamp and adjust the wire rod to set the elevators. I presume that the rod is long enough for this. You may have to unscrew the clevises as well to set up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EarlyBird said:

@fluffyninjaSomething is making me think that this is your first model.

I get the same questions at my local model shop , 2 years ago they laughed at me and told me to go away and learn to fly using a trainer

I have done everything they asked and bought myself  P51 & Spitfire foamies.

Now I would like to try something a bit bigger and am getting the same kind of thing , if people never try how are they supposed to know

if they are capable of flying them ?

I know it's not going to be easy and I'm going to end up needing / ordering a gyro , for now I'm just trying to get it working properly and

functioning as it says in the manual , as it says do your pre flight checks.

Elevator not functioning obviously , just trying to fix that and understand what's wrong before I even think about flying it.

1 minute ago, John Wagg said:

In the video, is that the elevator servo that can be seen ?

There is an allen key clamp on the servo arm. Check that the arm is central at the stick neutral and undo the clamp and adjust the wire rod to set the elevators. I presume that the rod is long enough for this. You may have to unscrew the clevises as well to set up.

Yes it is the elevator servo , there appears to be a tiny allen clamp and there is about an inch or so spare rod that you could push through , thanks 😀 

• Like 1