Any ideas ?

fluffyninja

4 minutes ago, fluffyninja said:

if people never try how are they supposed to know

if they are capable of flying them ?

Generally people find that it's necessary to build up experience step by step.   Ducted fan models often are very tricky on take off,  small models are often fast and difficult to see.   It's important to instantly give the right control movements for the situation.   So take it step by step.   Quite few people have been killed by model aircraftt going out of control........

Much easier to see with new video 🎞️

As John Wagg says for adjusting the elevator.

Ailerons ARE working the wrong way round as I thought. The aileron channel needs reversing on the Transmitter to fix this - transmitter manual should explain this.

P.S. From past experience of using the forum, someone will be along pretty soon to advise you about not trying to fly it on your own.

Don't take it the wrong way when they do. They are offering good advise based on their experience.

New pilot have MUCH greater success rates if the get someone to teach them and set the model up. Ideally join a club.

Good luck with setting up the model and eventually flying it.

Edited by Gary Manuel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gary Manuel said:

Much easier to see with new video 🎞️

As John Wagg says for adjusting the elevator.

Ailerons ARE working the wrong way round as I thought. The aileron channel needs reversing on the Transmitter to fix this - transmitter manual should explain this.

P.S. From past experience of using the forum, someone will be along pretty soon to advise you about not trying to fly it on your own.

Don't take it the wrong way when they do. They are offering good advise based on their experience.

New pilot have MUCH greater success rates if the get someone to teach them and set the model up. Ideally join a club.

Good luck with setting up the model and eventually flying it.

They already have !! Thanks , have seen in the instructions how to reverse a channel on the transmitter👍

10 minutes ago, Gary Manuel said:

16 minutes ago, kc said:

Generally people find that it's necessary to build up experience step by step.   Ducted fan models often are very tricky on take off,  small models are often fast and difficult to see.   It's important to instantly give the right control movements for the situation.   So take it step by step.   Quite few people have been killed by model aircraftt going out of control........

Appreciate that very easy for a faster plane to get away from you and I realise you need to think one step ahead with these things , think where you're going 

not where you are at , will def take small steps , I just want to get it working first.

1 hour ago, fluffyninja said:

Another video of the servo horn and pushrod

You need to make 2 adjustments to get the elevators set up correctly.

1. Slacken of the CENTRE screw on the servo arm and with the transmitter and model on and responding but stick centred, turn the arm a couple of splines anti-clockwise until the arm is at 90 degrees to the control rods.

2. Slacken off the grub screw on the end of the servo arm and adjust the two elevator halves so that they are level with the tail plane.

The correct way for the control surfaces to move is:

Position yourself BEHIND the model

Ailerons - Push the stick to the RIGHT and the RIGHT hand aileron should move UP. Push the stick to the LEFT and the LEFT hand aileron should move UP.

Elevator - Push the stick away from you (UP when looking at transmitter face on) and the elevator should move DOWN. Pull the stick towards you and the elevator should move UP. i.e. the opposite to what you would expect.

This makes the model behave as a joystick in a full size aeroplane would. i.e move stick right to bank right. Pull stick towards you to pitch the nose up.

Edited by Gary Manuel

Just a little bit extra to help with what Gary has said using the picture below

Slacken of the CENTRE screw on the servo arm (1), lift off servo arm and with the transmitter and model on and responding but stick centred, turn the arm so that it is at 90 degrees to the servo and refit to servo, replacing the screw.

Slacken off the grub screw on the end of the servo arm (2) and adjust the two elevator halves by adjusting the pushrods (3) so that the elevators are level with the tail plane.

image.thumb.png.3857d2495c68c2c6598b6e945f0febec.png

Edited by Ron Gray

fluffyninja - I have one of those Hawks, I fly it on 3s 1500's and can tell you it gets very small, very quickly; also, it likes to be flown fast so you have minimal thinking time - your inputs need to be pretty much automatic. That's why it's not recommended for someone learning.  It's certainly not hard to fly, but you have no thinking time.....

I think you may need to have less control movement too - looks like you have more aileron movement than I do by about 50% - can't see elevator movement.  I'll measure my throws later - mine rolls vey fast and the elevator movement allows quite high alpha, but is still sufficient to induce a high speed stall if I am ham-fisted. That's how I lost my first one.

Finally, mine is the only one of the little Arrows edf in the club that hasn't had its nose knocked off following a launch. I always launch at full throttle, aiming slightly above the horizon.  The upside is that it reaches flying speed immediately, with no 'dip' (it doesn't hit the ground!); the downside is that it's immediately getting away from you....

What do you currently fly?

• Like 2

On 11/08/2022 at 19:42, Gary Manuel said:

Please FluffyNinja, take the above advice.

As an instructor, there is nothing worse than watching someone struggle to get their machine in the air, crash it, then get disillusioned and leave aeromodelling. Even worse, watching a new flyer being trained very poorly or under a strict regime without considering the new flyers skill level.

All new flyers are different and will struggle with different things until they reach a certain skill level.

Please, search the BMFA website and find a few clubs in your local area. Visit them all before deciding which one to join. Each club has its own atmosphere and ways of doing things so find the one that suits you. Take your plane with you and ask for help, that may give you an indication of the club which suits you better.

Best of luck and please keep us posted with your progress.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

FluffyNinja, you said you ‘will def take small steps’. Unfortunately with this type of model (very small/fast flying) it is a case of full throttle and full bodied throw from the get go. That is, if you want it to get away and fly rather than crashing into the dirt in front of you. You will need someone competent (a modeller) to launch it for you so that both your hands are on the sticks and your eyes on the model at the point of launch.

Weather you join a club or not you will need help from a modeller to set the model up properly (control throws and C of G) and launch it for you.

if you go it alone I suspect the models first flight will be it’s last, like so many tyro modellers before you.

I hope you prove me wrong and good luck with your first flight. 🤞🍀

FluffyNinja

My own suggestion is find a competent & experienced RC flyer and get them to initially set up the plane and do the maiden flight for you.

The reason being that unless you miraculously set up the plane exactly right so it flies 'straight and level' unaided it is quite likely that it will need some 'instinctive' reactions as the plane leaves the launching hand. There will simply not be the time to 'think' what to do to correct what is happening before it hits the ground.

During the maiden flight the test pilot should also have 'trimmed' the plane so it does fly properly thus when you fly it should only be about controlling where the plane goes. For a small fast EDF even that is easier said then done.