Futaba S148 versus modern mini servos

MikeQ

Hi

got into a discussion on the field.  Back in the day the Futaba S148 was something of a benchmark, for me anyway, as far as general sport flying was concerned.

would it be fair to say that something like a modern Savox 255 would do the same job if not better.

https://servoshop.co.uk/index.php?pid=SH0255MG&area=Servo

https://servodatabase.com/servo/futaba/s148

I would say so in my experience, it has higher specs even if the package is smaller overall.  

Can anyone see any disadvantages?

cheers

mike

Edited by MikeQ

The dear old "evergreen", analogue, Futaba s148 seems to revered with almost God-like status in some quarters. 

This is a servo which has been around for almost as long as the dinosaurs have been extinct. 

However, this longevity doesn't necessarily make it a particularly fabulous servo. 

The 148 is not ballraced so it has a wobbly output shaft.  This wobbliness gets worse with the passage of time.  It also has fairly sloppy, lacklustre resolution. 

They are okay in applications which don't require a particularly high performance, but any aircraft beyond a basic trainer generally appreciates better servos. . YES there is a difference, and that difference can be immediately detected from our stick inputs.

Regrettably, I have seen far too many instances where a "jolly old 148" has been employed in aircraft which really should have better servos. . It's scary at times. 

It can be likened to embarking on a lengthy road trip on an overloaded moped.  Yes, it might get you from A to B, but a Jaguar would be a much better, less stressful choice of vehicle. 

People are free to overload their lowly mopeds if they want.  Personally, I wouldn't even use a 148 on the throttle. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian Cooper said:

The dear old "evergreen", analogue, Futaba s148 seems to revered with almost God-like status in some quarters. 

This is a servo which has been around for almost as long as the dinosaurs have been extinct. 

However, this longevity doesn't necessarily make it a particularly fabulous servo. 

The 148 is not ballraced so it has a wobbly output shaft.  This wobbliness gets worse with the passage of time.  It also has fairly sloppy, lacklustre resolution. 

They are okay in applications which don't require a particularly high performance, but any aircraft beyond a basic trainer generally appreciates better servos. . YES there is a difference, and that difference can be immediately detected from our stick inputs.

Regrettably, I have seen far too many instances where a "jolly old 148" has been employed in aircraft which really should have better servos. . It's scary at times. 

It can be likened to embarking on a lengthy road trip on an overloaded moped.  Yes, it might get you from A to B, but a Jaguar would be a much better, less stressful choice of vehicle. 

People are free to overload their lowly mopeds if they want.  Personally, I wouldn't even use a 148 on the throttle. 

Brian; please suggest an alternative, reasonable servo. I like the Hitec standard ball raced ?

Maury

Futaba 3001 of course if you want a ball race. I have always had a slight preference for plain bearings. When they slop, they are worn out, and are replaced, also replacing all the other bits of the servo that had lived it’s service life in the rough and tumble life that they have.

But bottom line, ye old 148/3001 weigh in at over 300 grams for a seven servo aircraft. A replacement with modern HV digitals saves over half the weight. 
That’s free weight loss. Not many aircraft don’t benefit from a diet.

• Like 1