Blue Pallets

Chris Leggate

I've had a load of tiles delivered for a bathroom project, and they arrived on a blue pallet.  I am now informed by my local recycling centre that they don't take blue ones, only natural wood ones.  I could try taking it back to the supplier but it won't fit in my car.   Has anyone had one of these, and how did you dispose of it?

3 minutes ago, Gary Manuel said:

I've never heard of CHEP though I have seen a few blue pallets.

What a great idea, though the cost (money and environmental) of transporting the collected pallets must be affecting their business model.

CHEP own the pallets and maintain them, they rent or lease to companies like supermarkets for example where after each delivery empty pallets are collected and returned to their warehouse to be reused. I have seen them escape this loop in the past, they are very well made intended for multiple round trips. Anyone not renting is handling stolen goods which explains why 

1 hour ago, Chris Leggate said:

local recycling centre that they don't take blue ones,

How they escape the loop is something I have wondered about for a long time.

Steve

44 minutes ago, Chris Leggate said:

Thanks guys. I notice that CHEP offer a free pickup service but I doubt they’ll turn up for my one.  If only I still had my allotment it would “vanish”

Well according to their website, the pallets are their property and they say they will collect them for free. That's why I questioned the cost of transportation in their business model.

THIS pick up request form talks about collecting a pallet in it's singular form.

Their business model is lease/rental which, if anything like in construction, they will rent as many as you want and once delivered you will get a monthly rental bill. Simple so I rent 1000 say and get a bill every month it's up to me to keep account of how many I have because I will continue to get a bill for 1000. I realise 100 have gone missing and need more so I order another 100 I will now get a bill for 1100. Clever bit is if I tell them 100 were stolen then I get a one-off bill for the replacement cost and from then on, a monthly bill for 1000. It does not matter how long I have had the originals for and how much over their value I have paid in rental I will still get a bill for replacement cost. Which makes me think the more that are stolen the happier they will be. Which brings us to the stolen ones, everyone they collect goes into stock to be rented out, maybe to whom it was stolen from. Could they send a courier to collect them? even if there is only one.

I would have thought CHEP customers would be big users, like supermarkets, who use them in their thousands, who replace them in large quantities with delivery charge added on. 

I am thinking this is a smart business model which must have made a few millionaires out of the simple concept of renting out pallets, now why didn't I think of that?

Steve

• Like 1