British balsa build

Gsky

Hi all,

looking for some input on my next build. Would like to have a British iconic plane (IC)/jet (edf). Max span 1.6m. 

would be my second build. Flown balsa, foam high/low wing and jets but no warbirds. Would like to avoid expert level models for flying/building.

I fly off 100m short grass.

was thinking about spitfire/tempest/sea fury/ Vulcan/ concord.

My short list would be the TN spitfire 1.6m or TN concord. but open to other brands of kits.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Stan down at Phoenix Model Products does a Tucano (not British but flown by the RAF) and a Chipmunk (very British and iconic) and I know he is working on an Me 109 ( not British but definitely iconic). Stans stuff is always designed so that it is easy to make a good job of it. His website is undergoing a major migration at the moment but you can always give him a ring. 01626 332287

1 hour ago, Wookman said:

Stan down at Phoenix Model Products does a Tucano (not British but flown by the RAF) and a Chipmunk (very British and iconic) and I know he is working on an Me 109 ( not British but definitely iconic). Stans stuff is always designed so that it is easy to make a good job of it. His website is undergoing a major migration at the moment but you can always give him a ring. 01626 332287

Thanks wookman. Had a quick look and gave Stan a call. The kits looks great, nice detail in the instructions. We’ve got some of those models flying at our field but not quite tickling my fancy. 

There nothing British, iconic and instantly recognisable as Concorde.

Not the easiest thing to build or to fly from grass but it does fly well if light enough. Of course transport is a nightmare.

Can't help with kits or plans as I scratch built mine using thin sheet foam. It is hand launched.24Apr14.jpg.db9c964f1d638e4ff74249a189a9bef1.jpg 

A still from a flight video.

Just saying. 😉 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wookman said:

Isn't the Chipmunk a Canadian design?

1 hour ago, Simon Burch 1 said:

Isn't the Chipmunk a Canadian design?

Yes, good point. Designed in Canada by a Pole. They proceeded to manufacture 217 in Canada. We made a further 1000 in the UK and the Portuguese produced 66. Not sure if that makes it Polish, Canadian, British collaboration? The Chipmunk is definitely iconic in Britain even if it's Britishness is under question.

16 hours ago, kevin b said:

How about the P-51D.

Built to a British specification.

Bubble top canopy. British innovation (Hawker Aviation ?).

Rolls Royce engine (Well it was British back then)

Certainly iconic.

Fairey Swordfish

British.

Iconic

WWII warbird.

🙃

I thought unlike the cars Rolls Royce engines are still British 🙂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

I think France may disagree Simon, they added a few nuts and bolts.

Nope - just the 'e'...

Their only other contribution was causing the premature demise of the whole venture (and they only managed that with the help of an unwitting Yank...)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Outrunner said:

I thought unlike the cars Rolls Royce engines are still British 🙂

Rolls-Royce is still British.  I think BMW has the rights to use the name for cars but the British company is the ultimate owner of it.  I think there was some sort of deal when RR took over BMW's gas turbine operation. 

I used to interview potential under-graduate and graduate trainees on the so-called milk round (so long ago I've almost forgotten I did!) but we used to mark them down if they mentioned cars as part of the business 🙂

On 17/08/2022 at 18:23, kc said:

DB Sport & Scale have plenty of British kits of British planes  - maybe a Vampire or their Spifire would fit the bill...

the DB spitfire looks very nice. Bit bigger than I was looking for at 2m but I guess bigger flys better. Out of stock but will keep an eye on it.

On 17/08/2022 at 23:33, Dad_flyer said:

I agree with SC on Concorde. It can be iconic British whilst also being iconic French.

There are a couple of threads on the TN one on this Forum. 4x EDF puts the cost up, retracts make it even worse. But beautiful and uncommon as a model.

yes the Concorde would be great. I agree the retracts are pricey but it will be a slow build so could split the cost over some months.

any ideas what is more challenging to build, tn Concorde or DB spitfire?

How about a Canberra it is an all British success - long lasting & sold well worldwide, they were still being overhauled into the 1980's for resale to various countries.  

So good the Aussies used the name for their capital city !! 😁

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Gsky said:

any ideas what is more challenging to build, tn Concorde or DB spitfire?

Any of the C.A.P range from Sarik  quite a few British planes there,  Spitfire Auster, Tiger Moth, Hurricane, Mosquito, Gladiator etc. A real challenge to build, not for the faint hearted.  

On 17/08/2022 at 11:29, Gsky said:

would be my second build

Spotted this...

Do you want a kit or plan?

For second ever build i would suggest avoiding stuff with awkward shapes. E.g hurricane is more straight lines that a spitfire. 

On 20/08/2022 at 17:31, Nigel R said:

Spotted this...

Do you want a kit or plan?

For second ever build i would suggest avoiding stuff with awkward shapes. E.g hurricane is more straight lines that a spitfire. 

Kit would be best, with laser cut wood pack. I do see what you are saying about the awkward shapes but hurricane isn’t quite doing it for me 🙂