QR codes only for extra information

Ace

I have noticed that many recent features, articles and builds in the RCM&E have displayed a QR for extra information. All well and good if you want to look at the additional information on a tablet or tiny smart phone. Personally I like a PC and unless I am missing something I can't see how I can access the information advertised eg additional building pictures/info from a featured plan article.

The QR code must link to a data base so why not print a link or have a reference point to search? 

Seems short sighted to alienate/exclude a percentage of readers. Any ideas please 🙏

Edited by Ace
  • Like 1

I am grateful for the knowledge, having recently been bullied into getting a phone, having relieved myself of the last one in 2005 by throwing it in a handy duck pond.

Last time, the number was available. Not now. It is known to 2 Governments, 5 people, and one company. It remains silent. My sister, who I love, gobby, asked for the number. I nicely told her, no.

Thanks MattyB - Not heard of a Windows10 QR reader 👍 Jury is still out on there use for me.🤔

Like Don I am protective of both my phone number and email address being very conscious of my digital footprint and giving my precious and valuable data away while being tracked for little reward.

I presume all these QR scans are a marketing/data goldmine making some very rich, data you you can never retrieve 😭 

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Like Don I am protective of both my phone number and email address being very conscious of my digital footprint and giving my precious and valuable data away while being tracked for little reward.

I presume all these QR scans are a marketing/data goldmine making some very rich, data you you can never retrieve 😭 

1 hour ago, GrumpyGnome said:

As far as I know, using a QR code doesn't result in anything being saved - possibly a cookie when you reach the 'destination' similar to visiting a web page. It's just a quick way of reaching a destination.

GG is correct. Following a QR code is really no different from following a traditional URL link or general browsing in terms of the personal information you are sharing at the point you click. If you accept cookies after following the link or QR code - and most do whether they entered the URL or followed a QR code - the ads you see on future sites will be customised based on your past browsing history. Cookies themselves though don't contain any personal information such as email, phone number, address etc. It's true that dynamic QR codes can allow marketeers to capture some limited information on how they are being used in a macro sense (total scans by country/city, totoal scans by OS, scans in a time period etc), but that information is all anonymous and would not be classsed as personal information under GDPR.

https://www.qr-code-generator.com/blog/how-does-qr-code-tracking-work/

Having said that, QR codes can present a threat in terms of phishing. A malicious code in a public place can be used to divert users to a cloned website that looks exactly like a legitiamte one (for instance a bank or other financial site). Users enter their credentials and voila, the threat actor can log into the real site as that user. It's not as common as it was, but when QR codes first came out there were cases where malicious codes were being printed onto stickers and overlayed on adverts in stations, shopping centres etc for this purpose.

Even so this is easily prevented by doing the standard checks you should always do before entering your username and password - what email address did the link come from, is it a classic "do something quickly or else" call to action, and does the URL look legit? If any of these are suspicious then don't log in to the site in question.

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Not sure - remember when you had to scan one on entering premises during covid restrictions so you could be contacted?

Short summary - The use of QR codes in that instance and the use of personal data to trace you are entirely unrelated and separable.

Long version - The use of QR codes in this instance was jsut for speed and convenience, and did not endanger any of your personal information. At the time of downloading the app you were asked to provide personal information into the app for the purposes of tracing you in the event of a C-19 contact, and you consented to that. When you scanned the QR code to check in all it was doing was logging your (anonymised) unique ID as being there from that point in time; none of your personal information was shared.

Yes there were significant intial concerns with the way it was to be engineered (as an InfoSec professional I remeber reading the initial proposal and thinking "errrrr, no thanks"!) and pushback from Apple and Google, but that version never went live other than in a very early pilot. UK Gov instead went back to the drawing board to ensure that everything was anonymised. Only in the event of a C-19 case (reported by your phone or someone else who had checked in there at the same time) could your details be used by T&T to trace you, and I believe you were only called if you did not respond in the app itself.

More details here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-covid-19-app-privacy-information/anonymisation-definitions-and-user-data-journeys

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kevin b said:

Wouldn't it be nice if all the information was actually put in the magazine ?   🙃

I'm sure they'd like to, but if they did that the # of pages (and cost to produce) would inevitably go up. It's cheaper and easier to provide that conetn elsewhere and add a QR code linking to it - rmeber there id dfineltely a ceiling price people will pay for the mag, and with everything else skyrocketing I' sure they are evaluating every option to keep costs low. Besides, hwo man people reading don't now have a smartphone or other device they could use to access this content?

Thanks MattyB for taking the time, my fingers were aching just reading the detailed info 👏

Being someone who manages (rejects) cookie options and uses the phone primarily for calls, texts and emails  am still disappointed there is not a url link which takes up less space. Ok in this world of instant the cost is data given away - jury is still out for me. Thanks again MattyB for taking the time to explain.  

13 hours ago, Ace said:

Thanks MattyB for taking the time, my fingers were aching just reading the detailed info 👏

Being someone who manages (rejects) cookie options and uses the phone primarily for calls, texts and emails  am still disappointed there is not a url link which takes up less space. Ok in this world of instant the cost is data given away - jury is still out for me. Thanks again MattyB for taking the time to explain.  

There are lots of services like TinyURL that shorten links, but the problem is a) people find those links difficult to type in accurately and b) everything I wrote about QR codes and phishing also applies to them. As a result QR codes are generally preferred by most who use them, especially given the much higher percentages of browsing that goes on with mobiles and tablets now.

• 1 month later...

While I accept many may use a phone or tablet there must be a considerable number who enjoy reading a physical mag and use a a laptop or as I do a PC for the forum/browsing.  So this section of the paying membership are excluded from accessing the additional information in say a featured build. If you have to write the reason to scan the code : Scan this QR code for lots more construction shots and views of the finished Hound Dog, why not also include a url ?  Advertisers that include them are just a quick link and you can always find the product with a link to the same information. As far as I am aware there is no way to access the additional information in RCM&E QR codes? I presume digital subscribers can access QR codes direct from their screen? 

I did add a digital copy once but never used it - not once so binned it. 

I do have a smart phone but absolutely detest continually scrolling, zooming in and out etc. I find the mag whole page layout with pictures a much more pleasing read. Are people moving back to books from ereaders for the same reason !!!! 

Dinosaur possibly but an excluded paying one.   

• Like 2

Having to use a webcam and a Windows 10 "app" to read the QR code still excludes those of us who think the mobile phone is an abomination and that Windows 10 is inferior to W7.

I request that a simple link be published in the printed copy of the magazine (not too difficult I would have thought) that ensures no one is excluded.

Most of the approaches suggested are actually much more expensive than printing the link. Cutting back on the cost of printing and putting the costs onto the customer and excluding some customers is really not acceptable. printed links probably uses less ink than a QR code anyway

It is also interesting to remember that the digital world is supposed to make it easy for the users not to be more inconvenient and more expensive

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It can be frustrating when we want to access additional information but are limited by the medium through which it's presented. But have you heard of Smart Engines SDK? Its powerful OCR engine can extract text and data from images, including QR codes. And the best part? It can be integrated into your own software and applications. So if you prefer using a PC to access information, you could use Smart Engines SDK to scan the QR code and access the data on your computer. I agree that it's important not to exclude anyone, and printing a link alongside the QR code is a great idea. It's a simple solution that ensures everyone has equal access to information. And you're right. It's interesting how the digital world is supposed to make things easier. Still, sometimes it can feel more inconvenient and expensive.

Edited by Enmanbern
  • Like 2

Thanks for the suggestion will ponder it, but I don't like encouraging the trend. The world of the internet is becoming more inconvenient  and more expensive for no good reason (except some one else profit). You do business with an internet entity and before you get the goods you are inundated with emails demanding that you rate the supplier, the deliverer and goodness know who else, all from no reply addresses (they should be banned) and mostly with no way to opt out.

We are well into the age of digitisation of everything but you only have to scan this forum to see how many digital sources of knowledge have been lost forever in the last 20 years. Most of the digitisers have paid little attention to the longevity of file format and so on. 

Good job we have model flying to take our mind of iut all.