Decided on a new flying direction

To continue my effort to get back into gliders I have ordered a MPX Easy Glider4, which has been  strongly recommended. I have in addition to this purchased Lemon 7 Chanel DSMX Stab Plus rx, but I am having trouble understanding how to programme it. The writing on the rx is extremely small, and even using a torch and a magnifying glass it is difficult to read. Instructions didnt come with it, I have contacted the seller, but as of this time I have not yet recieved an answer, but I am hoping someone here could meanwhile help.

Harry Glover

The Lemon is a good unit to start with Harry. I have installed two, and corrected two that gave trouble, due to human error.

Level installation is vital, and the trouble came about due to misalignment by the fitter trying to cram one in the model.

This, from your instructions, will save you much headscratching.

IMG_20220819_193319.jpg

• Like 1

Harry

+1 on the Lemon stab. I have several.

The Easy glider is not complex but if you use dual ailerons, which you will have to if you want to use crow braking, then the second aileron has to go on the Lemon AUX1 channel.

In something like the Easy glider I would only use the 'rate' gyro option. It will react to gusts and turbulence far faster than you can so the plane will fly very smoothly in rough conditions but you are still in full control all the time. As you are not using the "gear" channel there is a dip switch on the Lemon that allows the gyro to be switched on and off in flight. Highly recommended so you can actually see the effect of the gyro.

Finally the pre flight control check must include checking that the gyro moves the control surfaces to oppose any sudden plane movement. Get the set up wrong and you will all most certainly crash.

ps

The RC Groups blog on the Lemon stab rx series is where the official Lemon web site directs you for instructions. 

Edited by Simon Chaddock

2 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

The EG is pretty stable, I managed to bungee launch mine without switching on the Rx 🙄 it went up the line, did 3 circuits and landed in the adjacent field 👍

Agreed. I know Horizon Hobby are on a mission to convince us that it's absolutely impossible to fly without stabilization (they even add one to the Radian these days for goodness sake 🤦‍♂️), but it's not necesary in something like an EG which is by design a super stable platform. By all means try it, but make sure you can switch it off from the TX - a stab by it's very nature will damp out the indicators of lift and sink that a good thermal pilot is trying to read. For this reason I'd be inclined to set it up to be active in the climb and landing flight phases, and leave it dsabled the rest of the time.

It's all about reading the air, so don't make that harder for yourself!

Edited by MattyB

It's the return to home feature (3) below is the reason for the stabiliser. 

On 09/08/2022 at 09:01, Harry Glover said:

I have decided to take up thermal soaring again after a period of about 30 years of sport and scale flying. Things have moved on since then and now I need to be brought up to date. I envisage I would need a glider with the following spec:

1. An ARF of about 100 inch ws (2 seperate wing panels because of my small car)

2, Electric (because of convenience and my age (Im 81)

3.A RX which has Return to Home (just in case!) and is compatible with Spektrum Tx

I have tried to find something which would cover my wishes, but the more I searched, the more I simply became more confused, and therefore decided to ask the forum of their view.

What do you think? Am I asking too much, or should I do more research. Any recommendation of model, Rx and anything else to get me going, would be appreciated.

Thanks, 

Harry

Edited by EarlyBird

5 hours ago, EarlyBird said:

It's the return to home feature (3) below is the reason for the stabiliser. 

I’m not aware of any Lemon RX receiver that has RTH built in; for RTH you generally need an additional unit (essentially a flight controller) that has GPS. Anyway, as we discussed in that thread, RTH is really a flawed concept when applied to a lightweight thermal soarer, so I would just forget about it and go fly with a standard unstabilised setup.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

None of the lemon receivers have RTH. I have flown models with the lemon stabilizer plus receiver and it does help if conditions are gusty. However there is a downside,  the receiver takes about 15 seconds to initialise,  not a problem when you first switch it on before take off but a potentially large problem if the receiver loses signal in the air,  15 seconds is a long time to be out of control. This happened to me flying a Hobbyking Skipper, fortunately the failsafe was set to engage self levelling mode so as the model descended from a loop the motor cut,  the model rolled upright,  pulled out of the loop and performed a downwind landing about 20 feet away from me,  all this before the receiver regained contact.  When a similar thing happened with a Spektrum Ar620,  the telemetry reported a hold and around a second later I was back in full control. 

17 hours ago, Shaun Walsh said:

None of the lemon receivers have RTH. I have flown models with the lemon stabilizer plus receiver and it does help if conditions are gusty. However there is a downside,  the receiver takes about 15 seconds to initialise,  not a problem when you first switch it on before take off but a potentially large problem if the receiver loses signal in the air,  15 seconds is a long time to be out of control. This happened to me flying a Hobbyking Skipper, fortunately the failsafe was set to engage self levelling mode so as the model descended from a loop the motor cut,  the model rolled upright,  pulled out of the loop and performed a downwind landing about 20 feet away from me,  all this before the receiver regained contact.  When a similar thing happened with a Spektrum Ar620,  the telemetry reported a hold and around a second later I was back in full control. 

Are you sure about this? That sounds more like a loss of power to the RX than a loss of signal. A stabilised RX will tend to take longer to restart after a loss of power (e.g. a brown out) because it has to initialise the gyros and work out which way is up, but it should ping back to life just as quickly as an unstabilized RX in the event of a loss of signal. Having said that if the failsafe did engage that implies there must have been some power to the RX I suppose. Rather strange, but I agree if that if you are right it is rather a nasty characteristic…