How do you Fly

Stephen Grigg

I normally take 3. A low wing model with a four stroke (my newest model), which I tend to fly in good weather. A panic biplane which will fly in any weather and a small electric model made from 6mm Depron which I fly in most weathers at low altitude. The conditions when I arrive at the flying field will dictate if I get the low wing model out or the Panic. In all cases I normally fly the electric model.

Number of flights normally  5 to 6 depending on number of people who are there. The more people the less flights and the more talking.

I put as many suitable planes in the car as I can.  I fly them all - some will fly more than others - as I'm a tight-wad and don't but multiple battery packs, the electrics don't get flown as often as the slimers.  Typically, a session will be one or possibly two flights on each of the leccies plus between half a dozen and a dozen on the slimey 'uns.

For instance, on Saturday it was:

Rogue(2), EHawk(1), Easystreet(1), Wot4(7), UltimateFunFly(3).

Oh, and toy car a couple of times

GG

What models depends on the winds predicted but as I have a 70 mile round trip for power flying I normally take 3 aircraft and fly them all. Last time out (Saturday) was 3 and I had 8 flights. When sloping max 3 (can't carry any more to the slope) suited to the predicted winds and the site and I fly them all usually. With 3 slopers that probably means 3+ hours flying time. With helis as I can fly them from home most days if the weather is suitable a couple of flights. Thats 30+ minutes flying time.

As I keep a log that amounts to a serious amount of actual flying time in a year and per model.

Regards, Alan

I really like this thread, made me think about the blokes I fly with, and yes, I see all the types mentioned above. I especially like the chap that comes to the field, occasionally with a model heli or plank, he has brand new top of the range gear too, carbon everything including box, but i've never seen him fly. He certainly talks a good flight!

Me on the other hand cram 3 or 4 planes and my raptor in my car and see what I feel like when I get the field. Always try the heli though because it's a new thing for me and i'm really enjoying learning

Ive just built a Boomerang and Ive bought a buddy box so I hope to get some confidence back,depending who is at the field to advice and help me,so it will be th 1 at the moment.1 consulation,The best pilt in the club seems to have as many crashes as me and as you say batcho99 all his gear ,is megga expensive ,as I saw when the remains of the plane fell out of the tree into a stream.When it dried out it warped so he sold it on E bay- thats a bit of a warning isnt it

Normally take 2 planes as that is about the limit to fit in the car (Volvo S40).  Can be a combination of Extra 330 (World Models with an OS 91), Mustang (World Models 60 with an RCV 91), Sebart Angel and a fun fly (South African kit build with a West 36 T1).  Normally the Angel and the Mustang or the Extra and the fun fly.

Try to fit in at least 2 flights with each model taken but busy instructing 2 guys at the moment and time goes so fast with training them and then flying my planes and of course, the obligatory chat with those present.  Mustn't forget the refreshments either.  Always good fun and look forward to Friday flying (live in Dubai) and that is our weekend, only 1 full day off !!!  Back to work on Saturday until Thursday.

Brings back memories from the past ! Myself and my best mate were the Mondeo guys ,We used to turn up with 4/5 models each rammed in the back of the trusty ford and then spend the whole day flying Rain wind or shine . Happy days  

Then i got marrid  Now i am lucky to get a few hours a week   .But i also now have a young lad to teach our great hobby to ,And its a great excuse to go to the model shop to buy HIM all the new gear he needs!! Well thats what i tell the wife anyway .

Could be worse my mate got marrid and ive not seen him since lol

• 2 weeks later...