Warbirds Replicas Tempest - A VLOG

I've just been out to check throws and balance but the rain has started again!  I've finished the painting and will seal it all in with a varnish, I've used Tamiya paints throughout, they spray nicely with an airbrush.  

Here's the underside before the rain stopped play.

I hope that it will fit the same dolly that I made for the FW 190.

IMG_4387.thumb.jpeg.7b1b6ae46f0be688381f1de7c9b0c0a0.jpeg

• Like 6

Advert

1 hour ago, Paul Johnson 4 said:

Funny you should mention that Eric, some 20 years ago I used to work at the Shoeburyness MOD ranges (looking after the RADAR). Whenever any operatives went out on the sands there they found out of all the different colours in grey foggy days a white outfit stood out the most...

Beware of the men in white suits😆

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bucksboy said:

I've just been out to check throws and balance but the rain has started again!  I've finished the painting and will seal it all in with a varnish, I've used Tamiya paints throughout, they spray nicely with an airbrush.  

Here's the underside before the rain stopped play.

I hope that it will fit the same dolly that I made for the FW 190.

IMG_4387.thumb.jpeg.7b1b6ae46f0be688381f1de7c9b0c0a0.jpeg

I will have to modify my dolly as the Tempest doesn't lift off as easy as the 190, I think it is the foam protector, the FW190 has more rounded leading edges and slides up the retaining posts. The Tempest has sharper edges which are lower as the centre section has no dihedral, twice it has lifted of with the dolly which fortunately drops straight away. I was flying it again tonight and lowered the posts which caused it to take off premature, breaking the prop.

I checked mine out on my dolly and it seems to fit OK. The side foam pads could possibly be a bit deeper but I'll see how it goes tomorrow. The good thing about the dolly is that the foam support pads are interchangeable for different models!

Another problem Ron, the hatch on my Tempest is a good fit but blows off on take off if not retained. To avoid elastic bands I  put  a pin through low down and it blew it off taking a piece out of the hatch. During construction I fitted rails to locate the hatch the pin was still in the rail. I also cut a hole in the underside to let the air out. From what I see the incoming air is forced up the ramp of the battery and tray straight to the hatch.

Posted (edited)

I see what you mean Eric. My hatch is 'hinged' with Blenderm and I've used bigger (stronger) magnets but it could still lift off. Maybe it needs a deflector over the top of the battery tray, I'll see if I can fit something tomorrow before the maiden. A hole through F4a and F4 might also help.

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 1

I have just cut 2 pieces of 5mm foamboard to go either side of the battery, it still leaves a bit of room for cooling up the sides of the battery. That should stop the rush of air either side of the battery which looking at mine the battery tray is about 9mm below the top of F3  so the air would be deflected straight up at the hatch whereas the air now will hit the hatch at an angle.

My tray sits on top of F3, it’s back edge aligns with the top of F3 but more importantly the top of the battery and the foam liner sit tight up against F1 so there is not much space for air to go over the battery. Obviously this may prove to be a battery cooling issue but I’ll ‘suck it and see’.

18 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Heavy weathering etc now done (I know it isn't to everyone's taste!), just got to fit the stacks and spray with varnish then on track for maiden tomorrow - the pilot can wait as I haven't finished painting him yet as can painting the spinner!

IMG_8711.thumb.jpeg.0fce2817cd20c4e55fc7d1d0b8d817ab.jpeg

IMG_8712.thumb.jpeg.0288afbfe129b48e75417e84fe30bf59.jpeg

IMG_8713.thumb.jpeg.b462385c8b5930186a880b1ebab471bd.jpeg

Whilst I appreciate the work involved,  would a ww2 plane ever get to that stage of wear? 

Who knows, like I said it won’t be to everyone’s taste but it’s my impression of what I think it would have looked like after months of front line, low level attack duties. But then I do have a vivid imagination!

10 minutes ago, Learner said:

Whilst I appreciate the work involved,  would a ww2 plane ever get to that stage of wear? 

My personal taste is for lightly weathered aeroplanes, with just a suggestion of heavy use. However aeroplanes in WW2 certainly did get rather dirty and battle worn, especially the late war Axis aircraft as paint supplies were running low and of lower quality. The degree of weathering on even quite new Japanese aeroplanes was quite brutal, with paint peeling and chipping all over the airframe, especially in those parts which suffered foot traffic.

This is a picture that has just popped up on my FB feed,  of a 3 Sqn Tempest, taken on 12th June 1944, 80 years ago today and six days after D-Day. Note the amount of wear in just six days on those invasion stripes. 

May be an image of 8 people, aircraft and text

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another well used Tempest, not much paint left on the walk ways.

During the B of B many aeroplanes had a very short life and didn't get weathered unfortunately.

Japanese and aeroplanes serving in the far East were subject to severe weather conditions which would take a toll on the paintwork. 

20240612_092521.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

This is a picture that has just popped up on my FB feed,  of a 3 Sqn Tempest, taken on 12th June 1944, 80 years ago today and six days after D-Day. Note the amount of wear in just six days on those invasion stripes. 

May be an image of 8 people, aircraft and text

So the wear is more from people clambering on it, rather than in flight?