Seagull 98inch Birddog ,Laser 180 ???

Rocker

I now have a spare Laser 180.

Was thinking if buying a Seagull 98inch Birddog .Seagull recommend a 35 to 40cc petrol engine for this model.So thought my Laser 180 engine would be perfect for the Birddog .Now everyone in our flying club think the Laser 180 will be to much for it and say go with a 120 or a 150 size engine .Would really like to put the 180 in it but am told the Laser 180 is to powerful for the Seagull 98 inch Birddog 

Its flying weight is 16 lb

Any advice weather to put a 120/150 Laser or stick with the Laser 180 would be great fully received 

Advert

I have a Balsa USA cub 108 inch with a Laser FT200 in it although the pervious builder did not build it light it should be 18lbs, but I would think mine is more than that. Its a big wing so it copes well and I fly it scale so 1/2 to 3/4 throttle is plenty. !00% in the event of emergency!

You don't want it flying around with it ticking over, but a bit of re-propping it should be ok.

PS when I took the Super Tigre out and put the FT 200 in I add +500g to get back to the C of G so the additional weight of the 180 will only help in that respect

PPS I would fit the 180 and bear in mind fitting a 155 as a re-engine option during the install, that way if the 180 is too much it should just be a swap out to get to to scale performance.

Its tricky as i recommended a 100 for a customers 96 inch cub and it flew fine at half throttle. The bird dog will be draggier though i suspect and a good bit heavier. 

you could go for the 180 side mounted with a 20x6 prop

it will be over powered flat out but will also waft along effortlessly at half throttle. If you had a spare 155 it would likely do, but you havent so use the 180.

As Chris says, if you find it is too much swap it for something smaller. Its only an engine mount change provided you didnt mutilate the cowl. 

Posted (edited)

With the Seagull 98 inch Bird dog being over £500 .Think the Laser 180 might be to powerfully for the Bird dog .So do not want to buy the model only to find the Laser 180 to powerfully for it 

Do not really want to buy the Bird dog and a another engine .Might just put the Laser 180 in the draw for the time being 

Not really sure what would suit the Laser 180 that is available at the moment Shame the Wots Wot XL is discontinued, that was perfect for the Laser 180 😒

Edited by Rocker

I would heed Jon’s advice and put it in

I have an Apache/SLEC Chipmunk (about 80in wingspan) with a laser 180 which probably should have a 150 size but it’s great with the 180 and cruises beautifully at half throttle. I don’t find having too much engine any problem at all . 

The 180 is such a nice engine and throttles so well it’s too good to leave in a box! Power wise the 180 is the equivalent of a good 30cc petrol 2stroke but it sounds way better .  

Edited by Tim Flyer

I should qualify my equivalence comment as there are a number of 30cc 2strokes that have a lot more power than the Laser 180 . So it’s not an easy comparison. It probably fits between 25and 30cc 2stroke equivalent but there are huge differences in different engines and exhaust system combinations . Propeller size and rpm are the only real test. 

Edited by Tim Flyer