Jump to content

Sign of the times - funnies * Remember this is a family friendly forum and inappropriate postings will be removed without warning.


ken anderson.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Brian Cooper said:

I fell asleep in my chair this morning. When I woke up someone had put a teabag in my mouth.

 

I'm not happy.

 

I hate being taken for a mug.

Could be worse, an old work colleague (now deceased) once told me of the time when he was in the RAF, he fell asleep in the mess room and someone emptied an ashtray into his mouth 😑.

Edited by EvilC57
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Advert


9 minutes ago, EvilC57 said:

Could be worse, an old work colleague (now deceased) once told me of the time when he was in the RAF, he fell asleep in the mess room and someone emptied an ashtray into his mouth 😑.

When did the RAF ever allow smoking in the mess? I don't think they would even allow that in the officers mess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Peter Miller said:

When did the RAF ever allow smoking in the mess? I don't think they would even allow that in the officers mess.

I don’t know, but as far as I recall he was in between 1959 and 1981. I know he went to Guam for two years unaccompanied posting, and also worked as Hercules ground crew, ending up as a sergeant I believe.

 

He also used to tell the story of how in Guam the C-130 crews used to take delight in flying along the beach waterlines at about 30ft and watching the locals dive for cover. Until one day when some of their own were on the beach for some R&R, and one of their fellow crews unknowingly did the same to them. The order to desist went around after it was realised that being on the receiving end of a Hercules at 30ft is somewhat terrifying!  As to the veracity of this and his other stories, most were told to me over 30 years ago, and I can neither confirm nor deny the amount of ‘embroidery’ there may have been in his tales.

Edited by EvilC57
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/06/2024 at 18:35, Geoff Copping said:

We have a bbq tomorrow.

I've just been to get disposables.

Paper plates, wrapped in plastic.

Paper cups, wrapped in plastic.

Paper bowls, wrapped in plastic.

Paper straws, wrapped in plastic.

"Do you have any plastic cutlery please"?

"Sorry, we're not allowed to sell it"

"Do you have any bamboo cutlery please"?

"Sorry, we don't stock it".

Update,

As I'd not been too keen on the plastic handled cutlery we had then we decided to buy some new stainless steel cutlery.

A 16 piece set. Each piece was wrapped in an individual plastic bag.

 

oh well, it was a cardboard box, with a plastic window.

 

Yes, I did pay for it on plastic🙃🙄

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Geoff Copping said:

Update,

As I'd not been too keen on the plastic handled cutlery we had then we decided to buy some new stainless steel cutlery.

A 16 piece set. Each piece was wrapped in an individual plastic bag.

 

oh well, it was a cardboard box, with a plastic window.

 

Yes, I did pay for it on plastic🙃🙄

 

Were the "plastic" bags actually plastic ? Or could they have been cellophane which is bio-degradable though probably only a little more ecofriendly than plastic ?

Edited by PatMc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cellophane is made from organic material, but the process of making it requires carbon disulfied.

A friend lived next to a factory making cellophane.  I visited in the early 80's,and when the wind came from the direction of the factory the pong was just about all the things you can say of a bad smell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, J D 8 said:

Cellophane is made from organic material, but the process of making it requires carbon disulfied.

A friend lived next to a factory making cellophane.  I visited in the early 80's,and when the wind came from the direction of the factory the pong was just about all the things you can say of a bad smell.

We always used to notice the pong when we drove past Bridgwater on the M5. I think the cellophane factory has now closed though. Maybe not so good for employment in Bridgwater, but at least the pong has gone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only local factory that we had did flavours and fragrances. With the wind in the right direction the village was treated to the scent of curry!  I worked in the factory

And this to bring modelling into it. They had a department that produced perfume and talcum powder for the Sudan under the name "Bint el Sudan" (Gospel truth)

 

I had a control line Piper Pawnee that could do actual dusting. Our C/L club put on a display at our village fete and I demonstrated this.

Back at work the next day and people kept coming up to me and saying  "We know where you got your dusting powder from!!!"

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EvilC57 said:

We always used to notice the pong when we drove past Bridgwater on the M5. I think the cellophane factory has now closed though. Maybe not so good for employment in Bridgwater, but at least the pong has gone.

 Yep, that is where my friend lived at the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

When did the RAF ever allow smoking in the mess? I don't think they would even allow that in the officers mess.

 

I was never in the armed services but I was in the Naval Section of the school's CCF back in the early 1950s (hoping to get in the Navy for National Service but it ended before I was called up).  We went for 'week-long camps' on warships in the holidays and we stayed on mess decks, sleeping in hammocks.  Everyone smoked - including we teens, partly because cigarettes were only 1/- (5p) for  20.  Pleased to say I eventually gave up, but smoking below decks was the norm.  The grog store was below our mess deck but we were classed as underage and so didn't benefit from a tot 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

A popular saying when haggling for a second hand car was '' its rusted off its wheels ''

So that’s what people mean when they say I’ll run that car into the ground before I sell it!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...