STOL MkII

Dave S.

Thanks, good to be back. I'll run a measure over my plans later - I have to go out soon.

I bought some sheet balsa when I first read that it was going to be in short supply, hopefully there's a STOL's worth in there.

The fuselage and tail surfaces are mainly strip, fuselage is 3/16 square, I think the tail and fin, etc. are 1/8x1/4, but that's from memory and it's been a while since I last looked at the plan.

I have a couple (at least!) of projects on the go at the moment, and a few kits I have recently stockpiled, but as I have wanted to build a STOL since the Mk 1 was published in 1972, I'd better get my act together fairly soon! It's a shame about the one in my last build thread, it was coming together very nicely, almost ready to cover when life fell apart. It happens!

Just measured the span, I have the plan I built the previous one on, and for some reason, a later one as well, but both are the same size, 55" wingspan.

Just ordered the strip wood that I need, so this will be another one to add to my list of winter projects. The original wing is quite complex with various bellcranks for the flaps & ailerons, but I think I'll just use 4 small servos. This model will be electric powered (as the last one was destined to be) and I think I have a similar motor to the one in the build thread - if not, they are easily available.

I won't be starting this for a few weeks at least, but I am determined to get one in the air before the 50th anniversary of the Mk1's publication!

I've spent the last couple of hours reading through the various STOL threads on here, including the debate about the wingspan.

I am fairly certain that I bought my STOL Mk II plan soon after it was published in 1983, and the wingspan on the plan is definitely 55", and it is staled to be that on the plan. I also have a more recent plan (much poorer print quality - I have no memory of where I got it, so it might be a copy of a legit plan), but the dimensions match those of my 1983 plan.

How the wingspan came to be changed is a mystery but the original plan has 48 inch printed on the plan (at top left) and the Model Airplane News 1974 article has 48 inch in the text as well as on the plan. All on Outerzone now. ( worth looking at Outerzone for lots of other stuff too - lots have been put there since 2009 including books and magazines )

Not really worth discussing the wingspan anymore except that anyone else building from the plan should check the wingspan and power the model accordingly.

It's always seemed to me that the STOL could benefit from a slimmer & sleeker lower fuselage......

I also discovered Outerzone a while ago - I have a good collection of plans downloaded to keep me busy for years to come!

The fuselage could certainly be quite a bit slimmer and lower, but then the STOL would lose an essential part of its character. Looking back over this thread, I see that I compared the uncovered fuselage to a double decker bus. Cover it in red, add an open platform behind the wing and a set of stairs up to the top deck and you'd have the original airbus!

• 3 months later...