Young fliers

Matthew Gray

Hello Matt, I`m not young well not to you anyway.I just like to say it`s good to hear of some young blood starting out in the hobby.I`ve been flying now for almost 30 yrs and am still just as keen.It`s great the way r/c gear has changed over the years,I`m not so sure about ARTF`s I guess I`m just an old stick in the mud.Well Matt I hope somebody takes you on and teach you well.Best advice,join a club, you`ll be amaized. Good luck and happy landings.
Colin.

Thanks colin. I have been up to my club a few times already. I am ordering my trainer in the next week or so and then i am going to start lessons at the club. I quite fancy building kits in the futre as artfs you havnt built yourself and you cant show off your work.

hi Matt, im james laurel and im 14, i have been flying for 3 years and its super just stick with it and dont give up also dont be put off by some one flying a 1/4 scale or a 3D, it wont be long before you can do it to.

good luck from James laurel

Hi im Ethan (Shaun's son) Im quite new at flying and thought i would leave a Message. As my dad said i am on a high wing trainer at the mo. But have a little electric tucano.And as he said i love sea furys to + Tempest's are alot like sea furys so if i have to i will get one of them.

Asim, how big (wingspan) is the cub and has it got a full throttle control.Asumeing it`s a decent size with throttle control, line up into wind about 150 yrds out and about 40-50 ft high at about half power, gradualy closing down the power the model will lose height(asuming model is trimed to straight and level) use the power to control the height and elevator to hold the nose up,keep the wings level and flair out at the last moment.
Good luck.
Colin.

Hey matthew im Angus and im 16. Bin flyin since about eleven on and off. I used to fly gliders with my dad a lot in the hills. (I live in scotland) No club or training just chucked it hoped for the best : ) I went through times where i didnt fly for ages, usualy due to a crash. But now I have started flying powered at a local club with a proper instructer and my flying has vastly improved. I recently gained my bronze award. (Equivilent to A certificate) So you are doing the right thing by joining a club. Im currently building a db sport and scale piper cub which is 1/5 scale so is quite big! It will be my first scale model. I recommend building as it is great fun and really rewarding! Good luck with the hobby! Im sure you will become addicted like me!

hi im 15 just started out with model flying (started with a car about 2-3 years ago,becasue i didnt want to crash alot) got a tiger trainer .40 that ive built( constructed really) and im trying to find a club that will teach me to fly.

Hi, I am 15 (16 in July) and I started last year and got my 'A' cert on my 21st flight. Trained on a Thunder tiger trainer 40 with a TT42 engine. Put a TT 46 pro in and added bigger flaps and is a perfect stunt plane and good for rough days. Also got a Hanger 9 Ultra stick with Irvine 56 in it.

happy flying Stephen

hi i just fall under this age catagory! i started flyin this summer but i have a second hand high wing trainer which has a dodgy nose wheel. After getting the engine running perfectly i took it to a freshly cut field for a test flight. then the nose wheel broke off so i eventually got it fixed untill i came to put the engine mounts back on when i discovered the nuts must be screwed on down in the nose behind the fuel tank!! any hints on how get the mounts screwed on?

• 2 weeks later...
If your trainer has a firewall you could install some new captive nuts and steel bolts to attach the existing mount or get a new one and use a similar method.
you say you took the model to "a freshly cut field" for your test flight! I presume this means you aren't a member of a club and are trying to "go it alone."
when i started out flying (about 3 years ago)I flew a Ripmax Aerobird at the local park. Looking back, i can see how dangerous this could have been without any instruction. If you aren't already, get insured with the BMFA and preferably join a club. Our club has a great training programme and i'm sur other clubs do too. Try the BMFA website (www.bmfa.org) to find a club in your area.
If you are a member of a club - sorry for the essay!
Jonathan L