Galaxy Models Twin Hornet

3 hours ago, Nigel R said:

That's the exact opposite of what you need on the starboard engine... you want port dead ahead and starboard with about three or four degrees right thrust. Or, dead ahead for both, as Jon says.

Overall its looking good. Very tight in the tank bay with the servo!

Thans Nigel, really appreciated.  I've already changed it to dead ahead this afternoon, just pondering now whether to cover the wing or finish fitting out the fuselage first.  I might have a glass of wine to help with the decision process!

Good weather in God's own country today, so time to maiden the Twin Hornet.

I spent a bit of time getting the engines more or less synchronised, or near enough.

Did a bit of taxiing to make sure it steered nicely and then attempted a take-off which didn't get off the ground. The grass on our field is quite long and I couldn't build up enough speed. 

I took a longer run for the next attempt and she took to the skies. The flight was somewhat scary, far too much elevator and aileron throw, even on the minimum rates, and it needed lots of up-elevator trim, but, it flew, the engines ran well and I got it down in one piece!

After some adjustment to the rates (I'll make physical changes later) I had a couple more extended flights which went well.

It's too early to give a definitive opinion but it looks promising. The twin four-strokes sound great, have plenty of power and the plane looks good in the air.

Here's photo taken after the maiden - no video unfortunately - maybe next time.

561646453_TwinHornetaftermaidenflight.thumb.JPG.569fbf2e2de109a217da29ecf1cdeeb6.JPG

GDB

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Caveman said:

Good weather in God's own country today, so time to maiden the Twin Hornet.

I spent a bit of time getting the engines more or less synchronised, or near enough.

Did a bit of taxiing to make sure it steered nicely and then attempted a take-off which didn't get off the ground. The grass on our field is quite long and I couldn't build up enough speed. 

I took a longer run for the next attempt and she took to the skies. The flight was somewhat scary, far too much elevator and aileron throw, even on the minimum rates, and it needed lots of up-elevator trim, but, it flew, the engines ran well and I got it down in one piece!

After some adjustment to the rates (I'll make physical changes later) I had a couple more extended flights which went well.

It's too early to give a definitive opinion but it looks promising. The twin four-strokes sound great, have plenty of power and the plane looks good in the air.

Here's photo taken after the maiden - no video unfortunately - maybe next time.

561646453_TwinHornetaftermaidenflight.thumb.JPG.569fbf2e2de109a217da29ecf1cdeeb6.JPG

GDB

Hi Caveman.  I’m pleased the flight went well, despite the hairiness, back on the ground in one piece is always a good outcome in my books.  Can I ask if you used the control throws per the build plans, I’m guessing you did, but I’ll probably reduce them on my twin hornet for the 1st flight and given your experience here, I do tend to prefer a more docile aeroplane?  Can I ask also where your colour scheme came from?  I ask everyone seems to do it differently, I usually go for black/yellow contrast as a habit from my first build.  Thanks, M

Confession time, no I didn’t set the throws as per the plan/instructions. I set three rates, but even the lowest rate was too much. This afternoon I changed the hole positions for the clevises to reduce the throws - I’ll fine tune them at the field.

I’ve also reset the geometry of the carb arms and throttle servos as I realised that the barrels weren’t fully opening - it’s possible I wasn’t getting full power.

The colour scheme is straight from my head. Most of my own build planes have been based on white, red and black, so I thought a white and two blues scheme would make a change. However, I’m not sure it’s the best for visibility, but it’s a bit late the change it now - the only other option is a re-cover which I don’t fancy doing.

GDB

13 hours ago, Marc Roberts said:

How about a Tony Nijhuis Wellington John …… that’d fit the bill! 😀

A customer has one with a pair of laser 180's in it. Alas, i need more space for a beast like that. 

Its more likely i will swipe the old pilot twin ace kit from the loft at my parents place. That or modify a galaxy mystic two twin engines. All that said, i am likely going to scrap my current twin as i am totally out of space and its the tattiest/most disposable of all my models. 

On 13/10/2022 at 08:52, Jon - Laser Engines said:

A customer has one with a pair of laser 180's in it. Alas, i need more space for a beast like that. 

Its more likely i will swipe the old pilot twin ace kit from the loft at my parents place. That or modify a galaxy mystic two twin engines. All that said, i am likely going to scrap my current twin as i am totally out of space and its the tattiest/most disposable of all my models. 

Hi Jon, I've seen the one with the laser 180s in it, its sounds smashing!

I had a bit of free time so went to Buckminster this afternoon for the swap meet, there was plenty on offer, but I didn't spot many twins.  I did bag a parkfly umx mosquito in new condition for chucking in the car boot when I'm on trips away though!  I've got the space for building my Wellington in the garage, but currently its being used as building storage so am having to wait until I've finished renovating Mrs Roberts kitchen before I can start building it!

How long has the twin ace been up the loft, quite a while!?

On 12/10/2022 at 20:21, Caveman said:

Confession time, no I didn’t set the throws as per the plan/instructions. I set three rates, but even the lowest rate was too much. This afternoon I changed the hole positions for the clevises to reduce the throws - I’ll fine tune them at the field.

I’ve also reset the geometry of the carb arms and throttle servos as I realised that the barrels weren’t fully opening - it’s possible I wasn’t getting full power.

The colour scheme is straight from my head. Most of my own build planes have been based on white, red and black, so I thought a white and two blues scheme would make a change. However, I’m not sure it’s the best for visibility, but it’s a bit late the change it now - the only other option is a re-cover which I don’t fancy doing.

GDB

Thanks Caveman, I'll probably go for the recommended rates on full, and set 2/3rd of recommended for half rates form the feedback.  I'm glad the second flights weren't as hairy.  I flew a second hand 90" Astro Hog last year and hadn't realised quite how warped the left-hand wing was but was glad somebody was on hand to reach over and trim it to starboard for me whilst I held the stick full right ...... good fun though!  Its spent 4 weeks this summer with the wing twisted and clamped in the utility room, so hopefully the result will be a slightly better flight .. fingers crossed!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody.  A quick update on my Twin Horney build.  I've spent a few days on it over the last week, and pretty much fitted out the fuselage interior, with a few pictures below showing what I've done.  I think they might be useful to anybody thinking of building as the plans are pretty thin on the interior layout, and it's quite tight to route everything if you're using standard size servos, especially making sure the wing mounted aileron servo runs don't clash with the other servo runs.  I'll be skinning the underside latIMG_2084.thumb.JPG.c6b2e0dd93c7d895de833487fbf5a25d.JPGIMG_2082.thumb.JPG.f4de72f2229108e00c69f25e62631d6f.JPGIMG_2083.thumb.JPG.9ae2ac01f9ff61f8faa2f493aa3e4c64.JPGIMG_2086.thumb.JPG.8518ea590cf7701444d24161e279054e.JPGIMG_2085.thumb.JPG.d7f402a26ca78c6600f2997f2e5ebf44.JPGIMG_2066.thumb.jpg.1432d4a0650f006fc1bc179cb7706746.jpger tonight, then hopefully prepping and covering with nylon next week.

1 hour ago, Chris Walby said:

Only my opinion, but I wouldn't put the RX so close to the servos. As far away as the servo leads will allow would probably do 👍

Thanks Chris.  I’m with you, it’s just a bit limited with space, and I won’t be able to get my chubby digits through the bulkhead cut-out once the lower skin is in.  I’ll have a go at getting it further forward though!  Cheers, Marc

Hi Marc, I used smaller servos.

This is my layout. The 4 cell Nihm battery is in the forward space behind the nose wheel and it balances perfectly without any additional weight.

2E3D6FE2-AF1A-4BD1-AEF3-4B5A21415293.thumb.jpeg.9cbac29cb06be52932266066039166f4.jpeg

Incidentally, there are some parts, no.44, which fit onto the ‘firewall’, which take the screws for the nosecone. I missed that and sanded the front of the fuselage so that nosecone slid over fuselage and the screws screw into the firewall. If you look at the above photo you’ll see what I mean. I only mention it just in case you’ve missed it too. Otherwise ignore me!

Is there not plenty of room for your receiver where my rearmost servo is fitted?

Keep up the good work and keep posting, GDB

13 hours ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Meal looks rather tasty, we have list of what's there ? 👨‍🍳

Aha! I dragged that in accidentally!  It was defo not of my making, but a recommendation for dinner when I was at Rolls Royce Derby the other week and I had to send a photo to my compadres when I saw it.  Here we have a rare sirloin, pepper sauce, prawn (I've never seen one like that before!), tomatoes, caramelised shallots, sweet potato fries, and a side salad.  It was great, but alas the heartburn later was not! 80)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nigel R said:

Looking good Marc.

Have you glued in the snakes yet?

Thanks Nigel.  Yes, I've epxoied the outers, and threaded and thread locked the end fittings into the inners.  Hopefully it'll be OK!  I skinned the underside last night, so hopefully sanding that back tonight!

1 hour ago, Caveman said:

Hi Marc, I used smaller servos.

This is my layout. The 4 cell Nihm battery is in the forward space behind the nose wheel and it balances perfectly without any additional weight.

2E3D6FE2-AF1A-4BD1-AEF3-4B5A21415293.thumb.jpeg.9cbac29cb06be52932266066039166f4.jpeg

Incidentally, there are some parts, no.44, which fit onto the ‘firewall’, which take the screws for the nosecone. I missed that and sanded the front of the fuselage so that nosecone slid over fuselage and the screws screw into the firewall. If you look at the above photo you’ll see what I mean. I only mention it just in case you’ve missed it too. Otherwise ignore me!

Is there not plenty of room for your receiver where my rearmost servo is fitted?

Keep up the good work and keep posting, GDB

Hi Caveman, that's looking very neat and tidy!  I 'ummed and ah'd' about standard or smaller servos for ages but went for the bigger ones in the and on the toss of a coin.  I will try to put the receiver on the cockpit rear bulkhead after all the good feedback, it should be straight forward with a few extension leads made up maybe (I need to get the tools out and make some up for the wing  anyway)!  I was originally thinking of putting the servos up there but moved them towards and forward of the Cof G after other comments I'd seen about tail heaviness.  I clocked your comments on the nose cone blocks a few posts ago, its appreciated, and I dug out the parts form the box last night to have a look at.  Cheers, Marc

18 hours ago, Marc Roberts said:

Hi everybody.  A quick update on my Twin Horney build.  I've spent a few days on it over the last week, and pretty much fitted out the fuselage interior, with a few pictures below showing what I've done.  I think they might be useful to anybody thinking of building as the plans are pretty thin on the interior layout, and it's quite tight to route everything if you're using standard size servos, especially making sure the wing mounted aileron servo runs don't clash with the other servo runs.  I'll be skinning the underside latIMG_2084.thumb.JPG.c6b2e0dd93c7d895de833487fbf5a25d.JPGIMG_2082.thumb.JPG.f4de72f2229108e00c69f25e62631d6f.JPGIMG_2083.thumb.JPG.9ae2ac01f9ff61f8faa2f493aa3e4c64.JPGIMG_2086.thumb.JPG.8518ea590cf7701444d24161e279054e.JPGIMG_2085.thumb.JPG.d7f402a26ca78c6600f2997f2e5ebf44.JPGIMG_2066.thumb.jpg.1432d4a0650f006fc1bc179cb7706746.jpger tonight, then hopefully prepping and covering with nylon next week.

• 1 month later...

Blimey, I can't believe it's over a month since I last posted, it has been a busy one and time has flown by!  I have managed to do some work on the twin hornet, per the piccies below.  The fuselage and tail construction are now finished, it was pretty straight forward, and I thought I'd do a quick mock-up before I finished stripping it in prep for covering.  I've also spent a peaceful hour tonight filling all the dinks before starting to fit the nylon covering, hopefully later in the week.  I was struggling to find a suitable figure for the cockpit, but a friend came to the rescue and 3D printed the hornet you can see in the pictures, he should look great when painted.  I have a couple of weeks free time over the Christmas break, so hopefully I can progress the model without too much nagging from Mrs Roberts!  Have you started another twin yet Jon!?IMG_2124.thumb.jpg.3a9b641decddb13905a416e428b58890.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2123.jpg

• Like 1