The Mode Survey - what do you fly?

Hi,

OK as a research engineer I suffer from overpowering curiosity. The recent discussions on what mode people fly have brought up some questions in my mind.

Question 1: It's said that Mode 1 and Mode 2 are approximately equally used. Is that true?

Question 2: It's sometimes claimed that there is a "North/South" divide regarding mode usage - with mode 1 being more popular in the North. Is that true?

Well lets find out. There are about 20-30,000 RC flyers in the UK (I think) so if we could get a sample response on here of about 200 then, (assuming its a fairly random sample) then we should be able to find the answers with reasonable accuracy.

So here's the survey...answer the following 4 questions;

1. What mode do you fly? If you can fly more than one just give the one that you are most "at home" with.

2. What region do you do most of your current flying in?

3. What region did you learn to fly in?

4. Did you learn from an instructor (even if informally), or were you self taught?

Now remember, this isn't about which mode is "best" or why you fly the one you do, or the wonderful spiritual experience your great aunt Hettie had whilst flying mode 4  Let's just stick to the questions and see if we can get an answer.

I reckon that there are about 100+ regular contrubutors on this forum but over 10,000 members, so we will need a some of you who don't contribute regularly to take part in this one please. The more people who respond the more accurate the result.

Happy surveying....

BEB.

Hi,

I fly Mode 1,
I live in the Midlands
Learnt in the Midlands
Self taught.

I fly Mode 1 because that was the mode of the first 5 channel (Futaba 5lk 27mhz) & not because of any percieved advantages of either. I can fly other modes equally badly.

I can see this thread degenerating into a 'which is best/most realistic' etc. before too long!!

Cheers!
Mark L

OK guys as Mark has said its already at the "why" stage! Other threads have done that - and Timbo's right its a pretty fruitless argument. So let's stick to just the facts please.

One point of clarification - can we keep it to "fixed wing" at the moment. We could do Helis separately if there is interest. But including them at this stage might distort the result!

BEB

1. Mode 2
2. East Midlands (Derby)
3. South Cheshire (NW)
4. Instructor at SCRCS - thanks to Gordon Canavan!

Was taught to fly the basics on a Ben Buckle Red Zephyr many moons ago now and my first rudder and elevator stick inputs were Mode 2, thats the way my tutor flew so thats the way I carried on...

Edited By Phil Cooke on 05/01/2010 11:14:23

Edited By Phil Cooke on 05/01/2010 11:19:51

I fly the mode where my Spectrum gear tells me where to put the connections apart from I cant steer on the ground with my left thumb so I take off on aileron rudder mix,so I dont know what mode I am,hows that Im Hampshire,being taught by an Instructor who disapproves of the way I take off anyway

Edited By Stephen Grigg on 05/01/2010 13:28:46

Mode 2 is by far the most accepted in the UK,  dont know about the rest of the world,  i fly Mode 1, was taught in a Mode 1 club (Oldham MAC)  BUT, i have moved clubs, (Bury Metro)10 miles away, and they fly Mode 2,    Hmmmm        i also, after having a mode 2 trainer thrust at me in a emergancy, and doing more damage than he would, taught myself to fly both,       But i really think you would be surprised at how many are Mode2,