I.c convertion

Advert

The improvements in cells does not include them increasing their voltage - they are still 3.7V nominal. If the original conversion used 6s thats 6 X 3.7 = 22V. If you use 5s thats only 18.5V NOMINAL.
Now I know that the higher C rate packs available today SHOULD hold their volts better under load than the lower rated, early gen cells, but now assume this if you will, just for a minute.....
lets say the old 6s packs held only 3.3V per cell under load, that makes almost 20V for the 6s pack. Now assume the better cells of today hold say 3.5V - thats 5 X 3.5 = 17.5V.
Further assumptions now, as I dont have the figures to hand, but lets say the current on the particular motor prop combo was 30A.
The old pack combo therefore had a power input of 600Watts(20V X 30A)
Your proposal of 5 cells on the same combo gives only 525 Watts
( 17.5V X 30A ) - over 12% less!
Personally I would stick with 6S, and accept the fact that the higher C rate packs of today will result in a slightly better wattage,( 630Watts ) AND will have a longer life because you will only be pushing them to a small degree, compared to the old 10C jobbies. Nothing worse than an underpowered electric plane, and the best way to get the power up is with more volts not just more anmps.

• 1 year later...
If you are planning on using 3s Lipo for 600watts then your current draw will be very high
( 600 /10.5 = 57A ) so dont expect long flights! You will need very high capacity packs.
If you MUST use 3s packs then you will probably need the 1100 Kv motors in order to get even close to 57A, and even then you will need a high pitch.
Why not use the 2 batteries in series as one 6s pack?
  That way, you could maybe use the lower Kv motors ......and for the 1000 watts or so that you need, you would only be at 46A or so. What capacity batteries are you planning, and just exactly how much experience and knowledge of electric powertrains do you have ?

Hi Alan. You can run both motors off the one 6s battery ( but use 2 x ESCs ) and this will increase the RPM considerably of the motor. However, both motors in parallel will draw twice as much current as one motor on one battery each. They are quite large capacity though at 4Ahr each, and with a 20C rating they are good for around 80Amp maximum.
The problem with using a battery for each motor is that one battery could easily run down a little more than the other, causing the ESC to shutdown the motor - never nice on a twin, so personally I would use one large battery to feed both ESC and motors.
TBH 3s is a little low on volts for 1000+ watts. If you join 2 in series, that will give you around 21 Volts (under load ) and for 1000 watts from 21V you will be pulling 47A....which is do-able off the 4000 mahr packs. Remember of course that doubling the voltage by connecting in series does NOT double the capacity - or C rate - of the packs. HTH