Intro-vert

Cpt Biggles

Advert

Hi, I have started to build one too, planning to go with the outdoor wing.  Never built from a plan before so it's all new to me.  Bought three sheets of depron as required and will have loads left over, I even wondered about scaling the intro-vert up.

Tail plane and fin is currently at the glue stage.

Electrics next,  need to do some web shopping.

Hi Mark,
I was begining to think that I was the only one building the Intro-vert, I have been building models from plans since 1950's and I still get it wrong sometimes. I have 4 Depron models built now I got intrested in foam models when I moved into electric power from IC.
There are lots of free plans on the net some with build vidios which will be very useful to getting build experiance if you would like i could point you to some intresting web sites the last foam plane I built was a Simplitious a delta style useing 3 mm depron ends up very rigid and very strong and flies great. look here hope you get along well with your build and happy hunting on the web for your electrics.
regards
Peter

Hi Mark,
If you want a better responce to your battery conector question it would be better to start a new thread because this thread will not get that many hits.
I use gold bullet conectors and buy them in multi packs from Giant cod but at the flying field others use all sorts of conectors I think a popular one is called Deans conectors but I have heard that they take some pulling to seperate.
If you start a new thead I will watch to see what others say.
regards Peter

Just finished my outdoor only Intro-Vert. Used 6mm depron with carbon spar for wing and 3mm for everything else. Went with HK 10 gram motor and plush 10 amp ESC. Will run a 360 MAh 2 cell and GWS 5x4.3 prop. Servos - 5gr HK HXT500 for ailerons and smaller one for elevator & Corona 4 ch 35 meg RX. Covered with Staples red and yellow packing tape brought the ready to fly weight up to 114 grams! Well, at least the extra motors grunt and weight should enable me to fly in some wind. Hope to maiden today & will endevour to shoot some hatcam footage which I'll post.

Wish me luck
Head

Edited By Andy Horsman on 21/03/2010 08:04:11

Just back from my local park. She's a keeper as glad to report that maiden went very well. Even though my horizontal stab is not exactly level it didn't need any trimming! Very aerobatic but would need rudder for prop hanging and KE. Stall is non event & looks like my TLAR down thrust is spot on. This is one ideal plane to pack away to take on your hols.Looking forward to a bit of wind to see how she fairs. Youtube video is uploading as I type - just look under "heady2008" or I may have attached. Quality does not do justice to the original vid quality!
Head

Well the weather this afternoon co-operated with 15-20 mph winds. What had,  this morning, been a steady climb out at WOT became a 70 deg climb with a handful of down needed to keep her on course. Flyable, if your used to the wind, but I'd prefer my Simple Delta or even my M-ofo in those conditions.
I'm now going to try to post the link to the Youtube vid taken in calmer conditions this a.m. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSrJqjtoPTU
Head

hi Andy,
It looks good and flys great.
The build of my plane is on temp hold domestic jobs have pulled rank! hope to get back to it later this week.
I have done the indoor aileron wing with carbon  spar i had some carbon spar left so put a short lenght (1 inch) in the finit has made the fin very ridgid, will install radio & motor next will test fly by the end of the week.
I tend to finish foam models with air brushed acrilic pain from Wilkinsons hardwear I am wondering how the finish compairs with tape and what the differance in weight there is? not a lot in it I suppose.
nice to see yours flying
Peter

Hi guys
glad I'm not the only one building one of these! You will really enjoy the way this flys. Very aerobatic but also stable.
Mark - I reckon you could make the rear fin removable for packing for some holiday action. Did you go fro the 5 or 10 gram motor?
Capt B - I went with packing tape for extra strength as this is my 1st build using 3 mm depron and the way I fly, my planes need it!
I found I needed to cut a slot in the bulkhead between the under wing area and forward ESC compartment to allow the lipo to move forward to achieve correct c of g. Battery access is no problem as I cut out a panel between the underwing bulkheads. Hinged at rear edge with front held by washer on hatch & small magnet epoxyied to depron shelf.
The success of this build has inspired me to attempt a full fuse WW2 style low wing model such as the FW190 or P-51 using ideas from this forum thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724566&pp=50
Andy

I built one of these with the indoor non-aileron wing and had my maiden flight at our club's indoor meeting on Tuesday. Weight was a little heavy at 95g and it needed a lot of speed (by indoor standards) to stay airborne, eventually leading to collision with the gym wall and a broken prop . I added a wire u/c and only had a 340 mah battery both adding to the weight.. It tends to dive while turning so I will mix in some elevator before my next flight. I have some 180 mah batteries coming from robotbirds so that should reduce the weight. I'm building the indoor aileron wing and will try that out next week.

Hw nooooo!
Finished the building, but I can not get my RX in the fuz even with the plastic case off it's still to big to go in I need the fuz to be 1-2mm more wider. That will teach me to check that all will fit before starting. I may just leave the canapy off and test fly with the RX sticking out the top just so it's not a compleate waste of time. I suppose I could put a "power bulge" in the fuz so that I could shoe horn the RX in. Mmmm we will see.

• 1 month later...
Found it!! for some reason I thought the plan came out before Christmas so I was looking for the March 2009 issue, I had already browsed the magazine archive for the last two years without finding it. Anyway the magazine was 'safe' on the coffee table with a few other mags of mine, the plan was safe inside. Might order the gear next week!

Jon

Hi Jon,
As you can see from my postings I made the plane as plan and I could not get my RX in! but I rebiult the fuz 2mm wider and it flies great IN THE CALM!!!!! it gets very lively in more than a gental breeze.
I built the indoor al wing but it flys to fast for th indoor site that I use so I fly it outside on my regular site. I would sugest that you put tape along the leading edge of the wing to give it some ding resistance.

Mornin John
I went for the 6MM outdoor wing glued in place. Also overpowered mine with the HK 10 gram motor powered by 2 cell 360 MAh lipo. A corona 4 ch RX from Giantcod slipped in no problem behind the angled bulkhead aft of  the wing. Whilst I do prefer to fly mine in sub 10 mph winds, it has flown in gusty 20 mph conditions. A bit of a handful but still good fun if your experienced enough.
Andy

• 1 month later...
Hi Guys,

I have started building one of these.  Main reason for picking this on is to make use of a motor I bought from HC a while ago. I am building the outdoor version.  The motor weighs 15 grams with everything (prop saver etc).

I have a question though.  The prop for the motor I want to use is bigger than the norm for the Intravert at 7 x 4 inches.

Any opinions on whether or not this will induce torque rolls on launch or in flight? I am not sure of the physics involved in terms of the relationship between pitch and prop diameter and resulting torque.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited By Michael Robey on 11/07/2010 02:02:00

Hi Mike

with props you have a choice of 2 routes for similar amp draw. Large prop with fine pitch will give more thrust/torque but slower air speed (3D,Trainers etc),smaller prop less thrust but higher air speed(sports,pylon racers,flying wings etc) More thrust can make it easier to launch the model (my EPP Yak 55 will launch in high alpha at less than WOT)but you have, as you state, the problem with torque reaction. Try launching at less than 100% power provided  the plane feels that it's tugging away from your hand. Don't gun it until you have some air speed and height and if posible maiden with a friend launching over long grass.Low rates and lots of expo until you have trimmed it as the Into-vert is an aerobatic little plane - great fun and will handle some wind.>>

Depending on your all up weight, you might find that a smaller prop will still fly the plane with authority. Make sure you use the O ring style prop adapter to save those big props from breaking.>>

Andy>>

Posted by Andy Horsman on 12/07/2010 21:00:45:
Hi Mike

with props you have a choice of 2 routes for similar amp draw. Large prop with ....>>

Andy>>

Thanks Andy,

That answers my questions.  I think I'll try the prop I have ordered and, as you suggest, launch on say half throttle and then feel it out from there.  I doubt I'll get mine down to 85 grams in fact if I can keep it under 100 I'll be happy.  I have the wings cut and sanded to shape and will be starting on the rest soon.  I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

Thanks for the help.

Edited By Michael Robey on 13/07/2010 10:14:52