Aidan

I've just aquired a Priory 72" electric Lancaster kit with basic 4x 380 brushed motors.

I want to keep to a very simple build for weight purposes ( no rudders to start with anyway for now ) so just throtle , ailerons and elevator - also a belly lander.

But I want to change the electric set up from the brushed 380's to brushless and run 3 blade props (possibly - the nacelles depth  should make this possible)

What motors / esc's  would people recommend for a cheap brushless set up ?

auw is going to be around 3.5-4 lb I think.

Advert

Aidan,I have one of these.Builds into a very nice model which flys well and is very easy to handle.Sounds nice too.I am a trad modeller so finished mine exactly as per instructions/tissue dope/lightly sprayed in Spectrum.Rudders not needed.Hand launch easy.
I discussed the question of swapping the brushed 400s for four brushless+four escs with the designers.Their advice was:no advantage!You will always need a hefty weight in the nose so fit the largest capacity Nimhs/nicad pack you can find."I fly with 3300s.This yields spot on CG balance, which is vital but not particularly critical,ample power and reasonable duration.
There are no practical or efficiency advantages in fitting three blade props-the tiny ones supplied are very efficient and well proven.They are cheap,as are the motors.
I admit that nice scale,blunt spinners would improve static appearance enormously,but to date,too many other projects have got in the way of this.I may mould some ,as I did the exhaust stacks,but they would probably be just for show as it is difficult to get a fitting around the Gunther hubs.
I have a mag,somewhere,I think by that great expert,Nigel Hawes.Pretty much echoes the forgoing.Will try to find it for you.
Quite sure that electric enthusiasts will argue with some of the above.I wont get involved-I am a piston man. to the core. I do know that if the model is built as per,you will get a light,cheap Avro Lancaster which would be near impossible at this size with ic engines.Keep it as light as possible,balance exactly,keep all manoeuvres smooth,no violent speed scrubbing turns.You will like it.

Well for starters the efficiency of brushless is way better than brushed, and longevity of motors is better too. Of course the cost is higher, as you will need 4 new motors and speed conrtrollers, but of course, if you really wanted too, you could stull use NiCd cells.
if you still want to go this route, then THESE, or similar,  should be fine.
Around £50 for all four combos aint bad.

Thanks Peter for your advise.

stock it is then - I can always upgrade later if I feel the need to.
The motors and little 2 blade props seemd under powerd to me - but I new to the electric side of the hobby and it seemed like a step back going to brushed when everyone is talking brushless.

I'd really like to add a working bom bay as I'll have spare channels - nothing fancy , do you think that is possible in lieu of the added weight ?

Intersested in the article you mention btw.

Timbo - Thanks for the link , as I said above I'll try the stock motors first and see how they fare but I'll keep your link for future ref if I decide to go brushless.

Aidan,Be guided by Timbo as far as electrics are concerned.Certainly,a brushless set up,correctly propped and with a big Lipo,plus some lead ballast would yield a far superior performance.Mine was done as per because I had all the necessary kit to hand and,at the time,four new motors plus four escs and big Lipo were out of the question.Much cheaper now,of course.If you go the "stock"route,remember to include an extra wire with the supplied harness to permit brushless upgrade later.Bomb-bay?I dont think so.Keep everything as light and as simple as you possibly can.Leave bombing to the big ones.The Lanc  is only a little model and the wing loading is plenty high enough,but manageable.It must balance exactly as instructions.If you make every effort to keep the tail light,all will be well.Cut a hole in the bomb-aimers front moulding to allow air to flow through fuselage and help cool battery/esc if you go stock.You will probably be quite surprised by how much thrust those little motors and tiny props deliver.I certainly was.Good luck.

Hi Aidan
my York is the same size-72"- as your Lanc and flies in a very 'scale' manner on 4x speed 400s.
However, it is much heavier, with gearboxes to give more scale diameter props, scale retracting u/c and flaps.
If I could, I would definitely go brushless-I am using a lipo as it is much lighter than the two nicad packs I used to use, but the voltage/current is a bit much for the little motors, so full throttle (or WEP!) is used only for takeoff (she's not a hand launcher ) and I've already had to replace one motor.
If you can afford the 50 quid, I would go for Timbo's recommendation-it will save having to get into the nacelles/wings at a later date, and it's always better to have too much power than not enough!
Good luck.

thanks Yorkman,

3 wires seems to be the way forward the more I read and as you say more power is never a bad thing.

btw what retracts are you using ?

I dont see why given a brushless update this model could'nt carry some.

Your ideas on retracts for this bird please.Next I'll be thiking of flaps as well !