SwitchGlo Pro May 2010 Issue

jace

Is it just me or has Graham missed a major problem here? Reading the review theres conflicting information 'takes just 2.2mA for every 5 seconds of glow that it provides. In real terms, even if it takes you 10 seconds to get your model started, you'll lose just 22mA' Which is it, 22ma for 10 or 2.2 for 5? Surely if it's 2.2 for 5 then it would be 4.4 for 10 seconds etc. The other point and I feel this is a real danger is that passing the glow current through the switch harness is not a good thing to do and could present real danger causing Rx resets etc. I assume that the system works by PWM meaning that the current flow will be much higher for a short space of time. A typical plug taking 3 amps at 1.2v will take 12 amps for a shorter time.

These sort of current pulses will not help the Rx system at all, this one definately is not for me.

John

Advert

John, I think there's confusion between mA and mAh in the article - the switchglo website confirms that 2.2mAh of capacity is used to provide 5 seconds of glow.

Where Graham is correct though is in the 22mAh calculation - 2.2mAh x 2 x 5 flights = 22mAh.  You overlooked the fact that Graham was referring to a 5 flight session, not per flight.

I don't agree with your other point re. current pulses either.  The Switchglo will be using a switchmode conversion process (clue's in the name), just like the switching BECs of many ESCs these days.  Smoothed with an input capacitor the wiring in the receiver circuit and switch harness won't see current pulses, only a continuous current draw.

Don't knock it till you've tried it John! 

Ps. you can summise that 1.5A is drawn from the receiver pack by the 2.2mAh figure being quoted as 5 seconds consumption.  (2.2mAh / 0.00139 hours = 1.58Amps).  Not insignificant, but far short of the 12A which concerned you.

It would be worth pointed out that an adequate receiver power supply will be required - not sure if Graham emphasized this or not.

Edited By Chris Card on 04/04/2010 23:04:16

As you point out it is by Switch Mode which improves the situation somewhat, there are however other caveats namely interference and of course the good old CE marking neither of which is mentioned.

I prefer intelligent glow units such as the  South Herts Models one that senses the plug temp rather than simply switching on at set throttle or switch positions. The South Herts Models one is cheaper and in my mind does a better job, the downside (some may view it as such) being it needs a seperate battery.

I have no connection with South Herts Models other than being a satisfied customer BTW.

Regards - John